Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Driving Abroad

tcooper318d

I've a 2004 avensis which I'm going on a driving holiday to france in. Does anyone know how I work out where to stick the highlight deflects?

On my old car there was marking but can't see anything on this one!

I also have the same query for a 2001 Avensis.

My understanding is that the little black sticky deflectors should be used to cover the prism in the headlight lens to stop the beam blinding the oncoming French drivers.

As the headlight lenses on the Avensis are clear with no prism, similar to most modern cars, I guess the sticky deflectors would not be suitable.

I read on a motoring website, giving info on driving abroad, that modern headlamps have a concealed switch somewhere to adjust the shape of the beam. A quick flick converts the beam shape required for driving on the left to that required for diving on the right. I also recently read in the motoring section of one newspaper a letter from a BMW owner saying how convenient this feature was on their car.

I have had a quick look for a similar "switch" around the back of the headlights but I can't seem to find one. Does anybody know if the Avensis has one, and specifically where it is?

If there isn't one, then I guess the crude sticky paper/tape on the lens solution as suggested on the Corolla forum would be the only answer.

Thanks,

Graham.

Visited local Toyota dealer (OK, a last resort lol) to ask about beam deflectors for an 02 Avensis. There is an official part & part number for this item (at £5.95 incl VAT cheaper than Halfords), but the Parts Manager (nudge & wink) suggested that I ask him to photocopy the fitting templates and deflector outlines. It is outline 14. I don't have a scanner but maybe other parts managers would be equally co-operative (this one agreed it was a rip-off for Toyota not to issue updates but expect clients to buy new sat-nav discs.

Buy the Halfords own branded deflector beams. They are made especially for the new Avensis and show you where to put them (there's a dimple on the headlamp). They cost a fiver.

Toyota sold me the wrong Lucas 'Blue Peter' cut-out rubbish. Not even made for the new Avensis! They are crap at giving advice!!!