Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wonder What Toyota Will Do?

stompe

They have to break into your car, load up their laptop whilst your alarm is going, find the section to reprogram the key, faff about a bit, start the car and away they go. Maybe an alarming car is ignored in London but it wouldn't be outside my house.

But the Prius has dead locks (press Lock on the fob twice) and that could cause fun wriggling in through the broken window. I doubt we have much to worry about as no thief would want a Prius I'm sure and I bet they'd be as stumped by the foot brake as every single garage or tyre shop appears to be.

Does it apply to ALL keyless cars are just certain makes?

• Like 1

Never was a fan of keyless entry and ignition... I'm paranoid enough as it is about oyster cards, chipped passports and contactless credit/debit cards!

I think it's just certain makes, at least for now; The article specifically mentions BMWs, Audis, Ford Fiesta and Focus, Range Rover Evoque, Ford Transit and Mercedes Sprinter.

The problem with a lot of these contactless things is you don't need to hack anything - You can take a blank key and clone a valid one on to it. Autolocksmiths do this all the time, but with immobilizer transponders the range is very short so they have to stick your original into a radio hoop to copy its data then put the blank transponder chip in and copy it back onto that.

With keyless stuff, the range is a lot further so theoretically they'd be able to do a similar thing at a distance?

In another article I've seen on the same subject, approx four times as many Range Rovers than BMW X-series have been taken.

Not a fan of keyless entry either, don't know what it cost to develop and add to spec, but as far as I'm concerned it's money that could have been spent on far more worthwhile improvements.

As a previous poster commented I can't see a great demand for nicked Prius in this country, as opposed to, say, those bl**dy Chelsea Tractor things etc. The article mentions 'demand in Europe', but who'd want a RHD car over there anyway?

I don't think we've got too much to worry about guys.

The article mentions 'demand in Europe', but who'd want a RHD car over there anyway?

They're often broken for parts depending upon where they go, so other than dash and steering rack, most other things tend to be universal.

• Like 2

I think a fair few must be due to "blockers" so the vehicle doesn't actually lock - then straight onto a recovery truck and away.

Im more concerned that Insurance companies could revoke your insurance. Surely Toyota should do something?

Not a fan of keyless entry either, don't know what it cost to develop and add to spec, but as far as I'm concerned it's money that could have been spent on far more worthwhile improvements.

As a previous poster commented I can't see a great demand for nicked Prius in this country, as opposed to, say, those bl**dy Chelsea Tractor things etc. The article mentions 'demand in Europe', but who'd want a RHD car over there anyway?

I don't think we've got too much to worry about guys.

As others have said, the cars will be broken for parts.

They also find themselves on a ship to other RHD countries that have high import duties; Pakistan, Malaysia and parts of Africa.

I would expect Toyota insurance to contact its customers if they considered keyless Toyota cars a major problem.

Do not know about other insurance companies though!! There are some I would not trust to insure a bike.

I always dead lock our Prius.

Like GC states; a lot of non toyota dealers etc do not know how to start a Prius.

I find it amazing what folk leave on show in their parked cars. Some school run mums leave their I Pads etc on show in the car whilst they park and walk down to the school to collect their children. This happens in our street all the time.

The article mentions 'demand in Europe', but who'd want a RHD car over there anyway?

They're often broken for parts depending upon where they go, so other than dash and steering rack, most other things tend to be universal.

Yep okay - must admit hadn't considered that possibility.

Just back from a couple of weeks hols in Malta, they're obviously all RHD too, saw 6 or 7 Prii, mostly Gen 2, plus a Maserati and several Porsches (just the job for Malta - not!)

I would imagine most manufacturers together with Thatcham Research have already been looking at this for a number of months - as these type of thefts have been on the increase for the past 12 months or so.

Looking at information from Thatcham Research (the motor insurers automotive research centre), the Prius already has a five star (out of five stars) security rating for 'theft of', and a four star rating for 'theft from'.

For comparison purposes the Prius + has 5 stars and 4 stars respectively, the current Auris Hybrid has 4 and 3 respectively, and the facelifted Yaris Hybrid 4 and 2.

The Range Rover Evoque also has a 5 and 4 star rating - but being higher value and having a higher profile for theft of this type, will be in more demand as regards theft than the Prius, etc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29786320. Well that is a Prius gen2 in the picture.

Typical journalism, a picture of a keyless car with the key fob hanging there besides the start button, doh!

Maybe that was the only free/cheap image in their stock image library? Did the article even mention the Prius? Or was including the image, just an excuse to have another go at the Prius?

• Like 1

at least we don't get TV programs where the sound of a normal, manual gearbox car starting and driving off was dubbed on when a Prius was driven away, as happened in the very early days of the Prius...

• Like 2

at least we don't get TV programs where the sound of a normal, manual gearbox car starting and driving off was dubbed on when a Prius was driven away, as happened in the very early days of the Prius...

I guess that goes along with screeching tyres when on a gravel road.

• Like 1

or grass, snow, ice... :naughty:

I once watched a cowboy film - with a contrail in the sky.......!

And loud boom sounds when stuff explodes in space.
  • Like 1

I once watched a cowboy film - with a contrail in the sky.......!

I feel this thread has gone off the trail. Mistakes in films and tv programmes that were made to entertain, is hardly something to be worked up about.

We know movies are inaccurate. It might spoil the immersion in the fantasy for a few, but not many people are going to leave the cinema believing that jet travel was possible if it didn't fit the supposed time the story was set in.

I don't think anyone's worked up - just a little light hearted banter, sort of related to general topic of Hybrids (well, to start with, anyway), just like might happen with face to face chatting in the pub (or gentlemen's club, whatever)!