Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 Corolla 2.0 D4D Engine Oil Type

elCommando

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I just need some help choosing the correct oil for my 2004 Corolla 2.0 D4D, as this is the first time I am getting it serviced myself and I don't know nothing about cars to be quite frank.

Anyways, the manual says I should use 5w30 which I have been searching for on eBay. However, there is a fully synthetic and a semi/part synthetic option available. I'm not sure what to choose between the two as it doesn't say in my manual.

What are the differences between the 2 types of engine oil? and which should I choose?

Any answers from owners of a similar car would be a great advantage. Thanks.

As long as the oil is 5W-30 and meets API SL, SM or SN specification you should be OK.

this is good long life oil, you will need 5.9 litres for your engine. I use this, engine is nice and quiet.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161189048151

or there is Toyota oil which is only semi synthetic.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-5-Litres-Texaco-5W30-Synthetic-Blend-Motor-Oil-/360617582922?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53f67ba14a

for the oil filter you need this one. if you want a aftermarket go for the ADL blueprint or mann.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-TOYOTA-AVENSIS-COROLLA-RAV4-2-0-DIESEL-OIL-FILTER-90915-30003-8T-/321263019251?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4accc4a4f3

Hi again, thank you for the replies guys.

One more question... should I get the semi synthetic or fully synthetic?

Thanks.

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/accessories-engine-oil/engine-oils/engine-oil/5w30-engine-oil/?521776041&0&cc5_247

.Always go for a full synthetic oil. Take a look at the Triple QX oils! They have a few on there. Use discount codes "Saveme75" to get it cheaper. Get a genuine Toyota filter or look for makes mann, Hghenst and Mahle. These are way better than the likes if FRAM ect. Asda have a sale on oils atm. Very high specs! For cheap money at £14. Don't believe the hype about brand names ectz, look at the specs! If they are what you need! Judt buy it! I have just bought 20Ltr of there 5w-40 for my Celica GT4 205 with a 300bhp engine! So if its good enough for that then...

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/accessories-engine-oil/engine-oils/engine-oil/5w30-engine-oil/?521776041&0&cc5_247

.Always go for a full synthetic oil. Take a look at the Triple QX oils! They have a few on there. Use discount codes "Saveme75" to get it cheaper. Get a genuine Toyota filter or look for makes MANN, Hghenst and Mahle. These are way better than the likes if FRAM ect. Asda have a sale on oils atm. Very high specs! For cheap money at £14. Don't believe the hype about brand names ectz, look at the specs! If they are what you need! Judt buy it! I have just bought 20Ltr of there 5w-40 for my Celica GT4 205 with a 300bhp engine! So if its good enough for that then...

Hi Mistermena,

Thanks for the reply. I'm reading alot about semi vs full synthetic and there are some people who have had leakage problems with their Corolla's whilst using full synthetic and others who have been ok with using full synthetic oil, so I'm none the wiser.

There are a lot of contradicting opinions out there (just confuses me even more). Anyways, since my Corolla urgently needs an oil change I've ordered toyotas 5w30 semi synth and a toyota oil filter from a local shop, so I'll just see how that goes for the next 5000 miles, wish me luck !

Right. Older engines with plenty of build up of carbon deposits may indeed start leaking if you use a fully synthetic oil. Not immediately as it will take time for the synthetic oil to dissolve the deposits.

Unless yours have not been regularly serviced OR rarely driven longer journeys it is unlikely to have much buildup.

If you follow the recommendations and change oil every 10.000 miles you will be absolutely fine with the semi-synthetic and have a clean engine, and save yourself a heap of money.

Sent from my iPhone

Synthetic oil does not make an engine start to leak! The truth is there was a leaking gasket before it was used! These leaks (9 times out of 10) come from the rocker cover gasket and leak down the back and sides of the engine block. My 20 year old Celica gt4 205 has full synthetic oil in it! And that doesn't leak oil. Its a myth that had been banded round the internet... Use a full syth! Even better a Ester or double Ester oil like Mobil 300V (If spec's allow) your engine wil, thank you for it! Thats if your engine isn't already shown signs of wear! If so! Then not worth it, stick to a synth...

As long as the oil is 5W-30 and meets API SL, SM or SN specification you should be OK.

