Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Tsport Suspension

Blade

Hi everyone!

As an owner of a Corolla TSport myself, I wanted to ask you guys about your car's handling. I already had a serious accident :( (no injuries, just extensive damage) due to my Corolla's poor road handling. For me the car is too high and too soft for the great engine-gearbox package. As I am waiting to pick it up from my Toyota dealer I am looking at suspension solutions.

I 've seen TTE's adjustable height suspension but I couldn't find any technical data or price. Did any of you guys tried it already? They also told me from Toyota Hellas (I'm living in Greece) that is not available yet.

Anyway what do you think that we could do to make our Corollas better on the road?

lol...sorry but you didnt have accident because of Corolla's bad handling, but due to the fact that you didnt know its limits.

You can lower the car by 3 cm (TTE springs), and get 17" or 18" low profile tires (215/45), and you will have a tight setup... special TTE customized suspension setup costs 1,800 Euro in parts only, so it is too expensive and it would be too harsh for normal driving.

But nothing will save you from physics though... keep in mind that all of that tuning might mean that you will pass that turn at 5-10kmh faster than before, not 20kmh

Sorry to hear about your accident. You're most likely referring to TTE full suspension kit (consisting of springs and dampers), please take a look at http://www.tte-saj.com/pdf/COROL_2.PDF. I don't know if somebody has had this kit installed, but it doesn't come as a surprise if not namely it's quoted at 1800 EUR (in Finland) vs. lowering springs at 335 EUR. So it's pretty hefty investment.

I believe most T Sport owners have opted for TTE lowering springs with original dampers. This should be standard on any T Sport, as they improve looks and handling. The car is more solid and firm, without being too hard and harsh. You could also consider 17" wheels/tyre setup for more responsive behavior and better tire-road contact...

Hi Blade,

Firstly may i say that it's good hear you suffered no serious injuries during your crash. But to blame the cars poor handling, I'm not sure you've come to the right place for sympathy, we are all very found of our T Sports here and although I have seen a few criticisms of the car yours is the first I've seen that suggests the car has poor handling, You don't give any details of how your crashed occurred or the time of day/ night and driving conditions, so I would jump to the conclusion that your a bad driver. But I can testify to the use of all the safety features the T Sport comes with, and have just about found the limits of the car, and they are fair better than my limits as a driver, proved by trying the same corner twice with and with out TC on, showing me just how much the car does assist my driving.

My T Sport is in the workshop today (05/03/03) having TTE f/spoiler Toyota UK side skirts and TTE lowering springs fitted, I'll be perfectly honest here and admit to having the springs for two reason the first for me, being looks, and secondly the ride. But I'm not expecting to now go out and drive the same route that much quicker, but will let you now my views in a week or two

;)

Thank you all for your replies!

First of all I would like to thank you for your concern about my accident. I made a mistake in my post. I didn't crash DUE to Corolla's handling. But I think I could save the situation if the car was better tuned for handling according to its engine. Anyway the issue here it's not my accident or how bad driver I am. My opinion is that the car's suspension is not up to its engine-gearbox-overall quality and it's cornering performance is much lower than it could be with a better one. If you ever drove a Celica TSport you know what I mean. This is why I am looking for a better suspension.

I would try the lowering springs as you suggest. Since the TTE suspension is still a mystery I would go the easy way. Maybe TRD will develop a TRD Sportivo set like the Celica's one.

By the way did any of you tried to turn the VSC off somehow or reprogram it?

Hi,

i have just followed an Audi S8 for a while, through fairly "light" turns going 160-170 km/h in my CorollaTS (only lowered 30mm with TTE springs), and it was definetly handling better than S8.... If I had wider and bigger tires, it would be much better as well... however, day to day driving is what I do the most so i would NOT be pleased if car had even 10% tighter suspension... it would simply be not acceptible for my daily driver...

