Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Heads Up Display

jonb12340

I have recently had my windscreen replaced due to a crack. The windscreen is fine with none of the ghosting some report. However the size of the projected display has shrunk. Whilst still readable, it is frustrating.

I assume there is a system of mirrors that facilitate the hud, is it possible these have been knocked out and does anyone know if it can be fixed.

Grateful for help, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Step through the different displays available on the HUD button. Mine has two sizes of MPG reading available.

presumably the larger size is MPH only, the smaller is where you select the ECO graph as well?

• Like 1

Yes, and the third setting is "Off"

Probably not the problem but simple to try.

Thanks for the advice, I have tried this and it makes little difference.

Does Toyota fit a special screen? If not then it must be to do with how the mechanics of the hid work....?

I always thought it was a special screen with some reflective thingy in it. A replacement windscreen is never as good or the same and they can also have some distortion near the edges.

Check to make sure nothing has fallen inside the hud display screen (it's just a high contrast monitor that reflects on the windscreen), such as bits of glass etc. If it's still faulty you might want to make it known to the glass company and get Toyota to check it too. You can never be sure the fitter hasn't bashed it with a hammer or something not realising exactly what it was.

I wonder if they've somehow mounted it too close? A small change in distance from the HUD projector can make a surprisingly big difference to the size of the image.

Who fitted it? Can you get them to come back and sort it out on the grounds that it's not been put in correctly? (Or they've used the wrong glass, if special glass is needed?)

Just a follow up on HUD issue. The supplier has said that the screen has a slightly different 'profile' to the original but asserts that all should be readable ( it is just smaller)

They have enough clauses in their contract to allow me not to get it changed and even if I did it may no difference. Oh well!

Thanks for your help .. And something to watch for ...

• Like 1

It doesn't matter what they say in their contract, if it is not "fit for purpose" they have to address the issue.

• Like 1

As Paul has said, its not fit for purpose, stand your ground. If a switched on buyer notices this its going to potentially affect the resale value of your car also!!

• Like 1

Name and shame the company. I don't want a cracked windscreen this weekend and inadvertantly use them. I'd also be curious who Toyota Insurance use and whether it's the same company? If so, then a strong letter to them is in order.

I've seen threads here and elsewhere before about problems with the HUD after windscreen replacement - some have said it's blurred after the change, like double vision, Including this one:

I'd already decided if I ever need a new screen I'd go to my dealer - I think it would could £300-£400 and I'd only get a small amount back from the insurer due to not using their preferred supplier, but I can really do without this sort of pain in the proverbials.

Even if they sub contract, they will be responsible for ensuring the work is up to scratch (and I'd make sure they know to monitor the HUD operation). Someone else said the same in the thread linked above.

• Like 1

I'd be curious on the price from the main dealers. If it is £400 then s*d it and pay it. Much easier than getting a cheapo job through your insurers and being reminded of it's failings every time you get it your car. And if it is £400 and your insurer give you a £150/£200 contribution then even better. Obviously would indicate that they only pay £200 in the first place.

Having a dodgy screen and not seeing the HUD correctly would drive me bananas. I'd have to sell the car.

• Like 1

The problem is, how do you define "fit for purpose"?

It presumably works as a windscreen (keeps rain out and you can see through it), you can still see the HUD, and it's (from the sound of it) not blurred. If it's "a bit smaller", they may be able to argue their case, unless it's sufficiently smaller it makes it unreadable, or very difficult to read. I think it depends on how much smaller it is, and how easy it is to define by how much it has changed.

Just found this post including a comment from barrycoll: "Phoned my Toyota chap, and he has quoted £493 for a windscreen"

Read on for some useful info and a satisfactory outcome in his case.

I am pleased I have Toyota Insurance and so in the event of a windscreen needing replacement it would be done by a Toyota dealer.

If the car as a HUD and you cannot view it then that is sure to reduce the selling price of the car. I would assume the screen now fitted to the car is not fit for purpose as the car has not been restored to the correct standard.

I have got so used to having the HUD it is one of the best driving aids on the Prius. Like GC says not seeing the HUD correctly would drive him bananas; It would be the same for me.

• Like 1

I am pleased I have Toyota Insurance and so in the event of a windscreen needing replacement it would be done by a Toyota dealer.

I wouldn't bet your life on that, unless its stated in writing, which is wasn't when I last looked at their policies when buying the PiP.

A lot of people get hung up on Toyota insurance on here for some reason, forgetting that they are nothing more than an insurance agent / broker.

Their standard levels of cover are nothing overly special either to be completely honest.

http://defaqto.com/star-ratings/car-insurance-product-detail?ProductTypeView=StarRatingsCenter_VehicleInsurance_ComprehensiveCar_ProductDetails&Ratings=&Products=&Product=78478&Search=toyota&Sort=

4 star Defaqto rated, and don't even include key cover.

MEP's Yaris GS. You are correct about the windscreen and Toyota Ins. The policy states windscreen repairs would be done by one of their approved chosen glass companies.

You are incorrect about key cover. Key cover is included.

All other repairs are done by Toyota asurance approved repairer!!! I will find out if this means a Toyota repair centre.

Further to the above. I have just phoned Toyota insurers. Their approved glass company is the AA. glass Company. After a windscreen change if the HUD was not clear etc then the insurer would be responsible for correcting the fault, The chap I spoke to suggested this should apply to other insurers.

In the case of body repairs after a collision etc all Toyota cars insured with Toyota insurers go to Toyota main dealers for repair. The reason they do not state this on the policy is because they insure other makes of car. eg. Ford owners do not want their cars to go to a Toyota dealership.

So it would appear to me if the HUD on a car is not right after a windscreen change it is the insurers job to get the fault corrected.

So I am glad I am with Toyota car insurance.

• Like 2

When I went Toyota just before going through my insurance I was told the fitted cost by them would be 'not much less than £480' which accords with the earlier post above. I have just rung the dealer back and asked whether the HUD would render the EXACT same size as before on the replacement windscreen but he would give firm commitment, stating that there maybe some variation.

My problem in all this is well put by Pete earlier. The HUD is not blurred but it is about 15% smaller and readable. So when the fitter returned today that was his defence and he was not for changing.

So I will just have to get used to it so it seems!

We're (me and the Mrs) with Toyota Insurance and they're not the cheapest but they're not expensive either. They have been very good with a claim Mrs Cabbie had last year. All sorted and settled with no fuss, and it could have gone nasty due to the circumstances. The repair was via a main dealer, the hire car was an automatic as requested and it couldn't have been easier.

I know many other insurers offer similar benefits, but the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. For us they work out fine and with only a £100 excess too.

The moral is not to go for the absolutely cheapest insurer with the largest excess, unless you know what you're doing. An extra £50 a year and have good, wide coverage with a low excess is worth it for us.

• Like 2

Maybe a bit naive of me perhaps, but I tend to relax in the belief that anything with 'Toyota' in the title is going to be reliable :D .

I had my windscreen changed on the Prius Plus when it was around a year old through Autoglass and they fitted a Toyota screen so no problems with the HUD.

I don't know if this is their usual policy or because the Plus had only been out 18 months and a non OEM screen was not available.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links