Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina E 1996-Bonnet Catch/timing Belt/niggling Problems...

The Blue Streak

Hi, just joined today, having found this forum at a point when have been considering replacing my 1996 Carina E 1.8 (just passed 201,000 miles, has been doing 15-20,000 miles a year for the last 8yrs). The engine is fine, but other niggling problems all coming at once are making me question whether it's time to give up.

It's about to go for MOT and service, but also has:

• a leaking fuel filler pipe (air outlet part), to cost £160 plus labour;
  • the bonnet catch has a problem, potentially serious - bonnet often won't close fully, have to pump lever in cabin and oil catch itself to get it to shut, and since last time, a few days ago, the bonnet catch has started to just partially release the bonnet when driving at high speed on motorway. Had this problem before, garage sorted it (through oiling only?) but has started happening again and obviously dangerous - has anyone else had this problem/know how to solve it permanently?
  • the timing belt has not been replaced for 140,000 miles - don't know how it has survived all this time but is it worth replacing it now on top of other expenditure, or are they known to go on for ever?
  • after rain the other week, there was a pool of water in the rear footwell passenger side, no clue as to where it got in! (apparently not the sunroof or from beneath);
  • there is permanently water in passenger side rear light casing;
  • More general probs not specific to Carina are the gearbox is getting stiff - often hard getting in and out of first gear; the passenger side mirror spring went and is held on with duct tape; rust is now developing on doors; rear door catch very stiff (had to replace spring in driver's door catch a few years ago); seatbelt catch problem .....etc etc.
  • Basically, any repairs done now far exceed the monetary value of the car and I'm not sure how long it will last after spending out on the timing belt and fuel filler pipe. But.... the exhaust is fine, brake cables were replaced last year, and I've read that some Carinas will go on to do 400,000 miles!? The car has been soooo reliable, only breaking down once in the 8 years I've had it (poor earth wire connection) and I am loath to send it to the scrapyard!

Anyway, I'm rambling - would appreciate any responses on the bonnet catch and timing belt particularly. Many thanks!

Hi,

I've had a lot of the same issues with my carina over the years.

I wouldn't bother with the timing belt, I believe the 7afe engine is non interference so worst that could happen is if it breaks then all you need is a new belt and there should be no other damage.

Water in the foot well, on mine it was coming in from the door. The outer seal between the window and the door (at the bottom where it slides up and down) was not tight so water was filling up in the bottom of the door and leaking out the bottom of the door and finding its way over the rubber seal where the bottom of the door meets the chassis when closed.

I think this excess water in the bottom of the door contributed to the rust on the door. Maybe same with yours. Quick fix I used was to run a line of silicone sealant along the window at the bottom then once set ran a Stanley knife along the window to separate it's seal with the window and kind of a act like a new seal. Worked for me anyway!

I also had corner light full of water and drilled a tiny hole in the bottom of the light casing (and one in top corner) to drain it out, been fine ever since

Can you not mend the leaky filler tube in some way?

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Thanks MJJ, that's really useful to know about the timing belt; I didn't really want to replace it at this point if I didn't have to, so it's good to know it's unlikely to cause other damage if it goes.

Also, very interested to hear about the door/window causing the pool of water; that's certainly plausible in my case as I really couldn't see anywhere obvious it could be coming from and it hasn't done it again since, despite plenty of rain having come down, which would fit with it building up over a period. Will check that out and try your suggestion on it. :)

Light casing too - good idea!

Re the filler tube, local garage had it up on the ramp and decided it seemed to be leaking from the rubber hose section, but said if they tried to replace that alone, in order to get to it, the whole assembly might need to come off, and given the corrosion on it, it was likely to break in the process. So I called Toyota dealer to check on availability of parts (all available) and they said leaks are almost always from the metal part of the assembly, not the hose - so, at this point, I don't know where the leak is actually coming from and the process of locating it is likely to mean the assembly needs replacing anyway....will see what happens though....

MOT tomorrow - fingers crossed nothing major on that. Last 2 years it has got through with no issues - not bad eh? - but this may be the time.....

Thanks again!

Yeah it passed its MOT ok - nowt wrong! The mechanic (different garage to usual) said the car was in good form, but that I am on borrowed time and incredibly lucky re the timing belt...hmmm. Otherwise I should just keep it running until something major and expensive goes. He may also be able to source a scrap replacement filler pipe, but will diagnose first. Also thinks he may have fixed the bonnet catch - we live in hope...

Have removed gunge from window seals. The drainage holes did not seem blocked. Next step silicone sealing I guess....

Looks like I'm keeping the car for the foreseeable after all, anyway....

• 5 weeks later...

Glad you decided to keep it there a great car, I bought mine to move house from England back to Ireland just as a big cheap car didnt even know what model it was at the time best £900 I ever spent never failed to start once in 8years rain hail or snow. I said at the time If I get 2 years out it without any major problems Id be happy, Its now in its 8 year with me putting up over 115K miles in that time, naturaly like any car of that age its not without its problems but again maybe a part / year or 2 ,(New rad, Windows regulators front, Water pump and Tbelt) ive not even spent the price of the car in maintenance in 8 years cant really complain about that! The best way to keep the costs down with any old car is do most of the minor maintenance and drive it regulary there like old people they seize up if not mobile !

