Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1999 E11 Headlight Motor Not Working.

Sarah99

Hi all,

I just realised yesterday that when I turn the headlight adjustment dial, only one of my lights moves up and down.

Could anyone shed some..............eh................light on this please :laughing:

Thanks.

Sarah.

Seems very little info on those headlight leveling motors.

In the manual for my later model it just says that 'at time of writing only complete headlight units available , no separate motor'

Seems the motor units are wired together so if one works then the other must be a faulty motor or mechanism in the whole unit , but check first for a broken wire / connector .

Not sure which style of lights you have but some after market units are as little as £40, or you could remove the unit and someone could try and check /repair/replace the motor if you can find /google one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-COROLLA-1997-1999-E11-Headlight-Headlamp-Electric-LH-Left-Passenger-/121440239957?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c46670155

Would have thought the trouble with replacing just one headlight on an old car is you will end up with somewhat different looking brightness from them ..so a pair might look better.

This link shows a typical headlight motor circuit

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/26562-diy-retrofit-headlight-beam-level-control-switch-in-facelift-1zz-corolla/

Thanks oldcodger.

My manual says the same thing, I'll get in there and have a good look around for broken wires.

Would you know if the motor is part of the light assembly on the Bug Eyed, or bolted on beside it?

Thanks.

Would you know if the motor is part of the light assembly on the Bug Eyed, or bolted on beside it?

Thanks.

No idea, though from the odd picutre of some second hand units on eBay looks like they may be internal.

Worth unplugging the connectors in case any pins have corroded if water etc has got in.

My first thought would be to ring your local Toyota dealer and see what price for a complete headlight unit and what price / if the motor is available as a part on its own, though no idea if its practicable to open up one of these assemblies ??

At the end of the day, do you really need the healdlight leveling anyway ? Unless you are carrying lots of heavy varing loads at night its a generally redundant feature.

Would think disconnecting the other one would still keep it MOT ( or your equivalent) legal , but worth checking the point.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links