Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius Heads Up Display

jonb12340

Just to resurrect this topic, I got a star shaped chip on my Gen 4 Prius screen last November, to which Autoglass did a repair.  They said the repair was guaranteed as long as I owned the car, and if a larger crack emanated from the same place, they would replace to screen FOC.

I was glad it was repairable as I was worried about the effect on the HUD, and also the built in camera and sensors used by the advanced safety features of the Gen 4.

However, 3 days ago, the crack grew until it covered over half the width of the screen.  Worries about the HUD etc returned.  However, with the extra work around the safety sensors, I elected to give them a try as:

1. it was free!
  2. my dealer said with the extra work around the sensors (including a new housing for them) their total cost would be around £600.

I needn't have worried.  They used a genuine Toyota windscreen, Head Up Display worked fine, calibration of the car's camera and sensors was a piece of cake.  Whole job took 2 hours, their technician was very impressive and polite (and he was quite knowledgeable about the features of the current Prius!).   Very happy bunny.

• Like 1

Do you mean Autoglass actually calibrated the camera and sensors or did you have to take it to Toyota for that ?

I have nothing but praise for Autoglass, when I had my screen replaced on the Prius+ I had, they used a genuine Toyota screen and because there were no sensors or HUD the job was completed and cured in less than 2 hours. 

1 minute ago, kithmo said:

Do you mean Autoglass actually calibrated the camera and sensors or did you have to take it to Toyota for that ?

Yep.  They did it all onsite.

When I had the repair done they came to my home, and if they were just fitting a basic screen without the safety kit they'd do that at home too.

As it was their depot was 33 miles away but to get the whole thing done in one go I was happy with that.

• Like 1

That’s very reassuring, thank you for letting us know :smile:

Yes well done Pete.  Out of interest how long did you have to wait before back on the road once claim accepted by the insurance lot.

My daughter drives a Nissan Note and woke up one morning recently to discover that her windscreen had mysteriously cracked badly during the night, while parked on her driveway.. She claimed on her insurance (£90 excess!) and had to wait 9 days before the fitter turned up to replace it. Can't remember if it was Autoglass or Auto Windscreens (but fairly sure it was one of the two), pretty shoddy performance nevertheless imho. Nissan Notes can't be that rare.

I didn't have to contact the insurer.  If I was happy to use their preferred supplier, Autoglass, Direct Line supply a number to ring them direct.

I got the chip repaired next day.  I rang Thursday afternoon to say I needed a new screen and they offered me several appointments on Saturday at either Norwich or Ipswich.

It was lucky that they chose to repair the original crack, as I only had to pay a £10 excess.  Because the repair failed I got the whole windscreen fee including the re-calibration.  If they'd originally said I needed a new screen, my company charges £75 excess.

If I chosen to get my dealer (or anyone other than Autoglass) to do it (£600) they would only have paid £150 towards it.

• Like 2

Incidentally, I expressed my concern about the HUD and the Autoglass guy said there were different screens for with/without HUD, and confirmed he'd selected a HUD friendly one for my car.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PeteB said:

Incidentally, I expressed my concern about the HUD and the Autoglass guy said there were different screens for with/without HUD, and confirmed he'd selected a HUD friendly one for my car.

That's worth knowing for future reference :thumbup: (for Gen 3 guys)

8 minutes ago, kithmo said:

That's worth knowing for future reference :thumbup: (for Gen 3 guys)

and Gen 4!

AFAIK all Gen 3 UK models had HUD (my 'basic' T3 did) but the lowest spec Gen 4 doesn't have it (or didn't at launch - don't know if that's changed).

But a non-HUD or non-OEM screen maybe why some owners have reported wavy HUD images after a new screen was fitted.  My guy also said there was some variation possible in how the screen was set in the sealant which can account for a slight change in size of the display.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great thread! I had no idea they would fit a non-OEM screen and NOT TELL YOU (yes, I know that some insurers will use 3rd party options if available because they're cheaper).

To hell with the cost - I'd want an original screen, especially if the 3rd party screens are optically inferior. Sod that!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got it, its so cool (even though its 9 years old! haha)

I will say, they regassed the AC because it wasn't blowing cold at all. Now its blowing cooler, but the air has a sort of dampness to it. It should blow ice cold and dry right?

Maybe the cabin filter has never been changed, thats usually one thing to look at.