Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next Prius Model?

Old Bob

My second Prius is a 2010 model that I'm hoping to replace with the next model Prius. Is there any solid info on when the next upgrade model will be for sale?

It has been reported that Toyota have delayed the launch of the next generation Prius until late 2015 (December??). Of course, that doesn't say when it will go on sale in the UK.

Thanks for that. I keep looking on line and there is some info in USA but nothing definite for the UK.

Bob.

Latest communication from TGB is Quarter 1 2016 along with new Proace & Hilux

And will it be for sale in the UK?

Look at the pricing of the Prius of late and the sales figures last year are lower than in 2005. The highest sales were in 2010 before the Auris HSD and in the middle of a recession.

I wonder now that Toyota EU have the Yaris and Auris hybrid, whether they actually want the imported Prius? Bob the price up so it's not competitive, sales drop, and then drop the model. They sell hundreds of thousands in Japan or the US, why bother with 3k in the UK? Toyota did exactly the same thing with the Camry, which is still a hot seller elsewhere in the World including RHD markets.

There's obviously a demand for the Prius - just look at how second hand prices are holding up - but who's going to pay £22,500 for a base model? Not many it seems :(

My 2p's worth.

what's the betting the base model will be dearer then anyway?

Presumably as Toyota stated last year that there won't be a hybrid version of the Avensis but they will be offering a hybrid in the European D market sector, is this where the next generation Prius comes in? The current Avensis and Prius already have the same size wheelbase (100mm larger than the Auris), and there is only 230mm difference in overall length. If the next generation Prius is a little longer, it may provide a nice fit in this market sector, and distance itself from the Auris.

The latest info we have on upcoming Hybrids is:

Rav4 Hybrid Quarter 4 2015

New Prius Quarter 1 2016

Both will be on sale in UK, no info on specs or prices yet.

• Like 1

Presumably as Toyota stated last year that there won't be a hybrid version of the Avensis but they will be offering a hybrid in the European D market sector, is this where the next generation Prius comes in? The current Avensis and Prius already have the same size wheelbase (100mm larger than the Auris), and there is only 230mm difference in overall length. If the next generation Prius is a little longer, it may provide a nice fit in this market sector, and distance itself from the Auris.

Or is the Avensis getting a little long in the tooth and the new version will have a hybrid option? Ford have done just that with their belated Mondeo.

Trouble is, the Prius is super economical because of it's efficient shape. The same excellent fuel economy doesn't seem to have passed on to the Yaris and Auris hsd in real world results.

I just hope Toyota don't drop the ball here, or at least not for too long. There is a lot of competition out there.

The 'new' Avensis is supposed to be a facelift of the existing model to keep a Toyota in this market sector.

Is this new hybrid Rav 4 a plug in,if so it would get the £5000 government allowance which would bring it down to the current non hybrid model.My son is about to buy a Mitsubishi Outlander phev I went with him on the test drive I was impressed.If they overprice the new Rav Toyota may loose out.Salesman told me they were bringing out a smaller version of the Rav his nose didn't start to grow so maybe they are.

Toyota are supposed to be bringing out a crossover which will fit into the range below the Rav4 SUV. Photos of what is reckoned to be an Auris test mule have featured in the press for a while -

toyota-auris-spy-1-01.jpg?itok=6CRxDSsa

• Like 1

I think Toyota needs to have a crossover in their model line up, it's a growing section of the market, I for one would be interested especially if it had a hybrid drive!

Is this new hybrid Rav 4 a plug in,if so it would get the £5000 government allowance which would bring it down to the current non hybrid model.My son is about to buy a Mitsubishi Outlander phev I went with him on the test drive I was impressed.If they overprice the new Rav Toyota may loose out.Salesman told me they were bringing out a smaller version of the Rav his nose didn't start to grow so maybe they are.

lol I had to smile at this as the same was said of the Plug In Prius back in 2010. I'd put money on it that Toyota would simply add £5,000 to the price to profit from the UK tax payers.

The PIP is only worth £28k and if Toyota had played ball it should have been £23k after the grant. But that never happened. They simply priced it at £33k before the grant, which is insane considering the 5 kwh Battery and technology that isn't much different to the non plug in.

I imagine something similar would happen to any other plug in vehicle they'll sell. They'd be mad to though, with the Outlander PHEV starting at £28k for a much better specced vehicle.

I hope they don't do that,if they do they won't be selling many.It would be a big mistake what with the Mitsubishi Sax being released as a plug in around July 2015.We had a test drive with the Outlander phev I was impressed with the car but can't say the same about the sales people at theMitsubishi dealer we went to.

I think Toyota needs to have a crossover in their model line up, it's a growing section of the market, I for one would be interested especially if it had a hybrid drive!

There is a crossover coming, based on a slightly larger Auris platform with all three drivetrain options: Petrol/Diesel/Hybrid. Concepts info is already out there: http://www.toyota-global.com/events/motor_show/2014-paris/chr/

However Toyota are being very secretive about launch dates

lol I had to smile at this as the same was said of the Plug In Prius back in 2010. I'd put money on it that Toyota would simply add £5,000 to the price to profit from the UK tax payers.

The PIP is only worth £28k and if Toyota had played ball it should have been £23k after the grant. But that never happened. They simply priced it at £33k before the grant, which is insane considering the 5 kwh Battery and technology that isn't much different to the non plug in.

I imagine something similar would happen to any other plug in vehicle they'll sell. They'd be mad to though, with the Outlander PHEV starting at £28k for a much better specced vehicle.

But the outlander PHEV isn't better spec'ed until you're looking about the £40k mark, or at least it wasn't when I looked a while back. And as I say time and time again it's not really a direct competitor when you factor in its size, and running costs with tyre sized and 30mpg in HV.

The honest answer is we don't know if the new Rav Hybrid will be plugin, but when you consider the Lexus NX is a Rav in posh clothes it is quite likely the Rav will be a 2.5 4 cylinder Hybrid with choice of 2 or 4wd just like the NX

I think a RAV sized hybrid is more then most people want, it would be a bit too large for me, I would be interested in the crossover based on the Auris though.

Several manufacturers are bringing out a new crossover this year, Honda, Mazda, and Renault are some I've read about recently, apart from the Renault I will have a look at them!