Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Useless Frost Warning

ALake

I think I've only just recently noticed that the frost warning on my rav4 is a bit pointless. Compared to every other car I've had it only flags up a warning when the temperature is exactly 3 degrees. Not less than 3, but exactly 3! So when I drove to work this morning, it was showing -1 and the roads were (as usual) ungritted and icy - by the time I got to work 40 minutes later, the Ice warning popped up as it had 'warmed' up to 3!

Weird, you would think this would appear at 3 or less - unless frost and ice in Japan only form at 3 degrees!

Its only a small niggle, but I've only just noticed it today. A guy I work with says his Focus bongs a warning when it dips below 4.

Pretty funny lol, all my VW's have frost sign come up when starting at 3 degrees or less. Too bad Auris doesn't have this, although its a pretty useless feature.

Well personally, the frost on the screen gave it away for me this morning so I drove accordingly ;) seriously though, I find those types of warning a right gimmick, when it shows me minus 1 I know it's cold, I would hate to hear chimes and bongs, no thanks, I will take my chances

Kingo

It is a bit of a gimmick, but having got used to the warning chime and my previous 5 or 6 cars, its sometimes a handy reminder that its cold enough for ice, even if frost isn't immediately obvious!

Oddly toyota agree, but have a very specific type of ice in mind, the 3 degree frost!

I'm sometimes given a 'useless Frost warning' by my other half .......

I know just what you mean, I start my car up and it says 3 c (no warning) then when I have been driving for about 10 min's I suddenly get the bong warning noise. very strange. :boxed:

The frost warning on the US-spec RAV is even worse. The temperature display flashes 5 times when it falls just above freezing. Unless you drive with your eyes on the display, you'll never notice it. No chimes, no lights, just 5 flashes. And that's only the air temperature, the bridge ahead could be much colder and iced over anyway.

• 1 month later...

Worse still when it's 4c then you drive down the road it's 3c and bing! Then a bit more then it's 4c then a bit more it's 3c bing! ....and on and on.......flipping heck - bing on, bing off...warning on...warning off.......I know you can disable it but you can only disable it during your trip. Then tomorrow it starts all over again....rubbish design Toyota! And the warning is massive like something major's gone wrong...it's well OTT.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links