Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear Issue

feisty83

Hey everyone

My 18 month old Yaris is having issues changing from 3rd to 2nd. It intermittently just gets 'stuck' and won't go into 2nd. It's only done 6,000 miles, has had its gear cables adjusted and a new clutch (because the gears were 'notching') but now there is this new issue

Any ideas?

Why worry? Since it is only that old, it'll still be under warranty and so if I were in your shoes, it would be back to the Toyota main dealer and keep going back and nagging them till they get it sorted. Or, are you having issues with the dealer?

Yes, my dealership said that they cannot identify any issues, and have told me to seek a second opinion elsewhere because they have changed the clutch and adjusted the gear cables already, and suggested it couldn't possibly be anything else apart from the way I use the clutch! (seems to be a common suggestion in the forums)

Do you know what the issue might be? I have noticed in the forums a lot of people having issues with gears. When I asked if this was a known issue, they said it isn't, but I suspect otherwise.

Invite the dealer to take it for a drive with you as passenger. let them show you "how to change gear proper".

• Like 1

That's an excellent idea Joe! When it comes to new cars, always make sure the onus stays firmly on top of the dealer...

I have no idea what the issue might be Chloe but dare I suggest that there seems to be a healthy (or not so...) dose of sexism being fired in your general direction by the dealer! Don't let them treat you this way and I'd say follow Joe's idea... be assertive with them and always keep the pressure on. I know you shouldn't have to but it seems to be the way of things with Toyota Dealers these days sadly...

I have no idea whether they are being sexist or not as I have no experience of whether the staff at this dealership treat their male customers the same way. What I do know is that if they do not fix the issue I might have to consult my solicitor. Wouldn't have thought it'd need to come to that given it's under warranty but hey-ho. The after sales service really does leave a lot to be desired.

Get Toyota(GB) involved too if the dealer continues to be "difficult".

There are a couple of dealers about 10 miles or so away. I have written a letter to Toyota customer services because this isn't on. I just want a car that changes gear without issues :(

How intermittent is the issue? Have they had a look at the gearbox?

If they've had a look they haven't mentioned it to me. I only drive about 60 miles per week over 3 days, but it happens at least once on 2 out of every 3 journeys

Might be the synchro rings in the gearbox are worn...

(Was watching an episode of Wheeler Dealers :lol: )

Might be the synchro rings in the gearbox are worn...

.... on a 2013 car that has done 6000 miles?

Sorry, it's a sort of wheeler dealer in-joke :lol:

That said, it does sound like a syncro, or at least gearbox issue to me. May be a manufacturing fault in the gearbox that slipped through, or (If it's not new new) previous owner ground up the 2nd gear?

Could try double-declutching and blipping the throttle to see if that makes it easier to get it to go in gear?

Hmm, actually, it may even be the gear oil - If the wrong gear oil is put it it can make the shifts really gritty/clunky, but that should affect all the gears and not just 3rd -> 2nd...

• 1 month later...

It could be something simple such as the clutch needing bleeding, but I suspect as previously mentioned an internal gearbox fault.

Contact Toyota customer services and insist it is fixed, and that they provide you with a Loan car.

Mark.