Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tailgate Motor Repair

phil122

Hi. new to here. Is there anywhere that will or do sell repair parts for tailgate motor teeth on cog worn away. Hilux 1992.

Thanks

Hi Phil

Rear window motors are notorious for stripping their gear.

Have a look on eBay as they are cheap enough to replace rather than repair, failing that you can always swap it for the motor in the rear nearside door as they're identical

Hope this helps

Paul

Thanks so much for that Paul.. Any ideas why front passenger window goes up but not down. motor is fine when direct power but soon as plug back in wont go down,,

Thanks again

Gidday, for tail gate issue get the rear left window motor it is the same and for some reason cheaper than a tailgate motor.

As for the intermitant functioning of front left window, have you swapped the switch out? If not do that.

Thanks swapped the motor. Works fine now. As for front passenger window

Switch is fine motor works with direct power

I've tested drivers switch aswell. Getting one live wire for the window to go up but not down.

Hi mate,

Window problem is more than likely a broken

cable in the door harness, where it passes from door

frame to the door, have good look with a multi meter.

good luck. check BOTH doors tho'

Gman.

• 4 months later...

Your back window motor will play up again if you use it,the back window is far to heavy for the bearings and the teeth...i fitted a new genuine toyota one in mine (from Roughtrax ) 2 years ago and it's starting to slip already,seems to be an going expensive problem,so don't buy a new one - it won't last !

The rear left window motor is more than sufficient owing to the gearing that holds the window. the rear window is heavier there is no denying that, however the gearing increase on the rear window when compared to the rear door is proportionate to the wieght increase, significant.

I replaced my rear window motor with the rear door motor 6 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat. I live, work and play in an extremely dusty environment, I open and shut my rear window no less than 15 times a day, every day. if it fails tommorow I would do the same again.

• 2 months later...

The rear left window motor is more than sufficient owing to the gearing that holds the window. the rear window is heavier there is no denying that, however the gearing increase on the rear window when compared to the rear door is proportionate to the wieght increase, significant.

I replaced my rear window motor with the rear door motor 6 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat. I live, work and play in an extremely dusty environment, I open and shut my rear window no less than 15 times a day, every day. if it fails tommorow I would do the same again.

Sorry I stand corrected! I've just got round to taking it to bits and half the teeth are missing from the regulater. I'm going to fit a new one this weekend, should work fine again after that, thanks for your input!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links