Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg

impala77

Hi all, quick question, anyone who has a mk3 Yaris 1.33 manual. What average MPG are you getting?

My first full tank to full tank showed 46MPG, but I've only had it a month and I'm sure that will go down when I start ignoring the 'shift' lights.

Interesting I'm only getting 38mpg, and i'm hardly thrashing it! Is yours new or used?

Bear in mind that the fuel consumption people are getting may vary quite widely, depending on the type of driving environment they're usually in - eg city stop-start, mixed motorway/A-B roads, rural, etc.

I'm putting things together, wondering if the mpg could be linked with the jerky throttle issue I have. Running too rich maybe.

we used to see anywhere from 35-45mpg on the loan cars. best I had was 55 driving very carefully. Ignore the shift light, dont always go for 6th it can labour the engine and lose mpg

alex

Right, I find the shift light very annoying! Tells me to be in 5th at 30 mph !

Unfortunately gear shift indicators together with seat belt reminders and tyre pressure monitoring systems all became compulsory for all new cars sold within the EU from this month. Most manufacturers fitted gear shift indicators a while ago (eg the Auris had them from 2007).

I know it's progress but it's not always better lol

Interesting I'm only getting 38mpg, and i'm hardly thrashing it! Is yours new or used?

Mine's six months old with 8K on it.

Right, mines 3 yrs old with 10k. I've had it 8 weeks.

I'm getting 46-47 mpg according to the computer. Been averaging it for about 2000 miles. Done about 4000 miles total, 14 reg. Best average over a tank full has been 51.

Right. My dad has a fiesta 1.4 and does the same kind of driving of me and he's getting mid 40 ' s.

If you really want to be scientific and compare mpg, the following are important:

1. Fuel consumption falls in summer as engines become more efficient, and rises in winter. So mpg figures from April - September will be higher than from October to March.

2. Short journeys - under 7-10 miles use more fuel. Journeys under 2 miles, even more. Cold engines use more fuel

3. Traffic jams use more fuel.

4. Stop/start driving uses more fuel.

5. Speeds over 70mph use more fuel

6. Heavy braking uses more fuel.

7. Poor driving styles use more fuel.

8. Most in car fuel consumption figures are pants. You must - repeat MUST - use Fuelly or a recording of miles and fuel over 1,000s of miles to get accurate figures. Any instant figures, or figures over a few hundred miles are pants.

9. Driving styles affect fuel consumption. See also parking.And acceleration.

10. Tyre pressures affect fuel consumption. Unless you check regularly and use recommended pressures and an accurate guage - your figures are pants.

11. Hills affect fuel consumption. Fuel used is far higher than on the flat.

,Yes: I am a boring old #### and log all my miles, etc.

And I average 42mpg in a 1.4Jazz mainly urban driving. (and can prove it.. Fuelly and written records.

So anything from 35 - 50 mpg is possible depending on the above. And unless you check each of the above, comparisons are meaningless.

• Like 2

Good post Michael, another factor I would have also included the type of tyre. there are not only summer and winter tyres (winter tyres will worsen fuel consumption) but the characteristic make up of a tyre will have an affect as well.

Joe

Mines up and down like a yo-yo , check my Fuelly on my signature.

Major difference is the style of driving that i apply one week and then totally different the other.

I.e keeping it under 3K RPM and the next week flooring it.

Using Shell Nitro V Power doesn't change the MPGs that much either.

Tyres are stock ones that come with the car still.

Im coming up to the 3rd service with 30K on the clock.

Oh mines the CVT Auto version

It's going back today, (have struggled with it since day 1) they've been very good and said they'll swap it for any car on the forecourt. Just hope they've got something that actually drives like a car should!!

Lets hope they not all Rav4 on the forecourt! lol.

It's going back today, (have struggled with it since day 1) they've been very good and said they'll swap it for any car on the forecourt. Just hope they've got something that actually drives like a car should!!

If you're swapping the Yaris for another one or something else, make sure you take the intended replacement for a good test drive to determine whether the same issues are apparent.

• Like 1

It was a different car ! lol

Don't forget if it has the larger 16 inch wheels, the turning circle will be poor.

Drove a 63 plate sr, drove lovely, thought oh great it's just my car so I'll swap it for another. They found me a 12 plate sr bit more money and more miles, worked out monthly payments then test drove it, within seconds I knew it was jerky just like mine. So what's changed between the 11/12 models and the newer ones? Anyway upshot is can't afford to swap to the 63 plate and i'm not going to swap it for one the same!!

I posted before reading the whole thread and I don't think I have any thing useful to add sorry