Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12V Battery ?

westferrychip

Hi everyone
My prius sits outside my house for a couple of weeks at a time, I dont use it much due to health problems. Due to its lack of use the 12v Battery goes flat and the car wont start. I have called AA

twice now, who use a Battery booster connected under the bonnet. I have now purchased one of these myself and it works fine. I saw on the internet a 12v pre charged Battery that plugs direct into the cars cigar lighter, this would be much easier to use. My question is, does this work on a prius ?, has anyone used one of these devices. I would have thought that the cigar lighter circuit would not be active until the car is started, so how does it get power to the battery. Hope I have explained the question OK.

Thanks

Westferrychip (Roy)

Hi Roy, A subject close to my heart. I have not had the problem of a flat 12v Battery but as mine 5 years old - any time now! I would like to know more about the Battery booster you bought as it seems an excellent investment. Make, model, supplier, price all helpful. I was warned be my dealership about not using cheap units or was that just to sell me a new Toyota Battery. VGP63

Hello VGP63

I purchsed my "Silverline 12 ah booster on eBay here is the link to the item:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-900A-HEAVY-DUTY-CAR-JUMP-STARTER-BOOSTER-CABLE-LEAD-BATTERY-BOOSTER-START-/231306202638?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35daec8e0e

It needs about 40 hours on charge initially and then a 10 hour charge about once every two months (they say)

I found out from the AA technician where to attach the booster, if you need this info I would gladly let you know, but I would need to take a photo or two rather than try to explain with text. By the way the booster was around £35

Hope this helps

Westferrychip (Roy)

What about a solar powered trickle charger that sits on the dash?

I use one for my MR2 that sits for months at a time and starts straight away!

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Thanks Vanilla coffee

That's a good idea providing the cigar lighter connection is indeed connected to the 12v Battery supply when the "ignition" is off.

Thanks for your reply

Westfwerrychip (Roy)

I think you will find that both 12v 'cigarette lighter' sockets on the gen3 prius are non- operative when the system is off and are configured as outputs & won't operate as inputs so a solar charger will be of no use. PLEASE someone tell me I am wrong.

If your correct VGP63, and I'm sure you are then, as you say a solar panel plugged into the cig. lighter or indeed the mini booster that plugs into cig. lighter are out of the question. Maybe a cig. lighter type socket wired directly to the 12v Battery would suit ???

Its food for thought.

Thanks Roy

Or wire the solar charger direct to the Battery, most of them come with crocodile clips and a two pin socket on the wire to connect either the clips or the cig lighter plug

They come with croc clips.

You can connect them direct to the Battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Thanks for all the help people.

I think I will hard wire a cigar lighter socket to the 12v batt. and buy a 20 watt solar panel to plug into it.

thanks again

westferrychip (Roy)

When I had the two way radio and taxi computer fitted to my car I recall the engineer saying he had to run a dedicated power cable from the 12v Battery as there wasn't anything suitable that was live when ignition was off.

He ran two cables, one for my sat nav on the dash and the other for the above equipment under the gearshifter.

The cigarette socket is off when the ignition is off.

I'd advise solar maintainers. Use them in my Garage on my collection of spare 12v batterys (don't ask) and they're the best things since the invention of the wheel imo.

Keep an eye on Maplin Electronics, often have them on offer :)

A while back I tried to set up solar run ventilation to cool the car whilst in direct sunshine.

It failed because the Prius has solar filtering in the glass so very little energy reached the solar panel INSIDE the car. Outside was no problem, the fans whirred beautifully when the car was in daylight. Inside, nothing.

If you are going to try tickling up the Battery with a solar charger INSIDE the car, keep your receipts so you may get your money back when you find it does not work.

I use 30A PowerPole connectors for all my 12V low voltage stuff. These have become a de facto standard in the amature radio world. I have set up a bulkhead connector in the boot connected directly to the 12V Battery via fuses to supply my radio kit and it works well for a charger as well. For those of us with PiPs don't forget that the 12V Battery also has a low charge whenever the HV cable is plugged in.

http://www.torberry.co.uk/superbasket/category/31/15%2C+30+%26+45+AMP+POWERPOLES

A while back I tried to set up solar run ventilation to cool the car whilst in direct sunshine.

It failed because the Prius has solar filtering in the glass so very little energy reached the solar panel INSIDE the car. Outside was no problem, the fans whirred beautifully when the car was in daylight. Inside, nothing.

If you are going to try tickling up the battery with a solar charger INSIDE the car, keep your receipts so you may get your money back when you find it does not work.

I use 30A PowerPole connectors for all my 12V low voltage stuff. These have become a de facto standard in the amature radio world. I have set up a bulkhead connector in the boot connected directly to the 12V battery via fuses to supply my radio kit and it works well for a charger as well. For those of us with PiPs don't forget that the 12V battery also has a low charge whenever the HV cable is plugged in.

http://www.torberry.co.uk/superbasket/category/31/15,+30+&+45+AMP+POWERPOLES

Interesting, never had an issue myself in any of our cars, will try it in the PiP on the dash on a sunny day and test the output.

Thanks Ian x 5

You may have just saved me £35 as I am negotiating a price for a solar panel on eBay I just hope the seller doesn't . accept my offer or I'll be stuck with a solar panel I can't use.

Thanks

Roy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links