Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg Log ?

Buddy01

Hi,

I purchased RAV4 2006 yesterday. Love it already. However I wonder is there a display where you can see the mpg. On my previous car it would say the mpg as you were driving.

Thanks for any info

Morning

Where the Speed / Rev dials are there are two black push buttons, one bottom left, one bottom right.

With the ignition on, pressing the right button gives you an instant and average fuel consumption. Press this button down and hold it down will reset the average figure to zero. A quick press of the button will cycle through miles left in tank, average speed and the final push removes the display.

The accuracy of the mpg is debatable.

Good luck with the new car

Regards Bryan

Thanks Bryan

I have found out and was shocked. 24 mpg...I was told to expect 40....oh dear. looks like i will be walking a lot unless im doing something wrong.

cheers. I always try to drive to achieve the best mpg..need to get used to this. Thanks

Don't believe the OBC ... it's not renowned for being accurate / reliable. Much better to do it the old fashioned way across a series of brim to brim tests. Over 56,000 miles my SR180 averaged 37.5 mpg so reasonable economy is perfectly possible.

• Like 1

" The accuracy of the mpg is debatable."

Yes,.. yes. Agree!! My T180 (04.2006...83k miles) 31-34 mpg... never went higher up

• Like 1

Don't believe the OBC ... it's not renowned for being accurate / reliable. Much better to do it the old fashioned way across a series of brim to brim tests. Over 56,000 miles my SR180 averaged 37.5 mpg so reasonable economy is perfectly possible.

I agree with Philip. We've had 5 RAVs since 2002, both 4.2 & 4.3, and not one had an accurate OBC, not surprising given the fact that things like tyre wear will eventually have an impact.

Nevertheless, some were optimistic but some were, surprisingly, pessimistic so it's important to do a few brim to brim calcs now & again so that you know the degree of accuracy for the average read-out. Then you can use the OBC as a useful guide and investigate if the average reading changes suddenly, perhaps due to a fault developing.

The best we had was a 4.3 that was about 4% pessimistic (i.e. the car was doing better than the OBC reported) and the worst was a 4.2 3-dr that was 15% optimistic. Out of the 5 RAVs only one was just about spot on.

• Like 1

I bought mine a few weeks ago. Dash readout says 51mpg I doubt that's close (manual diesel).

To do the mpg calculations. Fill up your tank. Zero your trip/odemeter (see above post). The next time you fill up write down the amount you put in. This will be in litres. Write down the mileage on your trip. Take the litre figure and divide by 4.5. This will give you how many gallons you have put in. Divide the mileage figure by the gallon figure. You then get you mpg. Doing it this way you don't have to use a whole tank each time.

• Like 1