Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dashcam

Andy H777

Parking mode is like the 'sleep' state of a computer. It'll only operate fully when the motion detection or G Sensor is triggered.

On regards to only record on start up. You can just used the supplied ciggy plug or if connecting to the Power Magic Pro, use both positive cables to the ACC fuse.

If you are worried about having a dead Battery when you return to your car. Take a look at what I've installed yesterday in replacement to my Power Magic Pro http://www.blackboxmycar.com/collections/dashcam-battery-pack/products/cellink-battery-b

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I brought a Lukas 7950 Duo back from Canada. It is very good but currently I can only run it off the cig lighter because a normal mini fuse box on the Hybrid Auris does not seem to exist. The Lukas has the power save and parking features of the Blackview but has a wifi viewer via an ap on a smartphone. If I can ever find the fuse box I will wire it up properly. The hand book does not show a normal box, just a type B with two 30A very odd fuses and I have searched under the glove box. If its there it is well hidden. I am not too worried about the parking feature as its garaged. I could tap off the back of the ODB port but I already have a Hud-e and the gap behind the weather strip on the drivers side is tight. Another alternative is the interior light as the panel looks to be held with screws Anybody ever found the mini fuses?

Thanks for your replies guys! Can the cam be just connected "normally" to positive (engine started) and negative if I'm not willing to use the camera in parking mode (G sensor and motion detection disabled)?

If I will enable parking mode, will it stay on all the time and recording? I though it would start recording only if motion is detected or G sensor detects an impact? Otherwise it would stay in stand-by mode, no?

Hello, Alex. :cheers:

I've got the mini 0805 and it's video quality is pretty good. I am using the original car lighter cable that came with it, but removed the socket that goes into the lighter, soldered an old USB cable from a phone charger and a HAMA USB lighter adapte like this one:

00108155abb.jpg

As you know, the lighter only has 12V after ignition, so once the car is started, the cam turns on and after turning the ignition off, it goes off a minute later (running on Battery during this minute). I have run the cable above the ceiling cover, behind the airbag curtains pillar on the driver's side, under the steeering wheel and into the central console. The USB plug goes out directly behind the hand brake and plugs into the lighter. :)

P.S. You can enable motion detection (I tried it but didn't like it as it turns off the recording when you stop at traffic light for example) or use the standard option - the cam will start when you start the engine. The G-sensor detection does not enable recording - it locks the file so it can not be deleted and overwritten as during normal operation, when the MMC gets full, the Dashcam starts recycling the oldest recordings, unless they are protected.

Hello hello, long time no see :)

Thanks for tips, I have actually figured out everything after my last post. Have tested two cameras, DOD RX8W and LS460W and I'm using the LS460 at the moment with ADATA 64GB memory card so there's plenty of space even I leave some video unlocked even though it should've been locked. I am not using motion detection and G sensor is disabled aswell. Cable is routed through the pillar behind the glove box. There I have the cigarette lighter extension to which the wire is plugged. Works perfectly and was easy to wire it all up. You can read the whole story here.

I've heard good things about the Mini, but not all seem to have good experiences. There are obviously some bad units out there aswell.

• 4 months later...

Can anyone recommend a good, accurate on-line source of instructions for wiring a dash cam into the Auris Hybrid? I'm au-fait with electric circuits in general, but I just don't know where to look to find out the best way to connect the dash cam.

The cigarette lighter is not ideal, as it would be far too intrusive and would stop anything else from using that socket.

The dash cam in question is the Elephas A118C, if that's at all relevant.

Go to dash am talking forum my pics and instructions are under New WiFi Enabled Lukas 7950 duo or search under Knobby. The hardest bit is finding the fuses. Use a mirror in the passenger footwell. Buy fuse taps.

If fitting rear camera the boot gator can be tricky but can be used. There are lots of threads for installations on Dashcam talk.

My dash cam is going to have to be fitted onto the windscreen, near the rear-view mirror (because the image is upside down if I put it on the dash). What's the best way of getting the cable down from the top of the windscreen to the fusebox under the dashboard?

bear in mind that there are regulations regarding how much intrusion into the swept area of the windscreen is allowable.

Also make sure that you can switch the screen off http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/109/made

It will be behind the rear-view mirror, from the driver's perspective. I've used the same dash cam on my previous car, and it isn't intrusive at all. Indeed, it's barely visible to the driver.

"What's the best way of getting the cable down from the top of the windscreen to the fusebox under the dashboard?"

It will tuck in behind the headlining and between the headlining and A pillar trim (shouldn't obstruct any airbag behind the trim). Then behind the door seal to dash level. It might be necessary to pull the seal off to achive this. Choose to route down whichever side the fusebox is obviously.

There are numerous viseos on Youtube showing how. I would say it's the same procedure for most cars with very minor variations.

I thought I had posted this last July but cannot find the post so here it is again.

Hi Guys

I finally got around to fitting my Lukas 7950 and it is very, very good. I picked the Lukas 7950 for a number of reasons. I wanted a high quality Duo front and back set up. Although I will rarely use the parked feature it may prove useful in the future.

