Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Change A Prius 12V Battery

westferrychip

I think I may need to change my gen 3 T spirit hybrid 12v Battery. Has anyone done this ? What needs resetting when re connecting the new Battery, if anything ?

Also is there an altenative (higher capacity) Battery that someone could suggest.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

westferrychip (Roy)

I read in the BCI (Battery Council International) battery replacement data book that the auxiliary 12V Battery in Gen 3 Prius (1.8L) must be a AGM battery.

Interestingly, the book also states that the Prius+, sold in US as Prius V, Battery doesn't need to be a AGM!

Why Prius but not Prius+, both 1.8L Hybrids, I wonder?

Other than the Yuasa HJ-S46B24R Battery that Toyota fits, I have only found two other makes/models for use in Prius:

1. Optima DS46B24R (8171-767), available for ~£123

2. Exide FP-AGM51JIS, not yet available in the UK I think (couldn't find any online seller).

Thanks Sushd

Thanks for the info. I seem to remember that AGM batteries are quite expensive !! I'll have to see what price toyota want for a replacement.

My main worry is, can you disconnect the 12v bat. without having to reset all sorts of electrical wizardry when its re connected.

Any Toyota dealer will replace the Battery for £95, which is quite economical given that the Yuasa HJ-S46B24R AGM Battery that Toyota fits retails at >£200 and the Optima is £123.

I am also looking to replace the Battery in my Gen 2 Prius so I would also be interested in knowing the answer to your other question. Haven't seen anyone who have replaced the battery themselves post any such issue(s) ... but a confirmation would certainly help.

I have changed the Battery of a Gen2. One of the nuts is awkward to get at and to replace. A spot of Blutac to hold it in the socket sorts that.

It is possible to lose the window closing settings. Easy to reset, run the window down and hold the button down for a couple of heartbeats, run the window up and again hold the button up for a bit, repeat on all windows.

I am told if the Battery is disconnected for a while it is possible to lose the steering settings, turn the steering wheel completely left then completely right to reset.

There are also reports of losing the radio settings. Re-entry is needed.

I back fed the car from a 12V DeWalt drill Battery connected to the jump start terminals under the bonnet before disconnecting the main 12V battery with no problems, I suppose a charger or maintainer would do the same job. You have to be careful of the terminal wires as they stay 'live' of course.

Ian x 5

thanks so much for that info. it's just what I needed to hear. What a good idea to back feed the 12v via the jump start terminals, I have a Battery booster which will do the trick nicely.

Thanks again

Westferrychip (Roy)

I'd think twice if I were you. The Prius is pretty much a computer with a car attached. You can easily fry the electrics if you jump start it incorrectly, so any other messing about with the 12volt could have the same result.

Just get the Toyota dealer change the 12v with a like for like part at £95 fully fitted (last time I looked). You'll then have another 5 years of life out of it.

You MUST use an AGM Battery because it's inside the passenger compartment - they're much safer in an accident and the Toyota one will vent gasses out the vent tube without needing to tinker with it.

If it is that Gen 3 Prius requires a AGM Battery, then the best and most economical option is to have it replaced by Toyota @ £95.00.

Toyota fits the Prius Battery for £95.00, but if you want to purchase it from Toyota and install it on your own then they will charge you £111.6 for the Battery!! :dontgetit::g:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links