239K and still going

Wow - 239k? That's good going, wonder if mine will make it that far....Glad to hear yours has served you so well :blow:

Hi mate, first / / your timing belt? I suggest you don't tempt providence any longer as they are not costly or that complicated to fit and so a garage or friendly mechanic should not charge you a lot My timing belt book says they are a interference type engine and therefore at danger of damaging the engine if the belt breaks.

If your still having trouble with the bonnet catch are you sure the cable going to it has become semi seized or needs some lubrication, why not disconnect it and have a look?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, timing belt just replaced - apparently it was in good shape, no tears or anything - not bad after 140,000k on it?! The other belts were in worse shape and needed replacing (alternator belt and power-steering belt), so that's all done. Just had the fuel filler assembly replaced as well, picking it up today so hope that's worked to address the fuel leak (was getting a bit tired of having to keep fuel level low and always park it with back end up on the drive and any other slopes)!

That's a fair amount invested in the car this last week so hope it's worth it! The bonnet catch seems ok at the moment - another mechanic (without being prompted) worked at it and it seems to have done the trick.... for the moment at least.

I just don't see these cars around much any more. A few years ago they were every other car on the road here in Birmingham because every taxi driver had one. Then in came the EU law about taxis having to be no more than 9 years old (or so I was told) and they practically all disappeared overnight (to be replaced by the Avensis) - must all have been scrapped, otherwise where did they go? Now, it's a rare sight!

Thanks all for the advice on the belt and other problems.

Hi Blue Streak and welcome,

Good news on the MOT.

I used to have a Carina e hatch (hence my daft username). My rear light cluster filled with water too. The top seal was the culprit. It did cause me a problem when I needed to change an indicator bulb as the bulb holder was metal and had corroded which meant I couldn't get the bulb out. I had to get a stretch of wiring with a bulbholer from a breaker. I checked I could get the other bulbs out and smeared a small amount of petroleum jelly round the remaining metal bulbholders to keep the rust away. Three days giving hand signals whilst I waited for the new wiring to come was a pain. Might be worth taking a look. The bulbholders in the other custer were plastic so would be ok if they got damp. Of course that side didn't leak.

Fuel filler neck could be a DIY job as a genuine part or one from a breaker should fit 100% and marry up with fittings.

Did like my Carina e a lot and only changed for a MK1 Avensis estate because I needed an estate car.

If you have to spend a few quid on it so be it, a newer car would depreciate and who is to say that it would be faultless.

Happy motoring

Matt

Good to hear there's a few of us still keeping the carina on the road !

I was desperate for any car back in 2004 and got a N reg 1.8 saloon for £1000 and apart from some of the usual gremlins over the years (leaky radiator, faulty injector, O2 sensor, steering rack and door spring) it's been a cracking car. (All bar the steering rack I fixed myself quite cheaply)

It's been getting a bit rusty though recently and all the electric windows (except the drivers) have gradually ceased up over the years, so I was thinking about looking for a new car this spring (possibly a Mondeo hatch ) before the carina's MOT was due.

Anyway I wasn't looking for a another carina but spotted a N reg 1.8 hatchback on eBay back in January and couldn't resist- it's only done 65k miles and been kept in a garage for the last 15 years, despite a dent in the passenger door it is in fantastic condition inside and out. Needed a O2 sensor but I'm thinking I've already got a working one on my current car, snapped it up for £400 and kept it on my drive until 2 weeks ago when I retired the old one, nicked her 02 sensor and started using the new one, took it for an MOT yesterday ... Sailed through :)

Now I'm just about done ripping anything and everything I can from the old one for spares for the new one!!

Gonna try swap the manual wing mirrors for electric ones off my old one and put the front fog lights off my old one on the new one too..

Hopefully I'll get at least 10 years out of this new one :)

Harry Carri: the fuel filler assembly is now replaced and leak solved, thankfully. I hear what you say re the light cluster and the rusting, though- I really do need to address that next!

MJJ: glad your 'new' Carina passed its MOT and hope it serves you well for the next 10 years...or 15? or 20?!

• 2 weeks later...

Out of interest blue streak, how much did the timing belt (and aux belts) change cost you?

Hi MJJ: my bill (from a local garage) says: 'supply and fit cam belt kit, fan belts and fan belt (power steering)', and that all came to £160 plus VAT.

great to see the effort being put in keep this E on the road - i have mine back on the road now after shifting on my mk2 avensis (too many problems creeping into her) - might drive it for a few months, maybe a year who knows, at least its moving again after 9 years of sitting up at home.

i was also wondering about my timing belt, there is 192k miles on the car and i don't know when it was last changed - i think its a non-interferance (1.6 4afe) engine so am willing to take the chance on her - especially now knowing that @blue streak's one managed 140k - fingers crossed. its a job i would love to do myself but think it might be a step too far for my technical ability :-)

I have picked up a new water pump cheap and will keep eye out for timing belt kit (scanning eBay for the bits is great for these cars - no real demand for them anymore) -so at least will save on parts.

• 4 weeks later...

The 4afe and 7afe engines seem to have a good life. The cam belts do not seem stressed compared to other engines, and they are non-interference.

I have seen a few Carina's on the road, plus a few of the early phase 1, mk1 Avensis.

The only thing is keep an old car on the road, is the value of the car versus the cost of maintenance/repair. The authorities are making it harder to keep old cars with soon to come pollution regulations, like the London Emission Zone.

Also I have seen worse new cars that will not see their 10th birthdays, let alone 15 or 20 years!