Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1999 Mk1 Yaris Boot Won't Open

GDB87

Hi all

Hoping someone might have faced a similar issue and can help.

I have a Mk1 Yaris, 998cc, 5 door. A few days ago my other half tried opening the boot just as I was unlocking the car. Now the push button to open the boot won't work. It pushes in and out just fine but I can't turn the key in it to unlock it. Any ideas how I can fix this or does it need to go to the garage?

Many thanks and Happy New Year!

Just to clarify, the key will turn in the lock and the little button will push in and pop out, this just has no effect on the boot. I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

open key hole bit. Get WD-40 OR GT-86 and spray tonnes of it inside. Then insert key and keep wiggling it, leave it overnight and see tomorrow if fixed. My old car which was standing for 5 years had same problem. boot never opened and was sold like that but when the guy came to buy it, boot opened first time because i sprayed the stuff in the night before but dident now it was working lol :P

Can you lock/unlock it with the remote central locking?

I must admit I've *never* unlocked my boot with the key so I don't even know how stiff it's supposed to be! :unsure:

That said, when it's locked the button will go in smoothly with very little resistance, but when it's unlocked there is an extra 'step' where it hits the release mechanism half-way along.

If you can unlock/lock it with the remote a few times, that may fix it, but at the very least, unlocking and opening it will allow you to access the linkages for the manual locks...

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. We don't have the key remote sadly. It normally locks and unlocks with the central locking though when you use the key in one of the front doors. The button is not stiff or stuck and the key turns just fine. What is missing is the extra 'step' where it hits the release mechanism half-way along as Cyker described. It is as if the button is working fine but is no longer connecting to whatever lever opens the catch. I imaging the extra step you feel is when something engages the catch, this is where I think the problem must be.

Any ideas...

I've had similar problems with other cars/doors getting 'un-synched'. One thing you could try is getting someone to hold the boot button in while you lock the car - might allow whatever has dropped out to drop back in.

Failing that do the same with all permutations a few times - button in, out, halfway, while you lock and unlock. Nothing to lose :)

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. Just to say I managed to sort it out. In case anyone on here has a similar issue in the future, the inside of the boot door has a section of fabric (it's actually thin flexible plastic with a fabric covering) in the middle of it. This is secured to the plastic of the inside of the rear door with about 8 plastic studs. These were a pain to get out but I found the claw end of a small hammer did the trick without breaking any, though they are a little distorted now. Not the best design feature of the Yaris.

Anyway, once this bit of fabric is off you can get access to the locking mechanism. Essentially this is a 4 part lever, one bit being linked to the central locking. My girlfriend must have pushed the boot button just as I turned the key in the drivers door as this part of the lever system had become unhooked, so when pushing the button in nothing was happening. Anyway,very easy to reconnect yourself and avoid a garage bill :yahoo:

Cheers!

• Like 2

Nice one! Thanks for posting back to let us know, and kudos for managing to fix it yourself too! :thumbsup: