Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Avensis Should I Buy?

thatch

Hi Guys, My trusty 2002 d4d avensis has finally bit the dust 360k miles but someone drove into the side of it and now not worth fixing! I need a car as a taxi and was thinking of going for a 2009 new shape avensis 2.0d4d. Just wanted fellow owners review on them. Some have said the electric handbrake may give trouble and that they are a little sharp on diesel. Any opinions would be welcome...Thanks in advance...

Paddy

Hi! I have a 2009 2.2 Dcat T180 wagon and love it! In over two years it has never missed a beat or had any problem at all. EPB is ok but button not in the best position (IMO). I am down to 42mpg. average now from 45 (winter) and get up to 47/8 in the summer long runs.

I don't do stop start or short runs and always get it up to temp. but your taxi usage wiil no doubt differ from this, others will advise with their aveage's which might be more helpful to you.

Overall I think it is a great car and my first Toyota, had VW for many years but I think they have let things slip over the last decade or so. Not the quality they once were (IMO) Good luck if you decide to get one.

I had a 59 plate 2.0 diesel TR for a bit. It could return 55-60 mpg if driven very very nicely, and averaged more like 45-53 mpg. I believe Toyota tweaked the engine at a later point to give better economy tho. To compare - I now have a 12 plate 1.8 petrol auto and it can give 47 mpg, but averages about 37-43 mpg. The petrol has more bhp but is a bit revvy, where the diesel had a fair bit of low down torque. The clutch on the diesel shuddered an odd time as if it could turn out to be soft (at higher mileage).

I haven't had any handbrake problems. In fact I haven't had any problems at all, except a rattle from the brake sliders. It's a comfy, well kitted out car (both of them were).

Hi Guys, My trusty 2002 d4d avensis has finally bit the dust 360k miles but someone drove into the side of it and now not worth fixing! I need a car as a taxi and was thinking of going for a 2009 new shape avensis 2.0d4d. Just wanted fellow owners review on them. Some have said the electric handbrake may give trouble and that they are a little sharp on diesel. Any opinions would be welcome...Thanks in advance...

Paddy

what are your local council regulations does it have to be a under a certain age or does it go on euro emissions.

There are no real regulations on emissions here in Northern Ireland...any age of taxi is ok as long as it's family size and clean and good condition...my old avensis was a brilliant car and I would find it hard to move from Toyota now...did consider a 2011 skoda octavia 1.6tdi for low tax and running costs but not sure if it would stand up to high miles.

if you can have any car why not buy another avensis mk1 or avensis mk2.

The mk3 will have a dpf plus there is no hatchback!! and spare parts will be more expensive compared to older models as its a newer car.

1cd-ftv is a good realible workhorse if looked after.

I don't think the skoda is as big as the avensis inside.

Skoda would be my 2nd choice but the 1.9 tdi would be the 1st choice.

2009 avensis, what to watch out for;

What to watch out for

Six speed diesel automatic in the Tourer puts the emissionslb_icon1.png up to 174g/km.

Tourer's load cover and dog guard are heavy and clunky to remove.

Parkinglb_icon1.png brake switch not liked on 2009-2011 cars. In the wrong place (in front of left knee) and is counter-intuitive to operate. Red alert light on the dash only stays on for a few seconds so it's impossible to check if the brake has been applied properly once you have left the car. As one of the modifications for the 2012MY Avensis the parking brake now comes on automatically when the ignition is shut off. But if the engine is still running then you have to find it and press it counter-intuitively.

Not huge numbers of 2009 - 2015 Avenis models sold in the UK, but still an impressively short list of faults.

Front brake calliper guide pins seem to develop extensive play in the bushings in the calliper carriers and develop a rattle. The play is extensive, so you can toggle the calliper left-right so you hear this sound. Reader noticed after 12,000km.

26-1-2012: With 2.2 litre diesels, problems over regenerating of DPFs can lead to overfuelling that can damage the piston rings and bores. Apparently Toyota has extended the warranty to 5 years (even on 3 year warranted cars) to cover this.

