Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Aygo Speed Limiter

doomjeffs

Simple question.....Has anyone used theirs yet, if so can you explain exactly what it does as It has been described to me as cruise control !!!

Its not like Cruise control... But I use it all the time

Probably the best way to describe it is to compare it to cruise control

Cruise Control:

Usually you set a speed, and the car accelerates or maintains that speed (some advanced systems will also apply the brakes if the speed is considerabley over that of the speed set or if an object interacts with the radar some cars have fitted). One the cruise speed is set you can remove your feet from the pedals (or normally cover the brake, as you can adjust acceleration/speed with cruise stalk). If you brake or accelerate (hard) the system cancels automatically, and you have to set it again to enable it.

How the Aygo's Speed limiter works:

You set a speed (lowest is 20mph) or if your already moving above 20mph whatever your current speed is, again you can adjust the speed on the stalk afterwards. Whatever speed you set the car will not accelerate past in normal throttle control, but you must keep your foot on the throttle to maintain that speed. Now you can drive however you like the limited will stay set until you manually cancel it (so you can brake or accelerate and if you set it to 30mph, as soon as you hit 30mph the revs will die and the engine will only do as much work as is required to maintain that speed). There are a couple of extra bits of info: If you set the limiter and then depress the throttle hard(you can feel a slight click in the pedal) then you can continue accelerating beyond the limited speed, but the limiter will remain set for a further 30 seconds or so, so if your speed drops once more then your back on the limiter. The other thing is if you are going down hill and have your foot on the accelerator but aren't accelerating aggressively the digits on the dial will flash and it will beep to alert you that your exceeding your limited speed.

tl;dr: Cruise control doesn't require you to keep your foot on the gas, speed limiter does, cruise control cancels if you hit the brakes, speed limiter doesn't

It works great around town, where your in a 30mph zone for ages but your stopping at traffic lights and roundabouts all the time, as it removes the need to look at the speedo and you can concentrate more on the suicidal pedestrians.

It also works quite well on the motorway too as the wind and road resistance is enough to !Removed! the car with small downwards adjustments and it just accelerates normally with upwards adjustments.

The only issue I have with it is that you have to keep your feet on the pedals, which after an extended journey might leave them feeling a little numb (a problem you wouldn't have with cruise control)

Hope that helps

• Like 2

I tried today for the first time on my new Aygo x-clusiv and it was handy on the motorway when going through speed restricted roadworks. It felt a bit weird though when the revs died on me...

I tried today for the first time on my new Aygo x-clusiv and it was handy on the motorway when going through speed restricted roadworks. It felt a bit weird though when the revs died on me...

Thanks. I don't do a lot of motorway miles, so probably won't be using it much.

• 1 year later...

Hi, does anyone know if the speed limiter on a Aygo x-clusiv can be re-configured or converted to be cruise control?

• 3 years later...

I had a scary experience yesterday. Somehow the speed limiter came on and seeing that I'm not very techy, I didn't quite know what was happening. I was first alerted by an alarm but didn't know what that was. I've now gathered that it must have been because I was going faster than the limiter and was going downhill. When I got onto level ground the car wouldn't go faster than 20mph with the revs dying when i got above it. It was scary because I suddenly had a big queue of aggressive frustrated drivers behind me. I struggled to an area where I could pull off. Then called the AA. I had noticed a green dial indicator and when home I checked the manual which shows it has the speed limiter indicator.

Of course there was nothing wrong with the car when they ran the diagnostic checks.

When I turned the engine on again, it had obviously been disabled and I managed to get home OK.

How did the limiter come on without me knowing? and how do I turn it off?

The speed limiter lever is located on the right hand side of the steering colomn, below the wiper control.

Th activate the limiter the button on the end of the control is depressed once, and when activate the green light (like a speedometer) is shown in the instrument panel. To deactivate it, the button is depressed once and the green light is extinguished.

Moving the lever up or down increases or decreases the set speed.

The buzzer sounds when exceeding the  set speed when going downhill. Page 55 of the owners manual supplied with the car describes the operation of the limiter.

Presume you may have knocked the button accidentally at some point when entering the car.

Thank you for the reply and very quick to do so. It was very useful and obviously, I'll be ready next time. Though its probably worth practising with it, thank you again.

We have it on our current aygo and I use it all the time, quite a handy feature where 30 limits and motorway speed restrictions come in to force.

Alan