Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hilux Newbie - Battery And Startup Question

GeckoWebDesign

Hi all,

This is probably a very basic question to all you experts out there. But I have recently inherited a 1996 Hilux (2770cc, SR submodel, 2 batteries)

I was told by the previous owners widow that you had to wait until the "beep" started and stopped before cranking it over.

Thats all good, I can wait for 20seconds or so.

But...recently, as of this morning I did the usual wait for the beep. But when I turn the ignition key....nothing...no engine turn over, no ignition lights. Battery level looks okay.

I pulled the ignition key out, waited for a bit and tried again. Same thing but this time no beep, no lights, no go. There was more life in Monty Pythons Parrot than my ute.

So I had to abandon my efforts and jump into my trusty Corolla.

Has anyone has similar experiences or can shed any light to what I am doing wrong...or is this something a mechanic should look at?

Regards

Chris.

poor battery connection ?

do interior lights dim to nothing, when trying to start?

Hi Rob,

I checked all the connections the night before and even took it for a drive (lights were turned off - I double checked that ha ha) because I had a similar problem the previous morning.

The ignition lights (batter, engine, oil etc) all looked normal at the first start. The second try, nothing at all.

Is there some sort of "reset" switch for these older models because you of this "warning beep" prior to starting?

another note, You a Kiwi? If so, same!

This could be one Battery gone duff,have them tested but make sure they are disconnected as a bad one will feed off the good one and give a false reading

Del

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links