Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Honda Frv To Auris 1.6 ...advice Please

T444kids

Hello all, I came to the site a few months back asking for some advice about a yaris, anyway after a few test drives, we've decided it's just a bit to small, especially after the frv, anyway, we looked at honda again a civic o9 reg, very nice but just too pricey. So we've set our minds on a auris, were sticking with petrol as the car will only do around 6k per year, really like the look of the 08 09 plate sr model. Any owners of this model out there put me in the right direction, anything to look out for? What's the mpg like? Just done a quick ins search and that model is coming in at £189 for me and my wife, both 42. So that's not bad at all. Sorry to ask so much that's probably been asked before but I need to be 100% before I part with any cash! I'm really nervous about leaving honda too as my last three Hondas have been superb. Many thanks, gaz

As regards mpg look at the Honest John Real mpg pages - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/auris-2007/16-vvt-i

The 1.6 VVTi was produced up to 2009, and was replaced in April 2009 by the 1.6 Valvematic (9% better fuel economy, 8% lower emissions and 6% more power), with a 6-speed rather than 5-speed gearbox.

Thanks. Looking at an 08 -09 sr simply for cost reasons, plus I really think this model looks loads better than the newer model ( just my opinion) love the deep blue colour option too. I imagine the mpg would be around the same as my 1.8 frv. Cheers. Gaz

Hi,

I've owned my 2009 1.6 Valvematic for a few months now, I do mainly shortish journeys, not slow but within speed limits, and the worst fuel consumption I've had so far was 35 mpg with loads of stop start town driving in cold weather, and the best was 41 mpg on a long run on mainly A and B roads. It mainly averages in the high 30s. It's been a culture shock to me as my previous 5 cars were diesels, but I can live with 38 mpg combined in cold weather. Some of my older diesels didn't manage much better than that!

I went for the Valvematic over the earlier VVTI due to slightly better mpg, lower co2 meaning cheaper road tax, and the 6 speed box.

Hi I have an Auris 2011 1.3. Not the same engine which you are looking at but I just want to say on the reliability that this car is absolutely bulletproof, the only nagging things are slight creaks on dashboard from time to time.

Thanks for the replys, as I say I'm going for the 08-09 sr as I have just under 6 grand to spend, and really like that earlier shape, I was getting about 34 mpg from my honda frv, so I imagine it'll be on a par with that? so you think it's a safe move going from honda to toyota then? Many thanks, gaz

Hi, i own a 58 SR 1.6 vvti, nice car, what i have found from owning the car for just over a year is dont expect a rocket, it is the same engine as the other models in the Auris range, the difference between the SR & the other models is the exterior cosmetics, admittedly it is a nice looking car, i get many comments, mine is Dakuma Grey & the SR model is quite rare, it has 17inch alloys & stiffer suspension so you can expect to feel the bumps a bit more than the normal car just like all sportier models, it would've been good with a six speed transmission, so far the car has been uber reliable, mine is booked in for a full service at Toyota next wk so will see if anything needs done, what advice can i give you reference purchasing one, well if its off a dealer make sure it has been serviced properly, not just a Double L service(lights & levels), if your not buying from a Toyota dealer, negotiate a discount & immediately book it into Toyota for a proper service, a full service is set at £225 from Toyota, also this will show up any faults with the car that you can take back to the dealer to rectify, you should have at least a 3 month warranty even on a used car, make sure all the tyres are the same size, ratio etc & preferably all the same make & design as tyres can be quite expensive, check the handbrake on an incline as the rear calipers are prone to need replaced, make sure the handbrake holds properly & i would say finally check the clutch, if it is heavy it will be needing replaced shortly(put it into reverse & make sure no crunching sound in doing so), you also have to fully depress the clutch to start the car, the rest of the car seems to be well put together, reliable & also nice looking haha, hope this helps.

Thanks for that. I'm not bothered about the speed, just swayed by the looks of the sr model. The interior trim looks very nice. Are the seats comfortable? What sort of mpg are you getting? Why does the cluch need to be touched when starting the car? Never heard anything like this before?? Many thanks. Gaz

Needing to press the clutch down when starting is a safety feature to prevent the car lurching forward if left in gear. Quite a few manufacturers now use this setup, eg some recent VW group cars.

One thing to check for is any sign of water in the boot. Some of the early Auris had a fault where water could leak past the boot vent seals or rear light seals and end up in the boot. Mine suffered from this and was easily fixed by me with a tube of silicone sealant, but there is a 'proper' fix available with modified seals from Toyota dealers.

So you turn the key with the clutch held down, or press, release then start up?

ive had my sr since 2010, and its been reliable apart from needing a new rear caliper which was sticking, which toyota replaced free of charge out of warranty (4 years old) which i was very pleased with. im sure they wouldnt have done this if it hadnt had a full toyota history. also the front suspension drop links failed the 5th year mot, apart from that and a few issues with squeaky brakes its been great.still looks like new. alloy wheels take a fair bit of cleaning due to the design though, but again they still look like new

The starter motor will only operate while the clutch pedal is pressed down. So you need to press and hold down the clutch while turning the key.

It's something I've always been in the habit of doing anyway, and it was a few weeks of owning the car before I realised you have to do it or the starter won't work. The first time I noticed it I actually thought it was a fault!

