Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Want An Auris, But The Mpg!

PFJ

Hi all,

I currently drive a little diesel aygo which is a great wee car, reliable and does 70mpg easily. However I do 800 miles a week on A-roads and motorways and is starting to get to me (road noise at 70mph for 1 hour is tiring!).

Anyway, I like the look of the yaris and love it's promise of reliability and 65mpg but h a 've read too many complaints about road noise.

Hence I like the idea of the Auris (I assume road road is not a big complaint amongst owners??). Assuming it isn't, it is the mpg that is putting me off at the moment. Fuelly.com uk mpg is around high 40's to very low 50's at very best for the diesel. Is this the experience of diesel Auris owners here? With the mileage I do mpg is very important, but so is ringing ears from road noise. I also don't want to go outside the Toyota brand as I love the quality.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks,

PFJ

If 2010-2012, my 2011 1.3 petrol gives me 55 MPG on trip computer on motorway but the other day I did brim to brim it showed 62 MPG.... The manufactures MPG is 48 but I dont know how I get so much :P Road nose is not bad, I use it on the motorway, never had a problem, however its slightly sluggish but does the job on the fast lane :D

Cheers, I am probably looking for an 2008-2010 2.0L D4D. I don't mind slow cars (our family car is a golf SDI), my key concerns are reliability, cabin noise and decent fuel efficiency.

PFJ

the coming Auris facelift may well get the BMW-derived 1.6 diesel - I imagine that may have better mpg (at least in the EU tests).

Just be aware of the possible head gasket issues with the Auris 2.0 or 2.2 litre D4D engines - see http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

If looking at a 2.0 D4D produced up to September 2009, check to see whether it has had a replacement engine. Engines produced after September 2009 have had modified engines.

• Like 1

Stay away from the diesels, they seem problematic and don't return so much MPG either. Petrols are more efficient, reliable and cheaper.

Nah, the diesels excel at distance driving and the 1.4D4D will beat almost all the other engines for long distance mpg, and has a proven track record for reliability to boot.

The older 2.0/2.2's have a lot more grunt, but the early ones had some design flaws. If you don't need the grunt, the 1.4 is a more reliable and economical bet, otherwise you'll need to be careful to check they've had the issues corrected for the other diesel lumps.

If you're looking for a new one, might be worth waiting to see how the BMW-powered 1.6D engine does; I had my doubts as BMW seem to have a reputation for early turbo failure, but so far the one car that has the new engine seems to have done well (Or at least I've yet to see any problems posted about it!).

If you want good MPG and reliability and don't mind sacrificing speed/grunt, it's best to look at the smaller engines. Toyota's larger engines have a track record for lower reliability - Not only the newer AD-type 2.0 and 2.2D engines, but the 1.8 and I believe the 1.6 VVTi petrol engines both had design flaws that caused high oil consumption at one point.

OTOH, the 1.3VVTi and 1.4 D4D have been practically bullet proof and consistently have better mpg than the bigger engines.

There's also the HSD Auris to consider - It is probably the quietest of the lot, and since your main reason for changing is noise levels I reckon that should be worth considering!

This is very odd as I have had my Auris from New it's the 2.0 diesel the 58 plate but registered Jan 2009 ....I get better economy than that said by Toyota ... I look after it properly never had to replace the engine never had a fault apart from recalls which I didn't have a problem anyway the wife had it for 3 yrs covered 14 thousand miles I've had it since and covered a further 42000 95% of that on motorway and dual carriageway / a roads in the 3 yrs this April I've had it never skipped a beat the biggest pest for head gaskets was the 2.2 I'm sure .... As I'm on hear everyday I rarely hear of the 2.0 having snags .... The only bug bear for me is the noise of the tyres but it's my own fault for putting stickier tyres on it ... And I'm sure a few others who have owned the 2.0 will confirm this

Only Toyota know the exact figures but probably 95+% of 2.0/2.2s 1AD/2ADs produced in the affected time frame don't develop the head problems.