Always look at the API second letter! The further up the alphabet the better the oil! API SN is the latest spec. So SN is better than SM...

S=Spark ignition for Petrol fueled engines... C= Compression ignition for Diesel fuel vehicles. There isn't realy specific oils now for oil burners when it comes to synthetics. You will find the likes of Mobil 1 is the same oil in the Petrol can as the Diesel one! Its just that folks with oil burners like to see words like Turbo Diesel oil on the tin. Long gone are the mineral and semi synthetic oils with high alkaline content to combat the acidic diesel fuel...

where does this leakage occur?

Good question.

In the two cases (none were Toyota) I've experienced it has come from the crank at the flywheel end and once at the cam (much less). Leakage started after a few hundred miles using synthetic oil. As I mentioned, this happens on old engines that have not been looked after and they are essentially sealed by the gunk in them.

Again, this is rare nowadays and very unlikely to happen using modern oils, in a modern engine like the 1CD-FTV we're talking about in this thread. I've covered many miles with this engine without any leaks of any kind. So this should not be one of your concerns.

Use semi- or fully synthetic. Either will work. The important bit is that you change it regularly.

• Like 1

Looks very good tbh mate. I would be trying to find out who makes it for them so you could see what the TBN number is plus VI index and Flash and pour points are ect. But I would wing it down to Asda and look at the stuff they have got with is Triple R in Asda bottles for £14 for a 5Ltr can. I bought the 5-40 version which sells on Amazon for £35 plus. I will try and post up the specs that the manufacturer kindly confirm and sent me.

I haven't got the time to work out how to do it. But if you go onto the Triple R site and down load the pdf spec file fir the Triple R 5w-40 full synthetic diesel oil! You wil, see it has a good TBN for snti wear. Plus the VI and flash points are very good. Take a look at the Mobil 1 specs! Its not that far away! Apart from the TBN on the Mobil 1 is much better.

But when you think its £14 instead of 50 quid! It's a no brainer. Btw... I have 20Ltr of unopened( green top) Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 C2 spec that I will not be using! Open to offers.

Hello to all,

I have exact engine (1CDFTV) in my corolla 2002 and instead of starting a new thread I'll ask here. On the clock is about 110000 km. In average, previous owner drove between 8000 and 9000 km per year mainly city drive. I'm going little more (10.000 to 12.000 km per year)

According to the manual that came with the car, recommended oil is 5W30 API CF4/CF. However from the first km in Toyoyta service 5W40 Castrol oil was used. I know this for sure because previous owner has kept all receits. I live in southertn-east part of Europe, where winter/summer temperatures are in average -10°C/30 (few day above 35°C)°C. When I asked in the service why is that, they told me this is because of the temperature span over the year.

Now it's the time to change oil and I wonder should I switch to manuals recommendation and use oil 5W30 (like Castrol Edge which has API/CF in addition to ACEAxxx specifications), or should I continue using 5W40?

One more thing, I have used oil selectors tools that can be found on web sites of different manufacturers and here's the results:

1. Premium: Shell Helix HX7 5W-40, Standard: Helix HX7 10W-40

2. Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5W30, Quartz 7000 Energy 10W40 for above -10°C

3. Castrol Edge 0W30, Castrol Edge 5W30C3

4. ENEOS Sustina 5W40, ENEOS Premium Hyper 5W40

Since Toyota motor oil is actually Eneos oil (they use this oil as TGMO) and its suggest 5W40, now I'm even more confused.

So basically I need your advice regarding two questions:

1. Which oil gradation should I buy?

2. IS it true that I need to pay attention not to buy oil suitable for DPF filter, since my engine doesn't have it, because this type of oil containes additives that can do no good to my 2.0 D4D 66kW engine?

Thank you all for your help

The 1st thing to go for is a full synthetic or better still an Ester or double ester oils like Motul 300V ect. EDGE is a cracked hydro carbon even though its the latese VW 507 00 (Until 508 00 ) comes out! I would stick toa 5w-30 grade! But be aware that these grades always tend to have a lowe TBN than the 0w-40 that are found in Mobil 1 0w -40 for anti wear. As long as you go for a full synthetic and not semi! You will be fine. Look for oils with the highest Flash point and Viscosity Index! The higher the number the better. Also go for oil filters like MANN/Mahle/Hengst. Or original ones! The rest are $h!£