Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Led Headlamp Beam Deflectors

MEP's Yaris GS

24 minutes ago, RWaggers said:

They told me that all European Prius' have the same beam pattern so they are suitable for LHD and RHD cars.  As far as I understand it, the flat beam pattern is just that.  The dipped beam doesn't have a higher light pattern on the near side.

So that means the information in the vehicle listing on the travelspot website is incorrect. We don't need to buy any headlamp beam adaptors!

I just concluded that since the Prius with LED lights have 4 bulbs, they mention to use one sticker on the Outer Bulb, and one sticker on the Inner Bulb. 

vpfiwezypr0c5.jpg

And the European Prii would comply to 5.8.1 -c which means that the headlight beams would be symmetrical ( e.g. 'flat') according to 5.8.2.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:42014X0822(02)#ntr7-L_2014250EN.01006701-E0007

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RWaggers said:

I called the Toyota helpline asking about headlights for a Mk 4 Prius.  This is their e-mailed reply:

Thank you for your call regarding your Toyota Prius.

I can confirm that in the past few years Toyota have moved to fitting Projector Headlamps (halogen, HID and LED) and these light projectors have a flat beam pattern so that they can be used in Europe without the need for beam converter stickers.

To be 100% certain that your project headlamps will not need beam deflector stickers when travelling in Europe you could ask your Centre to check the headlight beam pattern with a beam tester (as carried out in the MOT test), or you may be able to check the pattern if the headlights are on at night, when parked in front of a flat wall/garage door etc.

I checked my light pattern against my garage door and they did, indeed, have a flat pattern.

What year and model is your Prius?

I can confirm their statement is incorrect, as my 2013 PiP with LED headlamps definitely has a kick up to the NS. Having looked into this subject a while after my original posting, it seems you put the beam deflector over just one light unit each side, however I can't remember which one it is off of the top of my head.

I'd be concerned if new cars have got a flat beam pattern, as this will be resulting is a significant amount of light being lost from the road!

Mine is 9-2010, Prius III Dynamic so one of the first with LED. 

Actually it is the same LED system as on the RX450H

http://www.ledinside.com/news/2009/5/Japanese_Company_Exhibited_LED_Headlight_of_New_PriusKoito_20090525

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/92195-headlamp-adjustment-for-france/

16 September 2013

Thank you for your further email.

I can confirm that the HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlamps on the RX 350 do not need to be converted for travel on the continent. 

The set up of the headlamp is such that the light shines in a horizontal flat beam which has no kick up and as such is not dazzling to drivers of oncoming cars.

As you have suggested, we would recommend that the Intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting

System (I-AFS) is switched off when travelling on the continent.

Yours sincerely

Claire Newman

Customer Relations Executive

31 minutes ago, MEP's Yaris GS said:

What year and model is your Prius?

I can confirm their statement is incorrect, as my 2013 PiP with LED headlamps definitely has a kick up to the NS. Having looked into this subject a while after my original posting, it seems you put the beam deflector over just one light unit each side, however I can't remember which one it is off of the top of my head.

I'd be concerned if new cars have got a flat beam pattern, as this will be resulting is a significant amount of light being lost from the road!

I have a Mk 4 (Nov 2016) Business Edition Plus.

• 5 months later...

I'm due to drive to southern France in March, and am now thoroughly confused after reading this thread! 

I have a gen3 with LED's, which do definitely kick up on the NS.

Has anyone successfully fitted the euro lites to these units? Or are people with these LED units just not using any deflectors? 

Do they kick up properly, or is there a clear cut off? If the latter then this is treated as flat beam and no deflectors are required.

My toyota dealer fitted the headlamp beam deflectors using a lighting system. But they also told me it was not really necessary since it was a flat beam like described by 16_Auris_HSD

They definitely kick up, both OS and NS seem to kick up the same amount, so maybe this is the flat beam thing they are talking about, meaning deflectors aren't required?

I guess I'll have to ask the dealer........

Question is: are the beams designed and approved for both traffic systems or for left/right hand traffic only? 

If not approved, you could get fined if you did not take appropriate measures (apply beam deflector).

One could check the approval marks in your Prius manual / on the headlight itself and compare with regulatory information (EU law). 

Approval mark, EU law: See the Annex and go to EXAMPLES OF ARRANGEMENT OF APPROVAL MARKS (scroll down) in the eu law which describes acceptance of beam deflections for each vehicle on European roads - both left hand drive and right hand drive. Link: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:42014X0822(02)#ntr7-L_2014250EN.01006701-E0007&utm_source=ToyotaOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks

The approval mark will tell you if for example the passing-beam is designed for right-hand, left-hand traffic only.

So even if the beam is sharply capped it should be adjusted to right-hand drive if you are from UK.

From the Toyota blog........

RIAZ

Please can any one tell me do i need deflectors for my Prius 2012 as Im going to drive to Europe it’s got 2 set off projectors lights if yes then can you tell me how to put them on ..

1. 52c086fb0e75d5493ac34c4bfd655cc2?s=74&d=CHARLOTTE MILLS

Hi Riaz,
    Thank you for your post. We can confirm that you do not need deflectors for your 2012 Prius. Many thanks.

and

a0f54b512c0a9b8cd0042e613d38810d?s=74&d=KHURRAM

hi All, do I need beam deflectors for my prius 2017to drive in Europe.
it’s standard UK model but I’m driving in EU for 2 weeks.
br
Khurram

1. 1a82079a78dda38f406f4c7aa304255d?s=74&d=TOYOTA UK

Hi Khurram,
    Thank you for your comment. You’ll require beam deflectors for driving in other European countries, to ensure your headlights don’t dazzle other road users. We’d advise getting them from your local dealer. Hope this helps.

So the 2012 is ok, but the 2017 isn't?

Yeah, my leds kick up nowhere near as much as the regular one in your picture , spoke to my local dealer who also confirm they are not needed. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links