It wouldn't surprise me if the more stressed they are the more likely they are to which might mean that the T180s were most likely, followed by the 150bhp 2.2 & then the 2.0 but there are far, far more 2.0s out there (at least in the UK).

It's probably also that there are so few other common recurrent issues & the potential cost out of warranty with Auris/Avensis/RAV that this one sticks out.

Yup, it's only the earlier ones that developed the problem and usually only when pushed.

IIRC, post-2008 the fixes had gone through manufacturing and the AD-series diesel engines were just as reliable as any of the others.

I assume the 1.8VVTi engines also similarly had their issues sorted out by then.

However, when you're buying second hand, it's likely you'll be looking at the older ones so it's important to find out whether any remedial fixes or the 3/4 engine replacement has been done or not. If it hasn't I'd be a bit more wary, or at least use it as a hefty bargaining point!

It's surprising how cheap a used Auris is to buy these days ... I thought they might hold value a bit better

My Auris (new) currently gets around 55 MPG, ones I have had over the summer period have got around 58 MPG, they have been new 1.4 versions

Kingo :thumbsup:

It's surprising how cheap a used Auris is to buy these days ... I thought they might hold value a bit better

Think it depends what you're comparing it with. For example, its always been cheaper than the Golf and this is reflected to a degree in used prices. Currently the list price of a base Auris new is around £3,000 less than the equivalent Golf - £13,995 for the Auris, £17,175 for the Golf (prices taken from the manufacturer websites).

Yup, it's only the earlier ones that developed the problem and usually only when pushed.

IIRC, post-2008 the fixes had gone through manufacturing and the AD-series diesel engines were just as reliable as any of the others.

I assume the 1.8VVTi engines also similarly had their issues sorted out by then.

However, when you're buying second hand, it's likely you'll be looking at the older ones so it's important to find out whether any remedial fixes or the 3/4 engine replacement has been done or not. If it hasn't I'd be a bit more wary, or at least use it as a hefty bargaining point!

for RAV4 it's Dec. 2008, Avensis it's February 2009 but iirc for Auris it's Sept. 2009

At least for the Avensis the 1.8 VVTi's issues were meant to be fixed ~mid-2005.

I thought they stopped doing the bigger diesel engines after the facelift ....

The facelift went on sale in the UK in 2010 - my first Auris was bought new in September 2009 before the facelift was announced. For the UK, the larger diesel engines were discontinued in the facelifted Auris due to the hybrid coming on stream later in 2010. The Turkish built 3 door was also dropped from the UK line up (don't know whether this continued in other markets).

Me too, I also receive much better fuel economy than what is said by the manufacturer. I forgot all about the 1.4, never heard of problems with it on this forum, not one!

Yeah, the 1.4D is a really nice engine :wub:

(And I'm not just saying that because I have one :lol:)

I must admit that I don't know about the problems with the 2.2 engine my car is a 2008 with only 47k on the clock is it still covered by toyota

I can choose my car, and I chose a 1.4 Auris Tourer Icon Plus, could have had Hybrid or petrol but love that 1.4 diesel

I think a lot of it is down to ignorant owners who just drive it till it goes wrong then go in to find out it ain't got oil in or something .... My father in law is the worst for it .... Rang me up broke down went and fetched him and his turbo had shed it's internals all in to the intake didn't mention the rattle it had for nearly six months prior ... That was a jag tho not Toyota .... I looked at the 1.4 then thought I dont want such a short ratio box on the motorway for 6 hrs

• Like 1

I think a lot of it is down to ignorant owners who just drive it till it goes wrong then go in to find out it ain't got oil in or something .... My father in law is the worst for it .... Rang me up broke down went and fetched him and his turbo had shed it's internals all in to the intake didn't mention the rattle it had for nearly six months prior ... That was a jag tho not Toyota .... I looked at the 1.4 then thought I dont want such a short ratio box on the motorway for 6 hrs

70 plus 10 on the motorway in sixth and its not even 2500 revs ;)