Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Excel - Wind Noise From Drivers Door

IM35461

My Auris Excel 2014 (Non Hybrid) with nearly 3000 miles on the clock has been back three times with a wind noise issue around the drivers (or possibly the rear right door).

My dealer says it has an issue but is awaiting fix instructions from Toyota.

Over 40mph it is like driving a car with the window slightly open and is quite annoying especially after spending so much on a car.

Plus of course having the service technicians once leave a McDonald's take-away meal in the car made me feel no better!

Any thoughts please?

There was talk about this a couple of years ago when the mk2 Auris Hybrid came out. I'm sure there were multiple posts on this forum about it.

If I remember correctly, it has something to do with the shape of the aerial, one dealer swapped it for someone experiencing the problem and it sorted their problem.

I get the aerial noise also but that is more of a whine and comes from further back and can be heard by all passengers and requires a higher speed or a windy conditions.

My noise is just like when you leave the drivers window open a crack.

The dealer did try taping them all up and I have also tried doing the same.

When you open the rear right door, it looks to me as if in the top corner the rubber seal does not touch the door and i have tried some layers of black tape there and I think that helps a bit but does look rather "tacky".

The head of service did think a trip to the body shop may be required but surely in this day and age everything should be precision fitted?

What I have not thought of trying yet is driving with the mirrors retracted. I shall try that this Saturday just in case the noise relates to that.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the aerial noise also but that is more of a whine and comes from further back and can be heard by all passengers and requires a higher speed or a windy conditions.

My noise is just like when you leave the drivers window open a crack.

The dealer did try taping them all up and I have also tried doing the same.

When you open the rear right door, it looks to me as if in the top corner the rubber seal does not touch the door and i have tried some layers of black tape there and I think that helps a bit but does look rather "tacky".

The head of service did think a trip to the body shop may be required but surely in this day and age everything should be precision fitted?

What I have not thought of trying yet is driving with the mirrors retracted. I shall try that this Saturday just in case the noise relates to that.

If you ever get it fixed please do tell us how, I too have a noise from the rear-right door. It's noticeable above 50kph (sorry chaps I'm on the continent now) and it's !Removed! annoying. Unfortunately I only ever remember it when I get above 50kph, and then immediately forget when I get out of the car.

I remembered ONCE to take a look at the door seals, and I thought it might be the area half way up the door where the angle changes. The seal is clipped into the frame above and below that point, but around the bend it just sits there. Have a look yourself and see if you think it looks iffy.

It's little wonder we get wind noise - when you look round the doors they are rubbish. The seals have multiple gaps where they're not even attached to the doors so they fit where they hit. There's misalignments between the window frames and the car body and the alignment of the front doors to the rear typically leaves a lot to be desired.

Another thing I've noticed with mines is that the window seals don't seal. On my old Auris I could clear condensation from the outside of the glass by rolling all the windows down and back up again. Doing this on my new one does nothing, the seals don't even contact the glass. I know it's not a Rolls Royce but Toyota should have paid closer attention to build quality.

If you read What Car review for example they roundly criticise the car for wind noise and for too much noise on coubik surfaces, giving it a 2 out of 5 rating.

Agreed, Tom, I also found it very odd that the old 'wind to wipe' trick doesn't work on this car. I partly convinced myself it was on purpose to .. protect the .. seals .. ? Nope sounds dumb when I try to justify it lol. As for the doors I keep considering running some additional seal tape stuff, the rubber channel for window frames of the sort you might find in B&Q or similar. But I cant choose between 'shoddy look and good seal', or 'nice look and put up with noise'.

Overall I think you're a bit harsh though, the thing's put together fairly well. I am coming from a very spartan micra, mind..

Door seals from B & Q? Oh sure, and why stop there? I could go down to the local motor factors and buy an aero body kit, a set of Ferodo non-scratchy non-grabby brake pads and a decent set of headlamps that might actually give me some light along the grass verge at night since that seems to be beyond Toyota's abilities.

Talking about Nissan I see they led 2014 UK production with over half a million cars built at their Sunderland plant so they must be doing something right.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links