Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corroded Rear Sill And Mot

jaguarsimon

Hi,

I have a 1994 Corolla. It's MOT is due soon and I've just discovered a large rusted hole at the bottom of one of the rear sills right at the back which I presume will be an MOT failure.

Can this be repaired by welding plates onto it or does it need new sills which I guess would be a lot more expensive?

The car is worthless I guess and I use if for my dog walking business so it's disgusting inside and out, but it's so reliable I don't mind spending a few hundred pounds getting it through the MOT.

Thanks,

Simon

Hi Simon.

The sill should be repairable with welded plates. Cost is variable as it's down to who does the job. I've had sills welded on my previous car (Rover 214) and I found a place that charged £50 for 3 plates (where I've been charged £50 for 1 plate in the past).

Replacing the sills is an option, but again cost is down to who does the job (and how well). I have patched the sills on a Austin Metro (ended up looking like a patchwork quilt) only to find out a few weeks later that a motor factor could have supplied replacement outer sills for £10 each (quite a few years ago tho').

If you like the car and like you said, it's reliable, a couple of hundred is still cheap for another years motoring.

Cheers

S2

Stu,

i never remember seeing an Austin Metro without welded patches on it :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links