TTE suspension kit is similar to that of Celica's...and TTE was responsible for WRC efforts (and titles) and is now responsible for F1 operations of Toyota, so I trust their stuff is the best... Kit is height adjustable (up to 50mm) and costs 1,800 Euros... if you dont mind the price and you really need a tight handling car, it will be definetly worth it...

http://www.tte.de/tuning/website/Accessori...html#suspension

But i do think that combination of TTE lowering springs + 17" 215/45 tires would do wonders for high speed stability of the car

:D I have just got my TSport Corolla back from the workshop having had the TTE 30mm drop springs fitted, I have had 17" wheels with 215/45 fitted since i got the car, after only 2 hours driving I completely agree with SP this has done wonders for the cars apperance, and has improved the cornering, though I must addmitt to being impressed with how it hanled previously, and with out effect the comfort too much. This is my 3rd Corolla but the first car I have had that I would consider to be a perfomance car, it provides me with a huge grin every time I drive it, and I continually leave many BMW's and others way behind.

Blade why would you wish to turn the VSC off ?????

if you guys put lowering springs in your Corolla Ts you all might end up damaging the damper, you guys need a damper that has the rebound and bump tuned for those springs, unless the stock damper is stiff enough like the new Tiburon's damper...

Hey blade, if the TTE kit is not available, go and buy the Sportivo kit from TRD for our cars in Japan, but that kit doesn't include the sway bars so you might as well go and buy the Hotchkis antisway bar set for the Matrix and get some camber plates, and thats all...

but if you are short of money like me, buy the lowering springs, some dampers, camber plates, and the progress group rear anti-sway bar...

Hey blade, if the TTE kit is not available, go and buy the Sportivo kit from TRD for our cars in Japan, but that kit doesn't include the sway bars so you might as well go and buy the Hotchkis antisway bar set for the Matrix and get some camber plates, and thats all...

Good idea but how can I do that? The sites I checked were in Japanese...

By the way I was thinking of getting more in control of my car this is why I asked about VSC. I would like to have a switch like TRC.

Hi Blade

I live in Greece too (Chalkida) and I am about to buy a car. May I have

your personal email to ask you somethings about Corola TS?

My email is: jd@teihal.gr

regards

john

Bobby,

The TTE 30mm springs are designed to work with the exsiting dampers that was the reason I and others have opted for them, plus we will not have any warrrenty issues should problems occur many miles down the road, and now having had a few more miles in the car since fitting them, I am very happy with my choice of up grade, I have a stretch of road I cover frequently, which has a section that inludes some great bends, your start by going over a slight humped bridge, previously 85ish would have the car almots of the ground this is follewd immeateately by an off camber bend, get the hump wrong and you in bother here, today i took the humped bridge with a three digit figure on the speedo, and the bend was swallowed up with ease, the car sits much flatter through the bends and hugs the ground better, I would agree with any one who thinks Toyota should sell the car like this as standard, for the type of car it is the TS needs this extra hadling.

I also can not over emphasie the inhanced appearance of the car with out so much space around the trye.

the figures above are mph not K. :D

So jake. When are you going to send the photos in so we can all have a good look. So you really think that it is worth getting the TTE lowering springs?. It sounds like it has transformed the smile factor from this :D to this :lol:

Am i correct jake?

jerry!!

Hi guys going to be a slight delay, I have to go away for a few days with work, so pic will be delayed, but this will give me more time behind the wheel, which is a lot more fun now :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ok jake. Look forward to see those pics. :D

jerry!!

That's nice to hear Jake, So where I can buy those TTE lowering springs for my Corolla TS??? Since I live in central America is a little bit difficult to get it imported, so anyone can help me???

By the way, HOw much the TTE Lowering Springs lower the car front/rear???

I think we will need some Camber plates to correct the camber when lowered because I dont want to wear out the inner part of my tire so damn quickly...!!!

ALso, when lowered how is the car's response to pot holes???

Because I don't think I will lower my car because the roads in my country are full of potholes...

That's nice to hear Jake, So where I can buy those TTE lowering springs for my Corolla TS??? Since I live in central America is a little bit difficult to get it imported, so anyone can help me???

TTE = Toyota Team Europe

I bet there are some TRD lowering springs as well, so your local dealer should have one of them at least.... springs are designed specifically for Corolla TS, you dont have to install anything else... Ride is not much harsher... I dont notice it mostly and our roads are full of potholes as well