Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting New Indicator Switch - Problem With Shrouds

Roystond

I have an Avensis first generation Saloon, S registration (1999), 110,000 miles automatic and a wonderful car entirely suitable for me.

The indicator turn light on the drivers side (i.e. right turn) only works intermittently which is quite dangerous. My regular garage could find no fault elsewhere and indicated it is likely to be the switch on the steering column. They quoted me roughly £146 for the switch and £80 for labour which seemed quite steep seeing you don't have to remove the steering wheel. (They have pretty good to me in the past and reliable). But I decided that at these prices I would have a go myself. I have the Haynes Workshop Manual (excellent) and have done some jobs before so moderate experience. I obtained a second hand part. Photos attached including a car almost identical to mine

According to the Manual you remove the lower facia on the right hand side and then remove three screws form the lower steering column shroud. You then lift of the bottom shroud and the top one should lift off. Two of the screws on the lower shroud are on the face of the lower shroud and hidden by the spokes etc of the steering wheel. You have to turn the steering wheel to access and remove them which I did. The third screw is right on the bottom of the shroud and is easy to see (if you are a contortionist) and remove.After some head scratching I did all this and the combined top and bottom shrouds were loose i..e. they could be nudged about but I could not separate them !! You can see where they join but I cannot find any other fixings. This is very frustrating and it looks as if I will have to take it in to the garage to proceed further.

Any thoughts please.

Roystond

post-103631-0-49218700-1416677184_thumb.

post-103631-0-02759100-1416677207_thumb.

post-103631-0-55284800-1416678396_thumb.

The two piece shroud is screwed together using the self-tapping type screws. One (or maybe two) are machine screws which lock it onto the column. Don't mix them up.

The two pieces also clip together. A gentle tug will part them. Alternatively a screw driver will pop them apart if used as a lever along the seam. You must be sure that all of the screws have been removed.

this is a common problem with the switch.usually no need to replace it.just clean it as i have done.conrad has given very good instructions on this.look up indicator switch problems.

• Like 1

I had the same problem with the indicator not working on the left.

You already have removed the 3 screws. There are locating pegs and clips that are holding the two halves together. Lower the steering column then prise the upper shroud away from the lower shroud. Once separated you can remove both covers.

I actually took the switch apart, then cleaned and reshaped the contacts, used silicon grease and sprayed contact lubricant. This was done a few years ago and the fault has never returned since. There are lots of small parts so a nice clean work surface, precision screwdrivers and good light are recommended. A camera will be handy to assist re-assembly.

When I looked at the contacts, it was dirty and a bit misshaped on the left-hand contacts compared to the right-hand. It did not take much to correct this.

You already have a replacement stalk switch so it is just a swap. I think your old one can be cleaned up, but it up to you if you throw it away. Unless the switch is new I would hold on to the old one just in case the replacement plays up in the future.

Thanks very much to all.

I have progressed further in that I have now removed the lower steering column facia but unfortunately I cannot remove the top one. There is something holding it in but very difficult to see from underneath. It is not clips to the lower shroud as the lower shroud is now well and truly out.

Gazza 1286 Sorry, I cannot see the screws you refer to as !Removed! the top and bottom together one of which is a machine screw and fixing to steering column.

I will look at it again. I think I will remove the front seat so I can lie on my back and get a better view than contorting in from the side. (also hampered by bi-focals).

I may be getting confused with the Carina E? Will adjusting the steering column not give enough space?

I had the same problem with the indicator not working on the left.

You already have removed the 3 screws. There are locating pegs and clips that are holding the two halves together. Lower the steering column then prise the upper shroud away from the lower shroud. Once separated you can remove both covers.

I actually took the switch apart, then cleaned and reshaped the contacts, used silicon grease and sprayed contact lubricant. This was done a few years ago and the fault has never returned since. There are lots of small parts so a nice clean work surface, precision screwdrivers and good light are recommended. A camera will be handy to assist re-assembly.

When I looked at the contacts, it was dirty and a bit misshaped on the left-hand contacts compared to the right-hand. It did not take much to correct this.

You already have a replacement stalk switch so it is just a swap. I think your old one can be cleaned up, but it up to you if you throw it away. Unless the switch is new I would hold on to the old one just in case the replacement plays up in the future.

Thanks very much to all.

I have progressed further in that I have now removed the lower steering column facia but unfortunately I cannot remove the top one. There is something holding it in but very difficult to see from underneath. It is not clips to the lower shroud as the lower shroud is now well and truly out.

Gazza 1286 Sorry, I cannot see the screws you refer to as !Removed! the top and bottom together one of which is a machine screw and fixing to steering column.

I will look at it again. I think I will remove the front seat so I can lie on my back and get a better view than contorting in from the side. (also hampered by bi-focals).

I have found the photos from 2009.

There is one screw on the ignition barrel that may be holding the upper shroud post-76861-0-92117400-1416760093_thumb.j.

Next squeeze and unplug the connector, then undo the screws to the indicator stalk. post-76861-0-49647300-1416760397_thumb.jpost-76861-0-66009300-1416760580_thumb.j.

I have further pictures of the switch opened up and being greased the first time, but since you are doing a swap this should suffice.

As I mentioned earlier, if the replacement switch plays up you can take the best parts from the old unit.

Konrad

This is now fixed but I have to confess I still could not get the top shroud off so I asked my garage to do it. They did and then reassembled everything. What was holding it in place was ONE final screw i had not seen. I cannot send a photo because he had reassembled but it is an upward pointing screw about an inch down from the ignition barrel.

On the switch coming out but not the one going in there was a black box attached - see photo - does anyone know what this is please. Everything is working OK without it. Photo in later post.

He reassembled everything and he charged me nothing as opposed to the £240 that was originally quoted!!

I must also compliment Breakeryard who supplied the switch quickly and efficiently.

Thanks again for help.

This is now fixed but I have to confess I still could not get the top shroud off so I asked my garage to do it. They did and then reassembled everything. What was holding it in place was ONE final screw i had not seen. I cannot send a photo because he had reassembled but it is an upward pointing screw about an inch down from the ignition barrel.

On the switch coming out but not the one going in there was a black box attached - see photo - does anyone know what this is please. Everything is working OK without it.

He reassembled everything and he charged me nothing as opposed to the £240 that was originally quoted!!

I must also compliment Breakeryard who supplied the switch quickly and efficiently.

Thanks again for help.

I did notice that mine had the extra box that your replacement didn't have.

post-76861-0-01000200-1416943394_thumb.jpost-76861-0-78018600-1416943638_thumb.j

There are a couple of reasons why the replacement does not have the extra (relay type) box.

It could be be a later version, designed with every thing internal.

If the switch is identical including front fog light and everything works, that's fine.

Konrad

Thank you for extra information.

On reflection overnight I think that of the three photos from 2009 you posted earlier the top one which shows the screwdriver pointed to the screw on the ignition barrel was spot on - that was the one I missed. I thought wrongly looking at the photo it was right at the top end of the barrel and as I did not find it there I thought there wasn't one but in fact it is further down the barrel. I should have spotted it.

Thanks again