Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cost To Replace A Lampda Sensor ?

Zincubus

Right guys that damn orange engine warning light as reappeared on the dash

I've had it into the local garage again tonight and he's done another diagnostics test but didn't charge anything this time ......he's going to ring me tomorrow with an estimate for the repairs .

He reckons it needs a new Lamba sensor ( one of the lower ones as the two top ones have already been replaced ) .

He said that he replaced one of these sensors a few years ago and just the sensor cost about £200 although that was a genuine Toyota part but as mine is 12 years old he thinks he may be able to get a cheaper ( generic / off market ? ) sensor a lot cheaper ..... Still going to be the labour charge and vat on top though .

Anybody any ideas as to what it's likely to cost us for this local garage to replace a Lamba sensor inc labour ??? Just a ball-park figure of course

Go to www.eurocarparts.com and find your nearest dealer. Enter number plate into site and you will find lamda sensor. Unless your having your MOT done very soon, I wouldent bother with replacing Lambda, no harm is done to anything.

It will be getting on for £300 at Mr T. You can get a lambda sensor for less than £100 depending on which one you need. Have a search on here as it has been covered several times before. I believe you need to be carefull about not doing it when the engine is cold as it can cause manifold issues. Google lambda sensor for some prices. I think the bottom ones (bank1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2) are the same whereas the top ones have different cable lengths. This is why we have OBD II code readers , so we know where the issue is and can hopefully save some dosh. Any chance of you posting the fault code? The generic ones don't always have the right connection to plug into the connector and have to be scotchlocked into the loom. Please be aware of this.

Totally agree wait for mot and see if it fails on emmisions, it really doesn't hurt them , mine was on and off for over 2 years.when it did eventually fail , 4 sensors , mot , and a service came to just under 1100 quid with genuine toyota parts. And I wouldn't just do 1 go for at least a pair, cuz you'll only be back soon having the 4th one replaced

tony

Thanks guys .... Cars worry me at the best of time as I know nothing about them , that's why I got a Toyota - to avoid all the hastle !?

Soooooo I'm not sure I could drive with the orange engine light on for much longer , as it is now everytime I glance across and notice it's on - I nearly get hot sweats !!

I've also read that failing to replace them can cause some kind of damage or mask damage being done to the catalytic converter ....

Quote -

" Note: the lower sensors do not affect the way the engine runs they are just there to monitor the function of the catalysts. The upper ones (sensor 1) provide feedback to the computer for mixture adjustment. If you are replacing the #2 sensor(s) frequently, depending on the exact trouble code, you may actually have a failing catalyst. In my cases both sensors were #2s and both failed due to an open heater circuits within the sensors themselves."

That is true but not much of a chance. 2 of my cars have the catalyst efficiency below threshold and need changing yet they both pass emissions. Not sure but it is up to you if you want to change the sensor. If you are going to do it, I recommend euro car parts and purchasing Boch or any cheap brand. They are much cheaper than Toyota.

• Like 1

That is true but not much of a chance. 2 of my cars have the catalyst efficiency below threshold and need changing yet they both pass emissions. Not sure but it is up to you if you want to change the sensor. If you are going to do it, I recommend euro car parts and purchasing Boch or any cheap brand. They are much cheaper than Toyota.

Thank you . I will see how much he quotes and then ask how much to have them BOTH done at the same time and save on labour .

Right he's quoted £168 to supply and fit a genuine Toyota lampda sensor and £316 for two ( £20 saving on labour ).

I've booked it in tomorrow morning to have ONE replaced .

Thanks guys , thank you for all your continued help and reasurrance !!

Last question .

I've seen somewhere that if the lambda sensor is replaced when the engine is cold it can cause manifold issues !??

Anyone heard anything similar ?

I could easily take it for a 15 minute burst on the bipass before I drop it off in the morning at 8.30am but if he starts the job a few hours later the engine will have cooled down again !??

Any thoughts ??

Sorry to be a worrier !!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links