Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Do I Get An Auris Hybrid Icon Plus ?

Jimmy6616

... comics complain of loud engine and CVT noise (not that the eCVT would make much noise itself) ...

I think this comes from the fact that if you suddenly "floor it", the petrol engine gives maximum revs and seems quite noisy.

I think this is probably no worse than many conventional autos if you kickdown into 3rd or even 2nd at speed (or change gear in a manual), although new (to hybrid) drivers will find the way it stays at a constant rpm as the car accelerates seems strange.

I also think because the hybrid is so quiet the rest of the time it stands out more.

I've found if you squeeze rather than stamp on the pedal it's more refined whilst still giving some urgency.

Makes sense! What I find is odd is that when you go for something approaching maximum power in most cars the engine has to be revved, and gets noisy. With the hybrid you can modulate the power/battery output to have enough poke most of the time, I think. Will need to see what performance is like climbing over to the Cat and Fiddle and nearby undulations.

Never floor the hybrid (unless you need to ;) ) as it will rev unpleasantly. You can get to 60 mph virtually as quickly and much quieter if you only press the accelerator 1/4 of the way down.

I barely floor mine, other than pulling out onto busy A roads on hills etc. If you know ahead that you need to 'go for it', then slip the car into Power mode, give it a couple seconds for the computers to catch up, and then floor it. It shifts surprisingly quickly. :)

Makes sense! What I find is odd is that when you go for something approaching maximum power in most cars the engine has to be revved, and gets noisy.

You've hit the nail on the head, its no more noisy than any other petrol engine at 4500RPM in my opinion, but its the way it does it that people can't get their head around which seems to make them think its that noisy.

I've had CVTs before and it behaves no differently, so I've never had an issue or seen it as being behavior that's out of the ordinary.

Hi everyone, my last day of the test drive and another 200 miles. I feel so sad as to give the auris back tomorrow, thanks toyota for making my mind up

Today mostly A roads and a b with a bit of the M4, still managed in excess of 59 mpg, lots of talk about the 'whine' which is actually isn't a whine but as previous post have commented on is the engine. Press the accelerator, get up to speed and then back off, job done. I was an avid diesel fan now converted, the hybrid is so smooth and quiet and when you need to accelerate up a hill for example its out of the ordinary because you hear something, weird or what!

i was told by various forum posts to try the hybrid, have done, and to be quite honest love, it Its without doubt a different way of driving but in no way a worse way, i would say hybrid driver are actually better drivers. roll on early march when i get my own hybrid back because I will miss it big time. New car spec is:

Auris hybrid icon plus, in white with pan roof, parking pack, black leather with blue stitching and chrome pack

I cant wait..................

Thanks all for your time, comments and frustration

jim

• Like 1

Colin. Hi. Read your post and got myself one of those readers. Downloaded full version of 'Torque' onto my Sammy Galaxy Note4 and all seems to be working fine. But it turns out my Yaris HSD doesn't support HV Battery percent which is a shame as that was what I was mostly after. Still lots of other interesting stuff to be had so thanks for the tip.

Yes it does. If you've downloaded the 3rd gen pids, it's the one called "SoC" (State of Charge). I just renamed it to HV Battery Charge...

Okay. Sorry I don't understand what your telling me. Could you do an idiot's simpler explanation version please. I saw 3rd gen prius pids but soc not on the list did get inverter temp though.

HSD3 PIDs subset (Metric).txt

Sorry I was wrong. It is the HSD3 PIDs subset (Metric).csv file you need to load into torque. You'll find it in there... (rename the filename extension to ".csv" after you download it)

Hi all,

I'll start a new topic about it when I get it but I've ordered an Auris Icon+ Touring Sports HSD and I pick it up in 2 days.

I've currently got an Octavia VRS petrol so quite a change. The Octavia does about 30 MPG with my driving cycles which involves a lot of A roads, B roads and sitting in traffic in town.

It was a toss up between the Auris, a SEAT Leon ST 1.2 DSG, a Nissan Qashqai 1.5 DCi and a few others. The Auris won in the end on Toyota's 0% APR, £750 deposit contribution, and the amazing discount I got from the dealer.

I haven't actually test drove any of them much to the chagrin of my colleagues. But my driving style is quite relaxed anyway so I'm hoping I'll fit the characteristics of the car. Really looking forward to some nice quiet, relaxed, comfortable driving. Unfortunately it just worked out that way that by the time I'd signed up for ordering the car I hadn't had chance to test drive one. It seems that the only people who don't like them are the journalists but the things they mark them down for are things I desire such as a comfortable rather than sporty chassis.

