Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica Gen7 58806 Sat-Nav Hu Into Gen6 *problem*

C_Hemingway

I need some advice

I'm looking at installing a Toyota Matsu****a 58806 CD/Radio and sat-nav into my '96 Gen6 Celica

I basically want a sat-nav no-one would notice to nick...

DSCF0116[1]

DSCF0117[1]

I've bought the head unit, DVD-drive, antenna & loom in one bundle ( eBay ) from a Gen7 pre-facelift but I can't seem to get it to work poperly...

( Ignore silver box in photo - Might be one of those parrot things )

I've checked the pinouts and the main power/speaker connectors ( 10-pin and 6-pin ) and they match

The unit powers in that it makes noises with the CD slot doing whatever it does when power is interrupted

http://www.ertasvc.ru/userfiles/image/Toy58806Pin.jpg

No buttons work

i.e. the on/off, CD, navi buttons don't turn it on

I insert a CD and it accepts it, loads, and then plays quietly

I can't stop, change the volume, seek, etc - Only eject the CD

Basically I have this guy's exact problem:

It definitely has something to do with the CD changer plug which, as in the video, has only 2 wires ( no changer )

Pin9 - Yellow - Bus Communication -ve ( TX- )

Pin10 - Pink - Bus Communication +ve ( TX+ )

DSCF0124[1]

The wires are spliced and become Yellow & Yellow / Black which go to the sat-nav DVD drive in what I think is the 8-pin plug, on the two furthest left pins
This leaves Yellow and Pink cut wires, from the original loom I assume

I'm thinking these wires go to a separate computer / module?

Also, I didn't get a plug for the 18-pin socket which would have been for what looks like a trip computer

Would these BATT / GND connections be needed to make it work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

You haven't removed the cd changer plug entirely have you? It still needs to be connected, with the tx wires scotch locked onto it. Also, you've correctly spliced the speed sensor/reverse wire?

CD changer plug is still connected ( albeit no changer with the kit )

x2 wires going into harness between HU and DVD drive with x2 cut ends already spliced into this connector

I also have 2 other loose wires in the HU / DVD harness ( at the HU end ):

Red / black

Purple / white

Would these be the speed / reverse wires?

Yeah even if there's no changer, the two wires coming from it should link into the main plug somewhere as IIRC it links the internal amp and display via the databus. Do you have the install instructions if not pm me and I'll send on? I'm not sure how it'd work in a gen 6 but in the gen 7 red/blk went to the reverse line in the centre jb and purple white was the speed sensor.connector at top of central jb.

If you have a look at the diagram below you'll see that those two wires (TX+ &-) coming from the cd changer port CN702 need to connect with the CN700 Tx wires. This allows the separate elements to communicate. This diagram proved very useful for me when building an adaptor harness for one of those xcarlink things so I can confirm it is accurate.

If you can get the display up and running first by getting these 2 wires into the game, then you can concentrate on getting your sat nav running. I've just recently done mine in a gen 7 so have a tonne of info if you need it. Addionally, that silver box, is your TMC module.

edit:

I just realised you've got no 18 pin connector, this might prove a problem for you, you'll definitely need some of these connections. Not sure which though I'd imagine +12V, switched 12v, ILL+ TX+ and TX-, ground are essential.

post-83618-0-61794700-1375618553.jpg

It lives!

I managed to open up the HU and add my own internal connections between the 18-pin & CD changer port / power connector

Just cosmetics now:

Slight mod needed for the LH bracket and the centre console needs widening

Connect the reverse / speed wires

Move the GPS antenna ( just stuck to the rear quarter glass right now )

Find & fit a new antenna for the DRG unit

Change the backlights on the HU ( amber ) to match the rest of the interior illumination ( green )

Thanks for the advice

Good stuff! Enjoy it.

A lot of folks would rather have a Tom Tom etc but I stuck with the OEM unit for much the same reason as yourself, highly anti-theft. Plus with the latest TNS310 DVD it holds its own weight.

• 3 months later...

It lives!

I managed to open up the HU and add my own internal connections between the 18-pin & CD changer port / power connector

Just cosmetics now:

Slight mod needed for the LH bracket and the centre console needs widening

Connect the reverse / speed wires

Move the GPS antenna ( just stuck to the rear quarter glass right now )

Find & fit a new antenna for the DRG unit

Change the backlights on the HU ( amber ) to match the rest of the interior illumination ( green )

Thanks for the advice

I have the same problem. You wrote you added own internal connection between the 18-pin and CD changer port . Could you please advise me in details what you exactly did. I don't want my radio to burn. Thanks in advance

Refering to the rear-view connectors image above:

CN700 pin3 --> CN702 pin10 ( Data + )

CN700 pin4 --> CN701-1 pin7 ( Ground )

CN700 pin8 --> CN701-1 pin4 ( Battery + )

CN700 pin11 --> CN702 pin9 ( Data - )

CN700 pin17 --> CN701-1 pin10 ( Illumination + )

CN700 pin18 --> CN701-1 pin3 ( Ignition + ( ACC ) )

Basically there's no internal connections between the front panel ( CN700 ) and the radio/CD/Sat-Nav

The front panel ( top connector ) needs to communicate with the main unit ( bottom connectors ) through the Data lines

It also needs it's own separate power connections

I don't have the physical connector CN700 ( and I assume you don't either ), but there was enough bare metal for me to solder wires directly to the pins behind the plastic moulding

• 3 months later...

For other people. I did not open my radio. It is possible to join together. I just did it

• 11 months later...

An easier solution is to buy the original Audio Conversion Wire (Part Number PZ457-00210-60). I did so and it works.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now thinking of upgrading from this system

Does anyone know if there is a TNS with colour screen HU which will fit with no ( or minimal ) further modification to the console surround or wiring loom?