Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Noise

Avensis116

Hi all

Well i have the same problem has some of you do a steering noise in slow speed and sharp turns.

Well my local dealer says he has a solution for it..... :thumbsup:

He is going to change the full steering :hokus-pokus: :eek:

Well thats a good solution, if you dont know what it is just replace the part with a new one, its the easy way :yes:

I used Salvador Caetano in Faro Portugal

They are going to change the full steering.

Hi,

I have a 51 plate 1.8VVTi GS Avensis manual hatchback. Complained about squeaky/graunchy steering and had the rack, column, pump, pipes and front crossmember replaced. Apparently the rack is of a new design. All quiet so far and, I think, steering is a little lighter than before.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I like many others have this problem, Toyota GB and the dealer say that this is a known problem, and I have letters to prove this. They also say that the fix will not be available for 2-3 months. I am hoping to have this fix done under my extended warrantee which expires in December.

Hope this is of interest.

Alan

If its a problem that occoured inside the warranty and they know about it, they will have to sort it regardless of warranty status

• 1 month later...

My dealer, in Warwick, told me that a special grease is needed and that will fix it

Well, it did for about 3,000 miles and now there are just the first slight indicataions that the slight knocking and lumpiness is going to start up again

Good to hear I am not alone in worrying about this

hi all.

Myne they solved it by changing the entire steering, now it is OK and the steering is lighter. :thumbsup:

My 2001 Avensis Vermont developed this "noisey" steering prob, my dealer fitted two new

steering coloums and a new steering rack in an attempt to cure it, then while driving back from a trip "up north" just a few miles from home the steering completely failed AT 50 MPH!!!!!

the car ran off the road, fortunately I didn't hit anything before managing to stop the vehicle.

On investigation the two steering rack retaining bolts had BOTH come adrift hence NO STEERING,

I can't praise my dealer enough for their handling of this incident,however the response from

Toyota GB was less than I would have expected, after several weeks, a completely modified

front sub-frame,steering rack +other bits arrived at the dealership and where duly fitted to the car,all this on car that had covered 13000 miles!!!

Apart from fixing the car the only other thing I received from ToyotaGB was a two year extension to my warranty.

GK7. gk7@brighton.ac.uk

Hey guys.......I'm a technician and all the problems you all describe are known of and are fixable.....if they cant fix them they must be thick....if you wanna know anything just ask...i'll do my best to help....

chris

Hi there Chris

See if you can solve this one...

My on board computer in my avensis D4D 10/03 has a 200 KM about 120 miles Range error and they say its normal do you know something about this.

Thanks in advanced. :thumbsup:

range error? as in it being inaccurate??? Its usually about 25 miles out....I need more info sir........

Chris

chris have you come across the trip computer reseting itself randomly?. i most notice it when reversing down off slopes.

it resets itself like when you fill up with fuel.

the garage carnt find anything wrong with it

thanks

matt

Have you got on the instant setting....stupid question i know but....who knows?

My corolla does the same..

Chris

As this is a common fault - will it be repaired by the dealer, even if the car is out of warranty. (Mine is a 2000)

Hi Cris, more info for you.

Well my average comsuption is about 6.2 l /100 km and the range is always 750 km.

Just for example: one time i had a average of 5.8l /100 km in the end of the tank, and the light came on at 750 km, as the average was 7.5 or 8 l/100km.

Well my car takes 60 liters deposit, with a average of 5.8 it would have a range of about 1000 km or so, and when i fill it up it still had 12l in the tank.

Here you see the diference beetwen the real range and the range it says it has.

• 1 year later...

I like many others have this problem, Toyota GB and the dealer say that this is a known problem, and I have letters to prove this. They also say that the fix will not be available for 2-3 months. I am hoping to have this fix done under my extended warrantee which expires in December.

Alan

Alan

Dear Alan

Your mentioned about the letters form Toyota admiting there is a fault. Is there any chance I could have a copy?? via email or post. I would be grateful for the reply

kind regards

swav

swav

Which steering fault do you have?

If it's the same as mine read this thread:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7041

The repair procedure explained by the Treuno solve my problem (cost £10)