Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Auris Hybrid A Good Motorway Option

Funkyboy

If they are wider then yes, I can see that but my point is that they don't have to be. With the right tyre/rim choice, they can be exactly the same... (which should result in exactly the same drag coefficient as long as the offsets are the same also...)

I suppose my overall point is why would Toyota, on a car where drag coefficient is critical, mess it all up when it comes to choosing wheel/tyre combinations that would result in a worse drag coefficient? Doesn't make sense to me... :g:

Because that only affects real world experiences as apposed to the nonsense, done on a rolling road EU fuel testing.

I think that's the conclusion I was beginning to arrive at! ;)

One thing I did when I purchased my alternate alloys for my winter tyres was to spend a long time making sure I got all the dimensions as close to the original 16" alloys as I could but for a 15" set (cheaper). Here's the result...

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=195&aspect=50&diameter=16&wheelwidth=6.0&offset=48&width2=185&aspect2=60&diameter2=15&wheelwidth2=6.0&offset2=48#content

...close enough as makes no odds and the mpg figures have been identical for both...

Just been looking at your mpg stats for your Yaris HSD. I'm alarmed. Over 34k miles/12 months of hard town taxi use I averaged about 49 mpg UK, and often that was with average speeds of 12 mph. It also included the foot to the floor Friday and Saturday evening madness.

How you're managing 41 mpg out of a tank is a real shock. I wonder if the Yaris had been 'tuned' for great official mpg's, whereas real world are somewhat lower. Many owners of the car has suggested something like that.

I've added my old fuelly stats to my signature so you can peruse them tank by tank. You might also notice a drop in mpg's around April 2010 where 5w30 oil was used.

Well, in defense of the vehicle, I think that that 40.37 (over 133 miles) was a bit of a "one off" in overall terms because I was doing all short journeys and I was messing about a lot with getting Torque dashboards setup and getting to know the car (=standing still with the system running and using the occasional squirts of fuel!). I have found out that unless you are really careful with the Yaris around town/short journeys, the mpg plummets.

If you remove that one tankful from my figures, the overall average thus far is a more respectable 48.4mpg. Also, my last tankful (mostly visiting my mum in hospital in the W.Midlands) of 54.14 actually showed as 63.8 on the gauge when we returned home (think I mentioned it elsewhere...) but was ruined by a couple of days of short runs near home before I filled up again. Even when I filled up at that time the gauge was still showing 58+ so it looks as if the gauge is a tad optimistic also? (fuelly figures are neck to neck filled the same way every time)

The other thing is that I have learnt now is how to improve the mpg on this car without necessarily having to drive like a grandma everywhere so I'm sure future tankfuls will reflect that but I'm also sure your point (and others') about the Yaris being "tuned for great official mpgs" is probably about right...

... why would Toyota, on a car where drag coefficient is critical, mess it all up when it comes to choosing wheel/tyre combinations that would result in a worse drag coefficient? Doesn't make sense to me... :g:

me neither - the Gen 2 Prius CD was 0.26 and Toyota reportedly spent millions to improve the Gen 3, giving it the highest amount of wind tunnel testing of any previous Toyota, so why they'd want the majority of those sold to have worse aerodynamics after spending all that, well...
but I gave up trying to understand Toyota logic when I had a 2002 Gen 1 Prius with no heated mirrors; they were standard in Portugal! (and something I'd thought by the end of the 1980s I'd never have to be without again).
Also, finding out after driving 10,000 miles that my car was fully fitted with cruise control except for the switch was VERY annoying (but easy to fix).
and as to the Gen 3 Yaris, they threw out 3 of its USPs (brilliant instruments, lots of oddments stowage, sliding rear seats) - go figure!
  • Like 2

and as to the Gen 3 Yaris, they threw out 3 of its USPs (brilliant instruments, lots of oddments stowage, sliding rear seats) - go figure!

They wanted to make it more trendy and for the youngsters 'innit'.
  • Like 1

Why not think of Petrol Auris 2010 onwards? My 1.33 returns a healthy 51-53 MPG on motorway miles, nearly same as hybrid and costs alot less!

