Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My 2008 Has A Crunch When Changing Gear To 2Nd...

Totally Tech IT

Hey all,

I recently bought a 2.0 D-4D 2008(08) which only 8 weeks ago had a complete clutch and flywheel fitted. I've noticed in the 300 miles I've driven this week that when the car is cold I can only drop to first when stationary (even if the clutch is fully down) and when changing up or down to 2nd it crunches, but the clutch is down to the floor. Once the car is warm it no longer crunches etc....

Any ideas?

Could be a poorly adjusted shift cable, but more common is the incorrect spec gearbox oil the car should have mono grade 75W oil used but people use 75W90 as it is cheaper and easier to come by the thicker 75W90 causes poor shift especially in the lower gears.

they all do ...

Really? Its horrible though, I'm worried that before the clutch was replaced the gearbox was damaged in 2nd...

Could be a poorly adjusted shift cable, but more common is the incorrect spec gearbox oil the car should have mono grade 75W oil used but people use 75W90 as it is cheaper and easier to come by the thicker 75W90 causes poor shift especially in the lower gears.

The clutch pedal just hits the floor, not very stiff etc, but I've never had a 2008 Avensis so not sure how stiff its meant to be - I'm always worried about everything lol...

The car is back at the normal garage tomorrow for its full service, so I'll ask them to check it and replace the oil - I've just checked the invoice and it just says:

6.5 Hours Labour

3pc clutch kit

Dual Mass Flywheel

Flywheel Bolt Set

So no information for the type of oil :)

Scrub that, Just checking through the history and on March 2014 they replaced the Gearbox output shaft seal and used 0.5L of UKTOGA03 GL5 Semi Synthetic 75W90 Gear Oil.......

I just looked on Eurocarparts and it lists the gearbox oil as MaxLife MTF GL-4 SAE 75W-80 @ £123 - is the 75W stuff a dealer oil only?

just order 4L of the right stuff!! :)

Hopefully that will sort it out :)

"Could be a poorly adjusted shift cable"

are these adjustable? if so how?

my user manual states 75/90 (1cd-ftv engine)

afaik they came/come ex-factory with a multigrade gear oil but that straight 75W is approved to lessen the effect.

wish my local Toyota parts department had made me aware! :ffs:

My car has the Fuchs Titan SRG in the gearbox (assuming that the dealer actually put in what I gave to them to put in) - it's still a crap gearshift into 2nd especially when cold.

Mk2 Avensis started out with 75w90 then the 2.2 d4d introduced 75w and the rest of the range gained 75w along with the facelift. The 1CD only used 75w90 as it was replaced by the 1AD using 75W

afaik they came/come ex-factory with a multigrade gear oil but that straight 75W is approved to lessen the effect.

Early MK2 had 75w90 then 2.2 D4D used 75w and rest of range used 75w from facelift onwards, now all manual Toyota boxes use 75w from factory

My car has the Fuchs Titan SRG in the gearbox (assuming that the dealer actually put in what I gave to them to put in) - it's still a crap gearshift into 2nd especially when cold.

Ditto, I had my gearbox oil changed to a straight 75W oil at 50k mls. It helps a little, but still a very slow change to 2nd gear when cold - otherwise you'll crunch it every time. Once warm it's fine.

Mk2 Avensis started out with 75w90 then the 2.2 d4d introduced 75w and the rest of the range gained 75w along with the facelift. The 1CD only used 75w90 as it was replaced by the 1AD using 75W

Thank you Lee, should I continue to use 75/90 or would you recommend changing to 75 if changed again.

• 2 weeks later...

interesting

ive always had cold shift into second a bit notchy and take my time with it

I had a leaking driveshaft seal from n/s when I first got the car probably due to the clutch being done before I got the car

I changed seal and oil to what was recommended at the time I think it was 75/80

still had this 2nd gear notchy and thought it was damage due to low oil

I put in some lucas oils gearbox oil and it helped

but reassuring this can be a common fault as its not got worse in just over 2 years ive owned the car.

I was also thinking my creaky clutch master cylinder wasn't pushing the slave cylinder far enough to fully disengage the clutch plate but it hasn't got that drastic for further investigation