Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

100000 Miles In A Gen3 Prius

johalareewi

Passed the 100,000 miles mark today on the daily commute.

Here's to the next 100,000 miles.

• Like 4

good going!

I last saw 100k on my 2002 Gen 1 original Prius in December 2007 -

DSCF2240lores.jpg

It went on to over 163k - when I sold it, and I understand the currently owner is still using it daily.

It was the most reliable car I've had.

My Gen 3 is only up to 33k at the moment...

Goes in for the 100,000 mile service this week.

Apparently 100,000 is an extra big one (lots of fluid changes), but they don't change the transaxle oil.

Goes in for the 100,000 mile service this week.

Apparently 100,000 is an extra big one (lots of fluid changes), but they don't change the transaxle oil.

Interesting, I was playing with the fixed price servicing on the Toyota website and local dealers website the night before last, and for the gen 3 it recons the big big services are at 60k and 120k?

Transaxle oil is a lifetime part iirc when looking into it when buying my PiP.

My last Gen 1 Prius had done over 163,000 miles when I sold it, still with original transmission (aka power split device, transaxle) fluid.

I discussed changing it with my dealer once or twice, but it was pointed out that Toyota didn't require it ever to be changed and deemed it unnecessary.

However, the chap who bought the car does a lot of work on various Hybrids and changed the fluid himself. He reported back that it was very heavily discoloured (no sign of the original red colour left), but fortunately no significant metallic debris.

On that basis I would probably have it done in future if my current Prius gets towards 100k.

He did state that my Gen 1 had no transmission whine at all, unlike some Gen 1 & 2 models that had passed 100K, so I guess the jury's out, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. A fluid change costing maybe £60-£100 once every 10 years or so isn't going to drastically affect the overall running cost, whereas a new power split device probably would!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links