Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pls Help! I Received A Penalty Charge After I Sold The Car

xinsingtinhuk

Could you pls advise?

So I have bought a used Prius and part-exchanged my old car with an independent dealer. He has a proper office, so I don't think there is anything fishy about the dealer.

However, today I received a penalty charge for speeding. It is about my old car. The speeding happened one week after I part-exchanged with the dealer.

To put the situation in a timeline:
Two weeks ago: Buying and part-exchanging the cars. The dealer said he would send all the papers to DVLA.

One week ago: the speeding (old car) happened.

Now: I have received the DVLA confirmation for the new car. However, I have not received any DVLA confirmation that my old car is no longer mine.

I've just called DVLA, who said that my details are still with the old car. The operator advised me to write to DVLA, explaining that I have sold the car. I should also write to the police saying the same thing and give them any info, like the dealer's contacts.

So I will do it but am still worried. Do you think this problem can be quickly sorted?

Thank you

Never ever rely on someone else to either complete change of ownership details or send off the change of ownership information.

You need to write to both parties (DVLA and the issuer of the speeding ticket) and explain that you sold the car - be as precise as possible as regards time and date of when you handed over the part exchange.

It will also help if you can provide some evidence of where you were when the speeding infringement happened (eg if you were at work, signed winess statement, etc). Depending what evidence you can submit, you may be OK.

Thank you for your kind advice. I've looked at the papers that I have and found the receipt, which indicated the allowance for my old car. The receipt also spelled out the car model and its number. I will send a copy of this receipt.