Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Long Does The Original Panasonic Battery Last?

davidgilmour

Has anyone already had to replace it? Did you guys know that the original Panasonic Battery costs 720 euros, over 500 pounds?

This is the main car Battery is it?

I'm still on my original one at the minute. 2010 iQ3 with the stop start system and about 40k miles on the clock. Seems fine so far.

Craig.

Of course no one will replace his battey with the expensive Panasonic one, but this is the one we have in our beloved IQ.

I don't think that Toyota replaces it with the exact same Battery.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2009_TOYOTA_IQ_KGJ10L-BGMNGW_8201.html

I had mine replaced under warranty at about 3 yrs old. They said the new Battery is supposed to be a better spec tahn the original?

And the lifespan of a 12v is so variable as to hardly being worthy of discussion. Some will last 2 years, some 8. It's like clutches, it all depends on the use and owner.

Our IQ gets a hard life with lots of short runs during the day, yet we're still on the original Battery. When it starts to fail we'll change it at Toyota and expect another 5 years out of it.

• Like 1

I can tell you that with this batteyr and the fact its low capacity, if you do something like sitting with the engine off and the radio on, then when it times out and you "reset" it , you have kind of signed its death warrant because once it has gome flat from draining it right down, it doesnt live long after that

David

Ours was replaced under warranty at just shy of 3 years old (suddenly failed one day leaving the car unable to raise the windows, never mind start the engine !!)

I trickle charge the Battery once per month now to rejuvenate it. The car does lots of short journeys, which, of course, kills a Battery.

Hello,

I had to replace both batteries of my IQs after 4 and 5 years.

I hate their small capacity, so I bought a wider 70 Ah Varta E24 for 83.90€ (usually installed in Diesel IQs).

This replacement implies to :

- modify the upper bracket (moving outward the two L to fit the wider battery: break the existing welds, glue the L at their new locations)

- replace the plastic pan (I found a free one from an old Renault in a car breaker).

The 70 Ah capacity makes a BIG difference, for a marginal difference of cost !

• Like 1

You should consider the capabilities of the intelligent alternator controller when charging a larger capacity Battery

David

Well, so far so good. I installed my Battery 6 weeks ago.

I could immediately feel a big difference when starting the engine: the starter became faster, the ignition is better.

And the Battery always stays fully charged.

No problem at all !

• 2 months later...

Still on the original Battery in a Nov. 2010 iQ2.

That said, FYI .....

Yuasa YBX5057 is an exact fit, with similar Ah and higher CCA, approved by Yuasa for use in iQ, and comes with T1/T3 adapters included.

I bought one online recently for £46 (including VAT and delivery) ...... though for replacing the 12V in our Prius.

There is no miracle :

this small Battery (same size as the original one) has only a 48 Ah capacity.

My new Battery is a 70 Ah, i.e; 46% more capacity.

Christophe,

My post wasn't aimed to comment on or criticize your 46% higher capacity Battery ... but a generic FYI post ...... to let others know that a cheaper alternative with same / similar specs. as original can be acquired at much lower cost than what Toyota charges here in UK (£75).

• 5 years later...

How long does a Panasonic Battery last? I bought a Toyota T100 p.u.in 1994 took it out after 3 years

& installed it in my 440 Bobcat loader never added water only time i had a Battery tender on it is when i had the engine out.

so now the Battery is at least 26 years old & still going strong.

Richard Varner

It varies. I just replaced the original Panasonic Battery in our iQ from 2014. So that's 6 years and less than 30k miles. That said the Battery works fine but it has died for no apparent reason twice now, hence we decided it was time for a new one. Just for piece of mind. 

Old thread i know but I have a 2009 iq on its original panasonic Battery and its still perfect. Amazing batterys if you ask me.

Like Sush above, l replaced my original panasonic Battery with a Yuasa YBX 057.            Note: NOT STOP/START MODEL

My original Panasonic Battery was 9 years old.

The YBX057 is sealed and maintenance free and has more cold cranking amps ability. 430 cold cranking amps as opposed to the 330 cold cranking amps of the standard Panasonic. Although I think I am right in saying that the panasonic Battery WHEN NEW is rated at 45 amp / hours

The Yuasa is 48 amp / hours so you can see they are similar in that respect.

Because the YBX 057 has smaller diameter "jap type" terminals fitted, the YUASA 057 battery is supplied with cone shaped battery terminal adaptors, to allow the fitment of the existing connecting battery cable ring clamps to the Yuasa. The Yuasa fitted WITHOUT THE NEED to modify tray or securing bracket.

Just as an FYI, my original Panasonic batt gave up the ghost last week (original purchase June 2010). The original Battery lasted over 10 years which I think was pretty good. I'm almost certain it would still be going if it wasnt for the virus. I commuted with my car for 10 years, and having the batt constantly fully charged seems to have contributed to its long life. In 2020 I was working from home since March and the car hardly got used at all. I purchased a trickle charger back in April 2020 expecting issues with such an old Battery, but in hindsight looks like I didnt use the charger enough. I didnt connect it constantly and opted to only use it every 2-3weeks. The cold snap in late Dec 2020 seems to have killed the batt, it was likely low charge when the temps went minus. RIP

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links