Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spacesaver Spare Wheel Kits

FROSTYBALLS

For those who are thinking of ordering a new Auris or Auris Touring Sport, in the November 2014 Price List Toyota now list spacesaver spare wheel kits for the Auris hatchback at £100 and for the Auris Touring Sport at £125.

• Like 1

Does this kit come with the mouldings that fit around the OUTSIDE of the space saver wheel so that the wheel sits in the wheel well and can't slide about? Sounds like a fair price if this is the case.

Presumably as they are listed as 'spacesaver spare wheel kits' they come with the required parts - you would need to check with your dealer.

I purchased the Space Saver kit from the Toyota Dealer when I bought my 2013 Auris Icon

The kit contained;

1) Bag for the jack (jack came with the car I bought)

2) 4No small rubber rectangular blocks, one side has double sided tape (to mount the space saver tyre on in the wheel well)

3) Plastic screw to hold tyre secure.

4) Space Saver tyre

Remove from the wheel well the polystyrene moulding containing the compressor and tyre sealant by unscrewing plastic screw holding it fixed to the wheel well.

I found it best the stick the rectangular blocks at clock face positions; 10, 20, 40 & 50 minute positions but not at 30 as I found this position makes it awkward to slide the tyre into the well. Place blocks in perimeter positions so that the rubber tyre will sit on them.

Make sure you stick the blocks all on the same level as the wheel well has a 'corrugated' face

Sit the space saver tyre on the blocks and secure in position by inserting the plastic screw through the wheel and !Removed! into the well housing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, not got car yet but getting Auris hybrid touring sport estate, Can I assume a spare wheel fit properly secured in the boot?

Hello Andrew - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Not sure what you're asking - are you asking whether the Auris will come with a spacesaver already fitted, or are you asking whether a spacesaver will fit?

I wanted the spare wheel kit for my hatchback Auris hybrid when they first got announced, but I was told by a member of the parts department at the dealer that it wouldn't fit in the hybrid properly and would affect the lower boot shelf. It's a shame really that Toyota would accept such a design flaw into production.

I was told that it doesnt come with space saver so have ordered one, apparently it fits but a full size wheel would make the floor bulge. Hoping it arrives friday and fitted into position properly!

If not it may be out with the polystyrene and sheet of leather and a bolt!

All cars should have a spare wheel.

For those who are thinking of ordering a new Auris or Auris Touring Sport, in the November 2014 Price List Toyota now list spacesaver spare wheel kits for the Auris hatchback at £100 and for the Auris Touring Sport at £125.

We seem to have come full circle, charging extra for a spare wheel, perhaps a heater will be extra soon!

I've also just noticed that the tyre inflation kit fitted in my car has a 'use by date' this spare wheel fiasco is starting to get silly!

• Like 1

When the Mini came out in 1959, customers were charged extra for the heater to get the price below £500 - but you couldn't buy a Mini without a heater.

At least Toyota are fairly new in having the spare as an extra - Skoda began not supplying spare wheels as standard from 2009.

As regards the tyre inflation kit, quite a few owners are buying the following instead of the Toyota product as it is a lot cheaper - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-1800330-Repair-Automobile-Dispensor/dp/B003QHY000/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1420657002&sr=8-8&keywords=car+tyre+puncture+kit

• Like 1

While I can't recommend the slime stuff for a car (as I've never used it on a car) it is amazing on my mountain bike tyres so I can't see it being anything less on a car.

Once came back off a ride with my rear tyre resembling a hedgehog, didn't even notice until I came to clean the bike.

I`ve used the gunge on my volvo but not the slime! Works great on small punctures but had to jack car up to spin the wheel while filling, then used my 3L dive cylinder to pump the tyre up the rest of the way!

car arrived and space saver, its got 2 sticky pads and a round polystyrene thing, not sure where the sticky things go but I am assuming the round poly thing sits on the screw that holds wheel in place to support the floor?

Sticky pads x 3 stuck on floor and put wheel in then screwed wheel holder in but wheel still not tight but didnt rattle.

Round poly thing not high enogh to support lower floor so don`t know really!

Not sure how the cargo net is used either!!??

Hi Andrew as I described in my last post I received 4No small rectangular shaped blocks and a black bag to hold the jack. Maybe you are a block missing ?

Cargo net might be to hold jack. I would refer back to you dealer and inform him of the items I received when I bought a space saver tyre from my Toyota dealer and ask why there is a difference

ok I think cargo net attaches to roof and forward roof if seats down, I think the round poly thing would fit if I had a full size spare and not a stupid space saver. Thee certainly is room for one, wish I had know that! Double floor is a waste of space really.

Don`t know if can put pics on here?

• 1 year later...

Current price seems to be around £140 from dealers off internet / eBay.  Anyone know of other suppliers who stock them, eg removed from hire cars etc ?

Paid for the spacesaver on my Yaris last year from Toyota North Bristol. Good value at £104. Complete kit. Now have a nice little compressor too.

On 05/01/2015 at 11:05 PM, Aceshigh84 said:

I wanted the spare wheel kit for my hatchback Auris hybrid when they first got announced, but I was told by a member of the parts department at the dealer that it wouldn't fit in the hybrid properly and would affect the lower boot shelf. It's a shame really that Toyota would accept such a design flaw into production.

Does anyone else have experience / information on this? I was thinking of ordering the space saver kit for my TS hybrid, but I don't want to do so if it will encroach on boot space. Not that I often lower the boot shelf but I don't want problems with it as and when I need to. I asked my supplying dealer about it and he just seemed bemused and said he wasn't aware of a problem. I'm guessing the parts guy is right though, so looks like I might be stuck with the can of goo. Anyone know how much they cost to replace, btw?

Think the OE cans of gunge are quite expensive, which is why some owners have replaced theirs with either the Slime kits as mentioned in my post of 7th Jan, or just the cans of Slime - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Slime+foir+cars

Also be aware that the OE cans have an expiry date.

I guess a simple solution to does it fit is measure your boot space and measure your wheel on the car.

If a real one doesn`t fit then use spacesaver. 

2 hours ago, Auris 1.6 vvt-i said:

Not a very good idea if you have TPMS ;)

Then again if the tyre repair kit comes as standard rather than a space saver spare ......