Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1991 Surf Odd Electrical Condition

LummoxPG

Ok here's an odd condition and hopefully someone will be able to give me a clue as to where to start...my beloved 1991 hilux / surf ssr has picked up a curious electrical gremlin...when I depress the windshield washer fluid button on the column stick...the dash lights go out...and when I release the button...the dash lights come back on. Weird huh...

• 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain, I love my 1kz and ongoing maintenance fills more and more spare time. I would start with the stalk the button is on and ensure that the insulation on the wires is sound. I wouldn't mind betting that some wiring has rubbed on something allowing current to pass through poor insulation when the button is depressed completing a circuit and causing a short. remember the button is on a moving part(wiper stalk) which also means wear and tare. the exposed wire is probably shorting the dash lights when the fluid is despensed. I would go to a parts wrecker and just get a replacement wpier stalk, $25.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links