Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Rav4 Has A Dpf?

StreetHawk

Firstly, hello everyone!

I'm helping my mother in law find a suitable RAV4. Looking for a 5dr approx 2007 model , with diesel engine but would prefer one without a DPF filter.

Which engines have a DPF, is it just the T180 ?

Many thanks for any help... :-)

DPF where only fitted on Rav4.3 from early 2006 on depending on engine then age.

All T180, SR180 have DPNR

All 2.2 Auto transmission have DPNR

All 2.2 manual transmission from mid 2010 have a DPF

Thanks for that, appreciated.

I've been reading about the head gasket failures on the 2.2 Diesel engines between 2005 and 2008. Seems to be exactly the model we were looking at.

Would the general consensus be to give this engine a miss or only buy one that's had the engine rebuild already?

My 2009 150 bhp does not have a dpf and does not have the engine problems. It is a 59 reg just 5 years old this month with 65k on the clock. It is a great car to drive and own with no problems so far after 15k miles and 20 months ownership.

In the early days - engines were rebuilt by the dealer and there were some issues. Later, new / factory rebuilt replacement 2/3 engines were fitted - many of these have now covered significant mileage with virtually no issues. Cars with replacement engines are a very good buy. A Toyota dealer can confirm if the engine has been replaced from the Reg. / VIN number.

• Like 1

Thanks all, will see if she can stretch her budget to a later one.

So the 134bhp engine is the one to avoid unless it's had a replacement engine and the 150bhp engine doesn't have the head gasket issues?

No - all Rav4 2AD 2.2 litre engines up to late 2008 are potentially affected. There have been a few early 2009 cars affected but these were manufactured earlier in 2008 but not registered until early 2009.

Depending on your annual mileage - you may wish to consider a petrol version from 2006 onwards. These have a 150BHP engine, are cheaper than a diesel and are virtually bulletproof - but obviously aren't as frugal on fuel as diesel versions.

Ok cheers.

Is there any way to tell if the 134bhp engine is the newer unaffected version other than looking for a 2009 build date?

• 3 years later...

I have a 2006 rav 4 t180,wen ime at a steady speed on motorway, about every 7 seconds,I get a plume of white smoke,no loss of power,it's done over 112000miles,can anyone help.

John, welcome to TOC :smile:

DPNR  (Diesel Particulate NOx Reduction) is a specific Toyota type of DPF.

it sounds like your DPF may be trying to regenerate. What is your typical driving profile i.e. short, urban journeys or long high-speed work ?

Another possibility, is your coolant dropping at all?

I travel on motorway daily,doing bout 80mph.don't drive slow,it never does it when cold,but once it's warming up its terrible. It's not using water.

Thank you for the answer to the dpnr question ,an cheers 4 the welcome,I've only had it for bout three weeks, but it's getting quite embarrassing. 

it could be that the DPF needs replaced, it's possible usually anywhere from 80,000 miles>.

Do you know how it was driven before you got it? Do you know if it was run on low ash DPF-compatible C2 oil?

No ideas heidfirst, bought it from a garage,had a test drive ,really nice to drive very powerful, then bought it,should of done my homework.are the head gaskets prone to fail also.

If you just bought it from a garage you have very good rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. https://www.whatcar.com/news/your-legal-rights/

A small % of AD series engines (the T180 is a 2AD - FHV) develop, head/head-gasket issues. The problem is that on a  car like yours the cost of fixing that in the Toyota-approved manner will be more than the car is worth. Toyota say that these should not be skimmed but we do know of people that have & seemed OK afterwards.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links