Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina 1.6 4Af Parts?

Jack Taylor

Hey all,

After having my moms car off the road for so long we have decided to do it up. Its been in the family since new which was 1990 I believe. It has done 220k miles and is now going to hopefully get restored. We just can't part with it haha.

Now here are a couple of questions that if you guys know anything that could help with I would be very grateful.

Firstly, Where do you lot get parts for these cars? They seem rare to get hold of now.

Second, What parts do these cars share with other Toyota's? I know the engines are shared with other cars so exhaust parts, manifold, general engine parts can come from other cars if I need to?

Any help and advice would be really appreciated :)

Thanks, jack

• 1 month later...

Hi jack

If you live in the UK, I guess the vehicle registration number is enough to identify the exact engine and variant. If not, you need to get hold of the vehicle identification number from the chassis and use that to narrow it down.

I have been buying spares for our Toyota Carina 1.6 GLi, 4A-FE engine from the following websites:

www.micksgarage.com

www.rexbo.eu

www.buycarparts.eu

Like yours, ours is a very special car and I'm spending quite a bit to get it running smoothly again.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

Hi there jack,

I also have a Carina II with the amazing 4-af engine, with 230,000 miles and still running perfectly. It's a 91 estate that we've owned for 10 years, and I can't imagine having anything else! I find all the common service bits, such as filters and brakes at the local factors, but things are getting noticeably thinner on the ground.

Everything seems to be available at the Toyota dealer, though can be expensive. I do tend to buy rubber items such as suspension bushes with them, and 2 years ago invested in a full genuine exhaust, which though far pricier than spurious ones, fits perfectly and is high quality system made partly of stainless steel. I think the more expensive genuine parts are cheaper longterm as they will last so long.

I've found things like second hand door mirrors and electric window switches on eBay quite easily in the recent past.

What I really need is a good donor car, but scrapped Carina II's are now very unusual! To be honest, I don't find it needs a lot of new parts, such is the quality of the materials in these. It's mainly a case of lubrication, lots of use, and keeping the rust out... I also have only used 97 octane petrol since around 180,000, and flush the engine oil every other oil change, and I'm sure this is keeping the engine well. Good luck with your project, these are a really great cars.

Rob

• Like 1

Hi, You mention that even for an older car such as yours you can still get original spares from a Toyota dealer. so do you think it would be reasonable to assume plenty of spares for the Carina E should also be available as I've never tested this out?? So in other words if I could not get what I wanted locally which Toyota spares place did you go too?

• 9 months later...

Well this never got off the ground. Its still sat on the drive with the wheel arches all in poor condition :( It was covered in moss and crap until today when we jetwashed it off. It has been looked at and someone has said they will be able to sort out the rust by grinding it out and making up new sections ready to paint.

I am going to have to start pushing this project I think and really get some work put into it over the spring and summer!

Thanks guys :D

• 1 month later...

Go for it. I've had my Carina 2 for 14 wonderful years and boy have I spent some money on paint jobs on the arches a few times to keep it looking well. I don't regret spending the money as it saves in the long run on reliability. It still runs beautifully even at 24 years old.  I've had countless offers for her over the years and lots of compliments too. Go on make the effort and get it back on the road again.

Mod edit - shouting removed

• Like 1