Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying My 4 Year Old Prius Off Lease Company?

princeotter

I am about to take early retirement. Currently have a Jan 2010 Gen 3 Prius T-Spirt as a leased company car so need to get a replacement car. Trying to decide whether to buy this Prius or a new/newer one or alternatively a cheaper new car (eg Focus diesel estate Titanium spec).

Current car has done 40k miles, has obviously been serviced regularly and has just been given the extended hybrid certificate at last service. Never had anything go wrong, only needed two front tyres so far. The usual few minor car park dings, slightly kerbed alloys (and a very fine arced scratch on windscreen that seems to be in the coating (?) but oddly I think it might get a crack soon and need replacing :-) ). Lease company are asking just over £13k which seems a litte steep compared to dealer prices but they are inflexible (anybody ever managed to negotiate with Lexautolease?), but of course I know the car's history which has to be worth something.

I know that the Prius is generally pretty reliable and examples go on well past 150k but what can i expect to need to be done over next say 4 years (other usual tyres and regular servicing) e.g brakes, Battery replacement, transaxle, hybrid system, other major parts if I do around 10-12k per annum. What is likely cost of these 'expected' repairs. What realistically is the worst thing that might go wrong and how pricey would that be?

I like the driving style of Prius (eg being smooth auto), it has enough space and comfort, I like the gadgets it has (although obviously the Sat Nat is out of date but not sure its worth paying the update cost) and of course love the fuel consumption. Main downside are the rattles but I have lived wth them for 4 years... A new Prius would be nice but a bit pricey. However for cheaper alternatives I am nervous about getting a diesel due to DPF horror stories (and don't think I would like hit on MPG for a non-hybrid petrol eg Ford's 1.0 ecoboost)

I am driving the wife mad with my indecision so any help/advice/views greatly appreciated

By the way I meant to add I have looked at a Auris Tourer Hybrid and although it drove well and has great boot space, the legroom in back is simply not adequate and getting in and out of the back (due to depth of backs of front seats so feet don't go under them like in the Prius if you get my drift) was awkward and as we have to transport eldery relatives makes it a no-go unfortunately

The Auris has a shorter wheelbase than the Prius (2600mm as opposed to 2700mm) so access to the rear will be less. In fact the Prius has the same size wheelbase as the Avensis.

Why not have a look at the used car locator on Toyota's website to get an idea what other used Prii are going for in and around your area.

£13000 for a 2010 prius sounds expensive to me......I`m not sure if it would be sent to auction at the end of its lease, but if it did, it would never make any where near that much....at 4 years old it will be worth approx £11000 at best...plus maybe approx £500 for its low mileage and good condition.

But if you want to keep your prius, because you know its a good car etc, make them an offer to show you`re interested....but don`t get drawn into a bidding war to buy a car when there is plenty of good examples out there for less money. good luck with it.

• Like 1

Hi mate, I think its time you grabbed a bargin. That car will sell in BCA auction as its from Lexautolease. The price will be about 9k-10k. You need to ask what auction it will sell in and the date and then go and buy the car. Don't tell them you want to buy it, tell them your curious about how much it will sell for. When you bid for it they wont even know who won the bid, all they want is the money.

• Like 1

At 40k miles, a 2010(10) would be £12.5-14K at a dealers, so what they are asking is retail value.

I'd look around for another one at a dealers if you're going to spend £13K, there are plenty to choose from and you're going to get a 12 month warranty with the dealer which you won't with the lease company.

If you don't see anything you like, keep it and give them the £13K.

What has your dealer got on his forecourt? The dealer may have a better buy or know of one.

I got £13,500 for my immaculate 2011 Prius T Spirit in leather and only 15,000 miles. They had a buyer before I did the deal for a new car. I was told they made £2,000 profit!! Second hand Prius prices are holding up well and my dealer told me they have no problem selling good Prius cars.