As the sr model sits lower, what's it like with weight in the back? Couple of times a year I'd have 3 teenagers in the back and a few hold alls in the boot, no chance of bottoming out?

One keeps the clutch depressed whilst turning the key

I had an 09 Auris SR and ran it for a few years. As regards the rear suspension bottoming out, they're progressive rated springs so better than the standard suspension in that respect. I found the stiffer suspension tiring after a while, great for road holding and cornering but very crashy over potholes etc. I drove a relative of mine about 50 miles home from hospital and he was very uncomfortable. 3 teenagers in the back should be OK provided there's no monsters among them; the Auris has the widest rear seat in its class and the floor is flat as well.

The OP's have pretty much covered things but I would emphasise the handbrake, it's a poor design for OEM standard. There is a kit available to improve it - at your expense. Get your wife to drive it and park on a steep hill, see if it holds and then see if she can release it. Our son borrowed ours occasionally and if my wife went out to drive it after him she's usually have to come back in and get me to release it. Same thing when she picked it up at the dealers after repair.

I found the SR seats lacked thigh support and were quite uncomfortable after a few hours driving. A lot of the interior trim is hard plastic and easily scratched and I've heard reports about owners being driven crazy with squeaks and rattles from the dash although I can't say mines was bad. I liked the flat bottom steering wheel on the later models, I'm just over 6 feet tall with long legs and found it difficult sometimes to get in and out from behind the wheel.

As Foreverd mentioned, the SR Motorsport alloy wheels are difficult to clean I found a childs toothbrush we best for cleaning between the spokes.

One thing that's always worth looking at (not just on the Auris) is the state of the pinch weld seams at the jacking points. If anyone has used the wrong jack on the car these seams distort quite easily and can need repair.

never had any problem releasing the handbrake, needed it adjusting at service a few times though, just to tighten it up a bit. must admit it is quiet a firm ride as tomdeguerre says and agree with him it grips and corners well

Thanks very much for all this info, my frv had upgraded 17" alloys on with sportier tyres, felt every bump in the road, I suppose I should also look at the tr model, but it just don't do it for me, the way the sr sits with those alloys, spoiler etc, really sets it off. As I said I have looked at honda again but an 09 civic is about 2 grand more than an 09 auris, just too much for us, and I think my 3 girls would probably have a bit more room in the rear of an auris than a civic, plus reading independent reviews it seems just as good a car. Cheers, gaz

Just spent the morning of my day off looking at adverts for auris sr's for sale on autotrader. Definitely a couple of grand cheaper than a same year civic, so.... I'm sticking to my guns and leaving honda after 8 years and switching to a toyota... And sticking to going for a sr model, purely for cosmetic reasons. They do seem quite rare, only about 25 for sale nationwide on autotrader! I wonder how many sr 1.6 owners there are on here. I think I could get a nice 09 plate for around 5.5k. I know I have asked already but could any 1.6 owners give me an idea of their mpg, I know the figures they give on what car etc, are always a touch optimistic. Once again sorry to ask so much, but there's no rush to get one, just want to get it right before emptying our bank account

Thanks. Gaz

I don't bother with mpg as i don't do a lot of miles but im sure others on here have already discussed it, so your going to look at some then, well give it a proper look round & test drive, we have mentioned the common faults, handbrake, clutch etc for you to look out for, remember its a used car so will have wear & tear, ive explained what i do, negotiate a discount, book it into Toyota for a full service which is price fixed £225 & they will highlight any faults needing rectified, they will also sort any outstanding recalls on the car if any outstanding, overall compared to other cars it doesn't have major faults just basic wear & tear faults, only problem i have had in just over a year was sticky rear calipers which has been mentioned on here, no big deal, as for keeping the alloys clean, i would say they are the easiest alloys to clean on any car i have had & ive had many over the years, mine are like new & ive personally never touched them, just a proper hand car wash does it, as i said the mpg thing im sure has been mentioned on here many times, i just dont bother, i put fuel in & drive, i had a Jaguar X-Type Sport before this car & all i can say is the Auris is half the fuel of that ha. Good luck

For 6 grand you can get 2010 new shape model?

Iam trading my 09 plate SR with 28k on the clock in against a Audi A1,had it 4 years and ive had a couple of niggles but toyota sorted them all under warranty,MPG wise ive had between 36 up to mid 40s.

I 100% agree with Blue J above. Engine nowhere near as sweet as my old Honda Integra but this is a nice car and I have been very happy with it.

As with any car though do your homework on it and get as much warrantee as possible. Ideally you would buy it with full Toyota service history from somewhere like RRG where they will give you a one year warantee. I also got one years AA from them and was happy with their trade in value and service.

I worked for a car parts manufacturer in Japan and with some recent, extremely rare exceptions, Toyota's reputation for reliability is well deserved as their standards are the highest among the Japanese manufacturers. Even my beloved Honda. (Wipes nostalgic tear from eye).

Thank you very much for all the responses, it's give me all I need to know when I look at a few. It seems there's not much at all to worry about then? Is the clutch a weak point on the auris? I hope not as I bet this would be a costly job. I always feel the clutch when buying a used car. When I decided to look for somthing different to a honda this time I spent hours and hours looking at reviews, I think I've finally found the right car!! Cheers all . Gaz