Do Not Sell My Personal Information

More Diesel Woes On Way?

PeteB

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30119279

According to this article, a European Court ruling may finally accelerate the UK's response to NOx and other pollutants, a significant proportion of which have been blamed on diesel vehicles.

When Paris banned half of all cars from their roads earlier this year on alternate days based on the registration number, Hybrids and EVs were allowed to ignore the ban.

This may well mean more cities being forced to introduce a congestion charge type levy on vehicles that do not meet Euro 6 emission standards, as London is planning.

Diesel is deadly.

But Euro6 diesel is virtually as clean as petrol for NOx and the particulates are much cleaner than petrol - including the Prius.

I'm involved in a discussion on the US forum about diesel at the moment and someone posted a picture of the inside of their exhaust pipe - it was totally clean after 4 years and 40,000 miles. Run your finger on the inside of your Prius (cold) exhaust and it'll be black with soot.

http://priuschat.com/threads/my-2014-passat-tdi-experience-so-far.147673/page-2#post-2104450 Page 2 half way down

So perhaps this proposed legislation is premature?

Perhaps in the US they're more advanced in cleaning up diesels - I don't think there are many Euro 6 diesel in western Europe yet, are there?

Perhaps in the US they're more advanced in cleaning up diesels - I don't think there are many Euro 6 diesel in western Europe yet, are there?

They're coming out this year - new models in 2014 and all cars in 2015.

There have been a number of cars that would have complied, which are probably the ones sold in the US where diesel cars have to pass the same emission requirements as petrol models.