Yes my car does return 50MPG very easily. I have seen the official MPG for it and it should be 48-48.5 but myne hits 52MPG easy on motorway and 45-46MPG city with stop/start engine. The crusie range shows 310 ish on full tank and I get 400 miles easy. This happens at cruising at 80-90MPH. I have also never experienced and of the wind noise issues (fingers crossed) and never happens. There are downsides such as bland interior and some creaks here and there on very bumpy roads. Overall I would go for Hybrid at the end only because my Auris is depreciating really badly, Ive lost 1.5k in price since purchasing it 7 months ago.

• Like 1

Why not think of Petrol Auris 2010 onwards? My 1.33 returns a healthy 51-53 MPG on motorway miles, nearly same as hybrid and costs alot less!

Yes my car does return 50MPG very easily. I have seen the official MPG for it and it should be 48-48.5 but myne hits 52MPG easy on motorway and 45-46MPG city with stop/start engine. The crusie range shows 310 ish on full tank and I get 400 miles easy. This happens at cruising at 80-90MPH. I have also never experienced and of the wind noise issues (fingers crossed) and never happens. There are downsides such as bland interior and some creaks here and there on very bumpy roads. Overall I would go for Hybrid at the end only because my Auris is depreciating really badly, Ive lost 1.5k in price since purchasing it 7 months ago.

I've noticed the price drop in Auris Hybrids while the Prius looks like its price is holding very well even going up insome case

Right I've spoken with the local toyota dealer and they have agreed to me having a Prius for 24 hrs so I can do my commute.

I will be picking it up on Wednesday and I have to add it to my own insurance which seems a bit weird. Anyway I will let you all know how I get on

Thanks

Right I've spoken with the local toyota dealer and they have agreed to me having a Prius for 24 hrs so I can do my commute.

I will be picking it up on Wednesday and I have to add it to my own insurance which seems a bit weird. Anyway I will let you all know how I get on

Thanks

Usually because their insurance has some silly excess of £1,000. Much better to add it to your policy.

Just enjoy the car, drive gently, have a bit of fun with EV mode (pressing the button) but don't use it to try and improve mpg's. Only use B for going down long hills. Best not using Eco mode as it will ruin any pleasure.

Have fun. Reset the mpg trip. You'll also find it performs better if you press the accelerator 3/4 of the way rather than flooring it.

Thanks

good luck. If it were me, I'd check the tyre pressures as if they're under inflated they can hit the mpg, whilst if seriously over inflated they may 'inflate' the mpg but give a very firm ride.

• Like 1

Regarding which is the best model, I guess it's horses for courses:

Those are for the facelifted Gen3 Prius (current model).

The original Gen3 specs were a bit different.

Usually because their insurance has some silly excess of £1,000.

Wow, that reminds me of my attempts to get the premium down as a new driver :lol:

Wow, that reminds me of my attempts to get the premium down as a new driver :lol:

... which is why we always use our own insurance when having courtesy cars or a car on a longer term test. The £50 excess is slightly more pocket friendly should the worst happen

... which is why we always use our own insurance when having courtesy cars or a car on a longer term test. The £50 excess is slightly more pocket friendly should the worst happen

That's how I always play it. Take the cheapest excess you're happy with. £400 doesn't sound a lot when you're getting a quote, but try finding that one week before Christmas for an accident that wasn't your fault and it suddenly brings it into context.

If you`re still interested in a Auris hybrid, or the Prius, All I can say is "go for it"...I chose the Auris (2011) over a Prius for one good reasons....for your given budget, you can buy a newer Auris compared to the Prius, but underneath they`re the same vehicle.

As for the running costs on the motorway, on a 430 mile round trip i did, in heavy traffic m1 and m25 and A roads it was showing 71mpg......and was a quiet and relaxing drive at all speeds.

The Auris Hybrid does use the same powertrain as the Prius, and the 2013 Auris is a re-working of the 2007-2012 Auris - the Type Approval for the 2013 Auris was carried forward from the 2007 Auris.

I looked at the ct200 too, but found prices too high for my budget so bought a 2011 auris t-spirit. Ticks all the box`s for me.