The Lukas can be switched On, Ignition only, or park. It takes standard CPL & UV filters which protects the lens. Built in vehicle Battery cut -off, super-cap, GPS and a wi-fi dongle to an APP, on a smart phone. I was also aware that many Dash Cams cause DAB radio problems but Lukas appear to be well screened. Last but no means least, price. I bought mine from Calgary Dash Cam and saved £130 on the UK price. At £200 with CPL and 40GB its a bargain. The installation in a Toyota Auris Hybrid (Corolla in some countries) was not too bad once I found the fuse box. Toyota hide it upside down behind the glove box, at the bottom of the box. The only way to see it is to lay on your back, feet in the air, in the passengers foot well (RHD). Not a position I am comfortable with. The fuses do not relate to the hand-book and are not normal mini fuses but new flush fuses. The good news is the fuses I wanted to use were at the very end of the fuse box, marked P/ Outlet, 1, always hot, and Cig,17, ignition on. The handbook says the P/ Outlet is for the luggage area but on my Hybrid Auris that outlet only works with ignition on. I wanted to use fuse taps add a circuit and I needed A Hot and Ignition to use the camera in park mode. At first these new flush fuse looked too small to use fuse taps. After a visit to an auto electrician I was told they were the same pitch but while you can use standard mini fuses in the flush fuse holder, you cannot use mini flush fuses in the fuse tap. As the fuse taps need two fuses (one to replace the used circuit and one for the added circuit) you need two mini 15Amp and two 3Amp fuses. The Lukas glass fuses are not needed so these were discarded and the bullets soldered.

1. The Front camera was installed behind the mirror, the screen clip allows it to be slid out to get at the chips and I do not want any visual distractions, lights, voices or LEDs, while driving. All these features can be switched via the app or the viewer.

The cables tucked out of the way under the headliner, across the top of the passenger A pillar and the top of the B pillar to the back. These look to be above the air bags. The power cable runs down under the weather strip into the void behind the glove box. The rear camera is much smaller and is fitted to the high stop light cover. Access to the headlining can be gained by remove the three studs and the weather strip around the tailgate. The stop light plastic cover just pulls off and the cable can then be fed through the gator. The end of the gator in the tailgate is easy, but the end under the roof- lining is tricky to reseat. The hard white plastic saddle needs to be released and pushed out of the hole upwards, from under the headlining. The rubber gator fits over it and it then needs to clip back in the hole to form a tight seal. A piece of stiff wire and string may be a better way, in hindsight, but either is a bit of a fiddle.

Once into the tailgate it is all very straight forward, a slot in the cover for the cover to fit flush over the cable and job done. I could not avoid the heater wires completely but they hardly notice.

post-133586-0-34961300-1449486512_thumb.

post-133586-0-95998500-1449486522_thumb.

post-133586-0-17671000-1449486534_thumb.

These clips were taken at installation now I have added filters and updates video is better. The clips are too big to add to forum.

post-133586-0-90033500-1449489646_thumb.

post-133586-0-54967900-1449489649_thumb.

post-133586-0-50992800-1449489808_thumb.

post-133586-0-74254500-1449489810_thumb.

post-133586-0-63942700-1449489813_thumb.

• 1 year later...
On 01/03/2015 at 8:56 PM, Darksta said:

Parking mode is like the 'sleep' state of a computer. It'll only operate fully when the motion detection or G Sensor is triggered.

On regards to only record on start up. You can just used the supplied ciggy plug or if connecting to the Power Magic Pro, use both positive cables to the ACC fuse.

If you are worried about having a dead battery when you return to your car. Take a look at what I've installed yesterday in replacement to my Power Magic Pro http://www.blackboxmycar.com/collections/dashcam-battery-pack/products/cellink-battery-b

Just want to verify? Di you connect both the acc+ and batt+ cable to the acc fuse when using power magic pro?

No.  Just the acc fuse for the acc+ and the batt+ to any fuse that is always live like the door fuse.

Hi 

As you can see from the pic I have changed to the Gen 4 Prius. I moved the Lukas Duo Dashcam to the new car. After the Auris this was not too hard but the Prius results are not as good. The rear window angle causes reflections, the front mirror mount means the camera has to be mounted offset. Video is aceptable but not as good.

I did have my first problem at the beginning of the year. Despite the Lukas having Battery cut off protection built in I suffered a failure to start (dead battery). After a jump start I noticed the camera was stuck in Format mode even after the ignition was off. After a forced format it returned to normal. When the ignition is off the camera should power down with  "see you" message.  As I have the camera out of view behind the mirror to minimise distractions I missed this.

When the memory chips are full they automatically  format and carry on. If the vehicle is powered off while this is in progress the camera does not auto shut down. Lukas advise you to format monthly and monitor the recording regularly  to detect errors.  Memory chips do not last for ever, but in four years this is my first fault.

I did post the Prius installation but it is very similar to this. No experience of other cameras or power magic as the Lukas has the features built in. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links