Just wait til you're sat in a traffic jam or slow, crawling traffic on a nice day - engine off, a/c running on low. It's actually not a bad place to be - other than the smoke and pollution from the other cars. The crude Stop/Start systems on diesels just don't work in heavy traffic as most jam crawl along at about 1-2 mph.

You'll also get to love the smooth power delivery when you floor it out of busy junctions.

Enjoy your new smooth, relaxed new drive.

• Like 1

Driving a Hybrid is great, they are so easy and quiet to drive. Forget what the motoring journalists say many of them just try to thrash hell out of a car and corner at speeds no ordinary motorists ever does. ( just watch Clarkson's programmes).Although some Toyota dealers get criticised at times generally speaking they are a lot better than most other dealers. A recent recall on my neighbours car (NOT a Toyota) resulted in him getting his bookings cancelled 3 times as they did not have the manpower!! He still waiting. You will enjoy your hybrid motoring and if you are like me will wonder why anybody buys a diesal car. Enjoy your new car.

Having driven a Prius for the last four years, I wouldn't have anything other than another hybrid.

On a trip to Burnham on Sea yesterday got on the M5 junction 4,total distance there and back home 226 miles.About 95% of the journey was motorway and speed was 60/65 mph.Average miles and trip miles were approx the same 72.4 didn't think I would get that mpg.I have a Auris Excel hybrid and I did the whole trip in Eco,I was pleased with that I still have winter tyres fitted I might have squeezed a few more on summer tyres.I thought motorway driving would affect the mpg

On a trip to Burnham on Sea yesterday got on the M5 junction 4,total distance there and back home 226 miles.About 95% of the journey was motorway and speed was 60/65 mph.Average miles and trip miles were approx the same 72.4 didn't think I would get that mpg.I have a Auris Excel hybrid and I did the whole trip in Eco,I was pleased with that I still have winter tyres fitted I might have squeezed a few more on summer tyres.I thought motorway driving would affect the mpg

Why do you say that?

Motorway driving does affect economy like it would in most cars, mostly due to air resistance. But the hybrid works in a way that you're getting benefit even at 70-80 mph. People can't get their heads around that and it's hard to explain how the system does this - especially without having someone come along and complicate the simple explanation you've just come up with.

Effectively you still get electric assistance to the engine at those speeds. There are two electric motors/generators. One helps the engine whilst the other charges. Bit more complex than that but that's the basics.

Now you can see why people like hybrids; 60-70 mpg in real world driving in a Mondeo sized car. No diesel fan boy gets that (in the same sized car) - Guaranteed. I've driven more diesel saloons and hatchbacks that I care to remember.

The Toyota hybrid gets an easy 30% increase in economy over diesel, the fuel costs less and road tax is free.

I say it because that was the question asked by the chap who started the thread he was asking what experiences other drivers were having.He wasn't asking for an indepth report of the hybrid system.This was the experience I had and I was pleased with my results.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, ordered the Auris hybrid, the leasing company say I can't have leather with an Icon plus and I need to order an Excel which I've done, so Excel with pan roof, black leather\blue stiching, chrome pack in White coming early April and I can't wait . Needless to say I've read every post on this web site and love the dedication and assistance from the hybrid elite and thanks for your honest comments. Will post a pic etc when it arrives and can recommend Motorline Toyota of Filton road, Bristol.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well it arrived yesterday and I love it. Excel, pan, nav, black leather with blue stitching and chrome pack. Already getting 50mpgpost-146406-0-40454700-1429797323_thumb.post-146406-0-46349700-1429797358_thumb.

• Like 1

I want to change the boot Lamp with a led festoon how does the clear cover come off?

Lovely car.

Congratulations and enjoy.

As to the boot light cover I am sure that they just unclip each end using a finger nail or possibly a thin nail file.

I want to change the boot Lamp with a led festoon how does the clear cover come off?

As previously mentioned, it does come off with a bit of gentle persuasion from a small screwdriver in the slots but it is a stiff little so and so! (did the exact same change myself on my Yaris)

The Auris is a nice looking car and I like them in white. Not just saying that either :)

Thanks guys cabbie in white looks good and the pan roof lets so much light in with the black interior

• 9 months later...

Just came across this thread again, looking for OBD2 scanner info.  Now have a 2015 Auris Excel TSS with 7000 miles on the clock. In white, as that was all they had in recent vehicles. 

Early days. Replacing the Dunlop originals with Crossclimates today. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links