Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Starting

Milky Bar Kid 1001

Thomas diesels got back to me with the Denso part number 294200-0300 and priced at £85 + VAT, I did a google search and found the same item for £78 including VAT and free P&P so well happy now. This is for a 2005 2.2 D4D.

Thanks for the lead Milky bar kid, the milky bars are on me !

Nick.

No worries Muddyman glad to spread the findings!! :-) Glad you got it sorted out ok.

Just to let you all know that Diesel injectors let me down and said the Denso price was £140 so I ordered it from Brooker Zhao via Aliexpress for £79 inc vat and postage, arrived today after less than a week from Asia.

Second time attempt then, lesst u got it sorted, now the fitting part to do! Lol :-)

• Like 1

OK so swapped SCV, nice simple off and on job. Got up this morning and it's a no go, no change what so ever, so I'll do a search and maybe start a new topic called cold start problem.

Nick.

Update, after reading other posts I cleaned out the egr valve and was shocked at how much soot came out, put it all back together and it fired first time. I won't feel comfortable until l try it again in the morning, but fingers crossed anyway.

Nick

Update, after reading other posts I cleaned out the egr valve and was shocked at how much soot came out, put it all back together and it fired first time. I won't feel comfortable until l try it again in the morning, but fingers crossed anyway.

Nick

Have you had your engine ECU software updated ? As a new valve is only as good as the old one without the software update to allow higher cranking fuel pressures

I fitted my valve & it started first flick of the key every time (after I had fitted the restrictor cap) haven't updated any software. I cleaned out my EGR valve as well (making sure it didn't get any of the soot down the valves). Gonna get it re mapped but for different reasons.

Would the occasional use of RedX diesel additive be advisable or advantgeous to mitigate long term problems??

Will just disconnecting the Battery for a short while do the job of resetting the ECU back to factory settings ?

When I went to see what Toyota would charge for the part also asked if it needed to be reset. They said to disconnect the Battery the Battery for 7 - 10 minutes but I didn't and it worked fine.

Will just disconnecting the battery for a short while do the job of resetting the ECU back to factory settings ?

Resetting the ECU will do nothing to correctly fix the poor cold starting long term, you need to replace the SCV with a modified SCV and have the cars ECU updated with new software that allows the modified SCV to operate with double the fuel pressure of a unmodified SCV with old software:

unmodified SCV & old software = old standard

unmodified SCV & new software = old standard

Modofied SCV & old software = old standard

Modified SCV & new software = New higher cranking fuel pressure and no cold start issues in the long term

• Like 1

That answers that then, no need to reset anything as l bought an unmodified scv.

Thanks.

UPDATE :- the car is running like a dream (fingers crossed) I cleaned out the EGR valve but took it apart again as l could smell diesel in the cabin, I gave the re-usable gaskets a thorough clean back to bare metal then took the solenoid off the EGR to be able to push the valve in/out to further clean it, I also used the wire off an old coat hanger to get inside the port holes and pull more soot out then blew it out with my air compressor, I gave it all a good clean with brake cleaner. After this re-cleaned the MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner until the wires looked shiny.

Torque settings for the EGR I used was 18lbf taken from another thread in the Auris section.

When I tried to start it, it took four attempts and a big cloud of grey smoke which I assume was the brake cleaner being burnt off.

Took it for a run and an Italian tune up, now sounds great, pulls well and zero smoke even when I nail it.

Between this clean and the initial one the other week I've seen an increase in MPG from low 40s to high 40s and it starts first time every time even at -deg temps.

I have ordered a tub of bg244 to clean the whole internals with, and from now on I shall not be using cheap supermarket fuel on every fill up and instead treat it to some Shell.

All in all, well worth doing and very simple, around 1 hour in total but most of this was cleaning the gaskets.

Nick.

• Like 1

Where's the MAF sensor, may give it a clean as well... why not!! Lol I put in a bottle of Forte Diesel fuel system cleaner, we use it at work on customers cars. Seems to make a difference better than other alternatives like STP but sure end of the day any internal cleaning would help as well.

The MAF sensor is on the top of the air cleaner box, remove the electrical connection and undo the two small screws then remove, you will see on the side of the unit protected by a shroud are two wires with a tear drop shape on the end, more than likely the side furthest away from the intake will be nice and clean, unlike the side which gets all the crud stuck to it. Use electrical contact cleaner and don't be tempted to touch it, also give it a good squirt down the tubes too, it make take half a can or so but once it's all nice and shiny give it time to dry off the reconnect and bobs your uncle.

Nick.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links