Your firm is asking top dollar for your present car but if advertised privately I suspect the car could achieve near the asking price. The minor damage you mention would affect the selling price.

Hard decision for you to make but I would "shop" around for a good Prius with low mileage and no damage. I would not consider a smelley noisy diesel of any make.

That car was £20k new. You've had 5 years out of it paying a lease and now they want £13k?

Hmmm.

...The minor damage you mention would affect the selling price...

Sometime the lease contract requires the lessor (your company) to make good or repair such minor damage before returning the car, so if that's the case it won't reduce the selling or auction price.

I totally agree with ToyotaAuris, bought my last 4 cars at Bca auctions,very helpful people to deal with,if you find out when and where the car is being sold give that auction site a phone and they will tell you roughly how much they expect the car to make,give it a go you'll save ££££

I totally agree with ToyotaAuris, bought my last 4 cars at Bca auctions,very helpful people to deal with,if you find out when and where the car is being sold give that auction site a phone and they will tell you roughly how much they expect the car to make,give it a go you'll save ££££

When and if you sell it, show me pictures and give me number plate and I can find location of car, selling date and selling price. As you said it has damage, expect to pay even less, Lexautolease cars dont repair them they send them straight in. They are sold ASAP, most cars still have open drinks and other things left inside them.

most cars still have open drinks and other things left inside them.

Freebies :D

I'm curious how much I'd get for my old girl, 82k miles, ftsh,lovely bodywork, 60k miles as a taxi :(

Would they know if dumped at the auctions?

Grumpy Cabbie, Ive never used BCA to sell a car but I have used two other auctions when selling,both times I had to make a decleration on the entry forms that the car had/had not been used as a taxi/private hire vehicle,Im not sure if this is the case with BCA your best bet would be to give them a ring with your cars details and they would more than likely give you a rough idea of how much it would make and how much they would charge you to sell it,as Ive already said in my experience they are very helpful.

Do I have to declare to a new owner or is it a case of only tell if they ask? Buyer beware and all?

Otherwise I know the car is now ok, extended warranty on the Battery and probably worth more to me than others.

Grumpy Cabbie, If you are meaning do you have to declare any faults with the car to the auction then the answer is no, the majority of vehicles are sold as seen and the remander are sold as BCA assured which means they have had some very basic checks carried out to them and the results of these checks are made available for any potential bidders to see.

All cars which are given in by 'normal' people are sold in a Select sale. Select sales always have old cars which are literally on their last leg. Most of them sell in the hall and break down in the hall just after sale, people have to push it out. These cars are normally battered and done over 150k on 1.0 engines etc. People don't bid much on select cars and nor do I, all have hidden faults, mostly major. If you was to sell your car privately to the auction, dont expect much. Ontop the auction will take 30% of the money of which car sells at. Yes, so if you sell your car for £6,000 (this price will already be 40-60% below market price) you will loose £1,800 ontop!! Cars are ALL sold as seen unless your purchasing ones with AA warranty which seller has to pay £60 for, even with that its only a 500 mile or 48 hour warranty, not much. Also if you don't declare its a taxi, they will still find out They always talk in the hall when selling a car ''possible taxi, no come backs''. They will always say that on cars which have not been declared, they find out from VOSA and when you get your PCO license its on the database.

Also Grumpy Cabbie I have found a Pruis 2009 Gen 3 same as yours bu with 90k miles, Full Toyota history, not in the best condition, light dents and scratches here and there going for £7,000. Also it comes from Jemca Toyota group, sold with AA warranty, all clear it shows.

My car is mint apart from a small scratch on the rear bumper that's not through the paint.

I think it's worth more to me than a silly trade in. A taxi could be a car used for 200k miles around London and absolutely worn out, or one like mine where it only did 60k that was mollycoddled, as well as being a work horse.

I guess if I sell it privately and they don't ask what it was ever used for, and there are no faults (as Toyota have kindly replaced many of the expensive parts under warranty), then I should be ok?

If not, it's my car for ever :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links