Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Info On A T180 Please.

Bod&Hammie

Hi Gang,

I'm looking to part ex my trusty old Corolla 2 Litre Diesel for a '57 plate 2008 reg SR180 with 30,000 miles on it.

Is there anything I should be looking out for?

We recently had a 2.2 D4D Verso on a 57 plate that ended up having to have a new engine (see link below) after years of engine issues and this T180 has the same engine and I've heard that they can be even more of a pain. Is there any truth in this?

Thanks in advance.

Bod

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/112903-really-wetting-myself/

This car falls exactly into a possible faulty batch of engines that Toyota produced.

Before you part with ANY money whatsoever contact a Toyota dealer with the reg. no. and see if it has had a factory rebuilt or factory new engine, they can check via their computer system. That does not include a dealer rebuild or another garage having rebuilt the engine which is even worse.

For 3 years 2006 to 2009 the internal clearances were not quite right and the head gasket were very common to fail which due to the design this meant a new or 3/4 engine would need to be fitted and Toyota were very good with their warranty and up to 7 years old as long as the vehicle had full main dealer service history then they would supply and fit the engine free of charge.

This car you are looking at is too old now to fall within this warranty period and the price of a new engine fitted is £7K.

So you need to see it the engine has been replaced and by whom, if it has not just walk away no matter now shiny it looks!

Mike.

• Like 1

Good advice Mike, Thanks. I have contacted Dingles Toyota and am awaiting a call back.

Bod

Hi Bod

You are very welcome for the advise.

If it is the original engine, then I really advise you to walk away.

Thanks for replying.

Mike.

I certainly will walk away as we have already had all this engine hassle with our old Verso which has now happily gone and replaced with our new Avensis.

It was really stressful each time it went wrong but Dingles always stepped up and sorted it until finally a new engine went in under the extended warranty scheme.

My old Corolla diesel has been superb until recently when it has started having funny starting moments now and again and I just feel it's time to move on to something a bit newer (and really cool looking).

Bod.

Hi,

The advice I was given by Lindop Toyota is buy a late 2009 as possible. I bought an sr180, 59 plate, 88k, vgc, 1 owner, £4800 from a dealer

See. http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

Being a '57 2008 model, the car will be outside or teetering on the outside of the goodwill warranty period. I would walk unless the car has had a replacement engine from Toyota.

Well the good news is that the SR180 was sold so my dealer is looking for a later one.

I was also looking at the T180/SR180

Having worked at Toyota and speaking to my old colleague (Service Manager) he advised to steer clear of these engines!

Apparently the new 2.2DCAT isn't much good either.

Hi Sam

Sorry I have to disagree about the 2.2 D-Cat not being much good.

They are chain driven, all the problems have been sorted out, I have never seen one that isn't dry to look at. Their only down feature is their fuel consumption as they have a 5th injector for exhaust emissions making them just a tad more juicy but makes the exhaust gases cleaner.

Can I ask why you say the engine isn't much good?

Regards Mike.

Hi Mike,

Exterior wise, Wow what a car. I like the alloys in particular, it makes the car stand out.

Looking at the issues list as per above, and being advised by a Service Manager from Toyota themselves, they advised to steer clear.

Primarily on the Cat having issues, the EGR valve blocking and various pipes blocking. Supposedly all of the 2.2DCAT engines, (RAV4, Avensis and Auris) all have the same problems.

The issues have been resolved by Toyota, but the T180 I was looking at was on a 57 plate with 60k, which would sit outside of Toyota's replacement scheme.

The new 2.2DCAT has some changed components but the engine manifold has issues too apparently.

I understand that chain driven cars go on forever (Have a Chrysler 300C in the family) and hasn't put a foot wrong at 130k miles!

Finally, I am gutted about the issues surrounding these cars, as the one I drove went really well, I do a lot of mileage to remote areas and the reliability worried me. I'm yet to find another manufacturer that produces a decent looking diesel with a silly amount of torque.

Hi Sam

Very interesting comments you have made and all very accurate i believe. The EGR valves are a problem blocking and there are various video's on YouTube on how to clean them if you are mechanicaly minded at all or a mechanic can do it easily within an hour and it appears quite simple, i just hope Toyota dealers don't just fit new ones as Toyota spares can be disproportionatally expensive.

Personally i use the dearer diesel Shell V Power for example as it has more detergents in it to keep the valve and pipes cleaner inside although i realise if a certain diesel 2.2 D-Cat is driven at speed at least once a week then the problems are much less.

There are of course various diesel cleaners that apparently do work quite well as well.

Post 2009 engines are certainly better but at the expence of poorer fuel consumption due to the 5th injector. I like in my case Rav4's as bodywork wise they don't appear to rust but no doubt as time goes by the elements will take their toll.

Overall i am very happy with my 2012 Rav4 2.2 D-Cat with exceptionally low mileage on it but it does like fuel stations more than i expected.

Regards Mike.

• Like 1

"Primarily on the Cat having issues, the EGR valve blocking and various pipes blocking."

I think that you will find this common to pretty much any modern diesel & not just Toyotas.

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Yes there are various videos around cleaning the EGR valve, but its not something I'd feel confident doing! :( And knowing some private businesses, they may do just that!

I also use Shell V-Power in the Yaris, and I get a better return in MPG over long trips and the engine feels more responsive.

The RAV4 looks unbelievably good with the T180 kit on I have to agree, and I believe Toyota have a 12 year warranty against there paint protection?

And Heidfirst, I haven't looked at any other diesels, as I have always been a Toyota person!

• Like 1

The RAV4 looks unbelievably good with the T180 kit on I have to agree, and I believe Toyota have a 12 year warranty against there paint protection?

The paintwork and surface rust warranty is three years. The anti corrosion and perforation warranty is twelve years.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links