Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Glow Plug Problem

james.s

I have an 05 avensis t25 d4d. The engine management light came on. Got it checked and it came up glow plug/heater circuit a. Was told I need new plugs so put new ones in. The light still comes on with new plugs fitted. The code has been cleared a few times and I have tested the power is going to all the plugs. This light comes on after the car warms up and is always the same code. Anyone any ideas what else could be causing this code

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Thanks for the reply. That will be the next thing to check

There is a technical service bulletin from Toyota affecting Avensis with 1CD 2.0 diesel engine for P0380, the fix is a new set of glow plugs and a software update for the engine ECU to prevent P0380 from remaining/re-occurring, so you may need to contact your local Toyota dealer to get the ECU software updated

I will call in and see the dealer before I buy anything else for it. New plugs have been put in it and I've checked the voltage so I know none are defective

There is a technical service bulletin from Toyota affecting Avensis with 1CD 2.0 diesel engine for P0380, the fix is a new set of glow plugs and a software update for the engine ECU to prevent P0380 from remaining/re-occurring, so you may need to contact your local Toyota dealer to get the ECU software updated

I would follow that advice first. good to know do you know the bulletin number by any chance?

EG-7013

Brilliant this should help people in the future :thumbsup:

Was speaking to the dealership and they said to do the scan it's free but any work would cost £84 an hour. Does this update have to be done at a dealership

Well most probably no. You just have to find a garage that uses the same program and have access to those ECU updates. Or you could do some DIY work with a cable for around €25 and an hour or a day access to the Toyota Software from their own maintenance site.

Went for the cheaper option and bought a second hand glow plug relay and so far so good. Hopefully it won't be a recurring issue and ecu update. Thanks for all the advice and info

• Like 1

Good stuff. where is located on these not had to change one yet?

Just under the fuses at the air box. Easy to change once the air box is removed

• Like 1

Engine light still coming on so looks like an ecu update

Trip to the dealer confirmed that the ecu update was the only fix for the problem. An hours labour and hopefully all sorted now

• 5 years later...

hi can anyone explain to me what an ecu update is I have the glow plug problem warning light engine comes on code reader says p0380 glow plug I checked relay plugs wiring all ok starts first time any weather no issues with power,    ecu update rubbish its not a laptop   does this mean if  I bought a brand new new old stock ecu of the shelf id still have the same issue   surely someone is out their that as affix for this problem or can explain what causes it I check resistance with multi meter as I said everything is ok and car works perfect avensis 1cdftv engine thanks

Have you not read all off the above ,the software update will more than likely fix the parameters the ecu reads as correct and not correct throwing up the error code .by doing a software update they widen those parameters .your correct your car isn't a laptop but will need updating to fix software issues .people on here will explain things for you but are unable to help you understand them 🤔

The usual power relay of incandescence of candles stands in Toyota. His good condition and good condition of candles of incandescence ECU do not determine. Although the precipice of spool of relay maybe will give in an error. But to determine candles only on a current. So that it maybe actual a code requiring updating of the program to ECU.

• 11 months later...

Funny this I have a 2005 avensis most reliable car I have ever had d4d engine management light has been on for 3 yrs when reset stays off for 3 hrs ,glow plugs all reading 12v it's the glow plug relay not plugs .I havn't changed this as starts from cold OK. Hope this helps.

On 18/01/2015 at 6:19 PM, james.s said:

Just under the fuses at the air box. Easy to change once the air box is removed

That's good to know cheers 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links