Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Traction Control, Abs & Handbrake Lamp Fix!

Stompbox

I've posted this as a new topic as I put a query on for just handbrake & ABS lamps, but I saw the TRC light was on as well on my 56 registered Avensis 2.2 T180 D4D.

Now fixed - I found that it was a 7.5 amp fuse in the long fusebox at the nearside of the bonnet.

See pictures below - I've highlighted the fuse concerned.

I'm well chuffed - I got an assorted pack of the fuses for £1.59 - a very reasonable price for the repair!

I hope that this may help.

post-133235-0-58935700-1419632990_thumb.

post-133235-0-14448000-1419633074_thumb.

• Like 1

Nice job. What made you think to check the fuses? How did you know one had blown?

Neil.

Hi there - Well, it seemed to me that maybe one lamp coming on would be a true fault, but three at once seemed very odd.

I thought that they all related to brake conditions, and there was common module/power feed or something along those lines.

Also it came on very suddenly, so maybe a power loss? So I started on pulling each fuse out and used a meter as well as looking at them - fortunately I started with the fuse box in the bonnet and not the one inside the car.

I am so pleased with the result, and maybe by posting on here it will help other members.

Hope you had a good Christmas - it's a very frosty morning here in Rochdale today - minus 1 outside....maybe the traction control will come in handy!

Cheers,

Stompbox.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that - and a happy new year to you! Snippets of info like that can come in handy sometimes.

Traction control - I've never found ot what it is supposed to do. I'm confused by the fact that Toyota tell you to turn it off if you are trying to get out of mud, ice, etc. in order to let you "feather" the clutch. Have you found it any use?

Yes, it does work - I don't know about turning it off when it's icy - I found that if you are on an icy/snowy road & turn it off, you certainly slide about much more!

Thank you for sharing Geoff, It should help other members in the future

As I understand it the reason you can turn it off in the snow is to alllow the wheels to spin enough to cut through the soft snow to find grip underneath - the same reason rally cars run surprisingly skinny tyres in snow.

A few years back when we had that sudden dump of snow that closed the motorways the only way to keep my Avenisis moving was traction control off, keep spinning the wheels and turn the steering lock to lock to cut a path through the soft snow. Traction control was stopping that from happening before I swithced it off.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links