Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius Emergency Start?

VGP63

I am considering investing in a Battery booster/emergency start pack for my Prius and saw this on Amazon. This is a much smaller device than the usual starter packs. Would this be suitable for my purpose? All advice welcome and appreciated.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BESTEK%C2%AE-starter-BTCS001-13600mAh-color--BTCS001-Green-Black/dp/B00HTZATQO/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1421086816&sr=1-10&keywords=battery+booster+jump+starter

The Prius doesn't actually use its 12v Battery to crank the engine so you don't need anything massively powerful. It just needs enough voltage on the 12v to a) power up the ECU and b) energize the HV main Battery relay. I suspect you could start it with 8 AA batteries :lol:

The one you linked to should work just fine :)

Thanks Cyker, I was hoping that would be the case. This unit (and there are other small units) is so much easier to keep in the car. You have also confirmed that all the prius needs is power to 'switch on the computer systems. Thanks again

Also the jump start needs enough current to operate the pump to re-pressurise the hydraulic brake circuits - there is a timer that is triggered after the driver's door is opened.

• Like 1

Ah! so that is the werrring I hear when the door is opened. That I presume is also powered by the 12v Battery. Do you think the 'booster' I am considering is up to this task also?

Hi VGP63

I have that booster and its got me started twice now. I have now had my 12v Battery replaced and I hope I won't need the booster for a while, if at all. All I can say is that this particular booster worked for me and I can't think of any reason why not to buy one.

Hope this is helpful

westferrychip (Roy)

Hello Roy, That's sounds good, if you have used that booster and it worked. I was set on getting one of those units about the size of a small suitcase when I saw this. It will fit in the glove locker rather than having to keep it in the boot. If I came back to a completely dead car I guess I could open the door with the key, get the booster from the glove locker, open the bonnet, connect the booster an off I go! Please tell me if I am dreaming.

Hi Roy, Another question. All these 'Little' boosters have very short leads just long enough to reach across the Battery terminals. In a Prius the jump start points

are in the fuse box terminal and the other seems a long way off towards the left side of the engine bay. Are the leads long enough?

I had the same problem, Battery flat and not enough power to open door. Used key to open door, connected booster to terminal under red cover + and the - to the front suspension bolt just above the fuse box. (you need to crouch down a bit to see this bolt, with a nylock nut on it) this is a good earth point. The two points - and + are only about 6 inches apart.

hope this helps.

good luck

Roy

Thank you Roy, That answers my last question on this. I am very grateful to you for your and others help. I have been surprised to see the number of these little gadgets on the market, all I have to do is choose one. Thanks again. George