Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Starter Issue

sceh

2004 Yaris, petrol.

The car runs OK but yesterday I tried to start and nothing happened. No starter. There was a sort of dull click which I could hear inside when I tried to start so I assumed it was the solenoid jamming or not engaging. Makes sense? Usually you have this effect when the Battery is almost flat but this is not the case. So I gave the solenoid a good welt with a hammer and it starts (very scientific..)

Looks like it is the solenoid? Can it be oiled or anything (if you agree with the diagnosis). If not, any suggestions? Could it be the starter motor?

Thanks for any pointers

So, it seems that the problem is that the solenoid engages (the dull click) but the motor does not turn because the brushes are making a bad contact.In the case of a bad Battery, the solenoid engages and the motor tries to turn and the noise is a bit different. The hammer improves the brush contact but the real answer is clean the brushes and contacts

I'm not sure about this one, but most modern starters are 'pre-engage'. The solenoid actually drives the pinion into engagement with the flywheel ring and at the end of the travel the contacts for the power to the motor are made.

Your problem could be stiff/sticky mechanical motion and nothing to do with contacts/brushes, so a clean/lube of the parts might work. (You don't say if this was a one off or recurring problem.)

It's also possible that the teeth have got damaged over time, operating the starter with the engine running will do this. So instead of being sharp and sliding into the flywheel they are a bit blunt. If the motor and flywheel are stopped just so then the blunt end hits the end of the opposing tooth instead of sliding down one side and engaging.

At 10 years old I'd be inclined to just swap it for a reconditioned unit and be done, but if you are tight for money have a go at cleaning/lubing it yourself.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links