Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gear Knob Peeling Drama

Paul Gailey

OK, less a drama than annoyance.... the metal foil covering the hard plastic of the gear knob is steadily peeling away.

Finding these spares is near impossible and the replacement new ones seems a little pricey. Anyone made a good DIY fix on these with good tips to share. Like how to safely remove all of the foil even in the grooves or a supplier who can metal recoat to a high quality finish?

I don't have that version but is it a case of flaking chrome paint from a plastic substrate? I would suggest looking at the range of spray paint manufactured by Rustoleum. I've used their stuff (mainly on vinyl) over the years and have achieved a near factory finish.

OK, less a drama than annoyance.... the metal foil covering the hard plastic of the gear knob is steadily peeling away.

Finding these spares is near impossible and the replacement new ones seems a little pricey. Anyone made a good DIY fix on these with good tips to share. Like how to safely remove all of the foil even in the grooves or a supplier who can metal recoat to a high quality finish?

PM your chassis number and post a picture of the knob, Toyota have made repair parts available for some models with your picture/chassis I can check if it applies to your car.

My gear knob and gaiter were in bad nick too.

I bought them both on eBay. Think I paid 20 pounds for both. Glad I did because it really makes the interior look so much better.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links