28-11-2012: Curious intermittent power steering failure at parking speeds reported.

31-8-2013: Check strap cracks the frame of driver's and front passenger's doors.

8-1-2015: Front wheel bearings of 40,000 miles a year 2013 Avensis Active Tourer needed replacing under warranty at 79,500 miles.

Over the last few months I have been seeing a noticeable increase in T27s used as private hire cars here in Glasgow. Don't know why but it has definitely been there.

The 2.0D got some significant tweaks when the facelift came out (end of 2011) - claimed 15% improvement in fuel use & 14% in emissions. Plus of course the other changes to the car.

• Like 1

Thanks for replies guys...my first choice would be the previous 08 model but hard to get a good clean one. I seen an 09 old model 2.0d4d with 52k miles on it...It has had 3 owners from new...seems lot of owners for such low miles?...its in England and I'm in Northern Ireland so bit of a punt heading over for one...They are like hens teeth over here!

I had a 2009 2.0D4D TR as a company car for a while. I really liked it, I thought it was a better car all round than the 2008 model (which I also had 2.0D4D TR) Electric handbrake location or operation never bothered me (although it is counter intuitive) I generally found it very quiet, comfortable and easy to live with. I once did Birmingham, to Glasgow, to Fort WIlliam, to Edinburgh, and back to Birmingham in one go with no problems at all, I felt fine when I got home.

I liked it so much that when I lost the company car I bought my own facelifted 2012 2.2 T-Spirit, which was a mistake, it's worse than both the 2008 and 2009 models. It's like they have taken all the good bits of the pre facelift model.. and thrown them away.

So yes I would say 2008 model is good, 2009 model is better. At 6 years old though for a 2009 model I would be worried about it being out of warranty and the cost of repairs if it goes wrong (thinking head gasket and electric handbrake faults)

"I liked it so much that when I lost the company car I bought my own facelifted 2012 2.2 T-Spirit, which was a mistake, it's worse than both the 2008 and 2009 models. It's like they have taken all the good bits of the pre facelift model.. and thrown them away. "

Not heard that before - can you describe in more detail what you are missing?

Me, I find that the satnav whilst having a "prettier" display & POI etc. is less "usable" than the TNS700 in my T25 - I liked being able to run through a whole journey beforehand & dragging the screen around.

Thanks for replies guys...my first choice would be the previous 08 model but hard to get a good clean one. I seen an 09 old model 2.0d4d with 52k miles on it...It has had 3 owners from new...seems lot of owners for such low miles?...its in England and I'm in Northern Ireland so bit of a punt heading over for one...They are like hens teeth over here!

Which websites are you looking at?

The usual sites...autotrader, eBay, Gumtree and used cars ni

The usual sites...autotrader, eBay, Gumtree and used cars ni

does it have to be a certain colour?

I have a 2012 diesel 2 L, it's a great car all around but I think you'd be better off with a Mk2 for use as a taxi due to fuel economy. The best mpg I've ever got from a full tank is 48 and this included a long motorway journey. The usual is 44-47 in summer and 41-42 winter, actually got 38mpg last month though it was very cold.

No any colour will do! Thanks for that I'm now leaning towards 08 model...fuel economy is a big thing for me...just out of interest do any of you guys live near cannock in Stafford?

one thing to watch out if your going between 06-08 is the head-gasket. I would try and get one with a replacement engine from Toyota or take your chances.

This is the only thing that put me off buying a 06-08 as a taxi, we went for a 06 as we know the engine, done nearly 60,000 in it. changed the timing belt and water pump as soon as we put it on its due again, hopefully will be done sometime this month. since then its had a rear caliper, new rear brake discs and pads passenger ball joint, x2 front pads, may need to do the clutch as its gone heavy, filters and oil are done regularly. much better than the vauxhall vectra we had!

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/avensis/60954/used-buyers-guide-toyota-avensis

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/avensis-2003/?section=good

I don't like the new ones very much. Toyota got it bang on in the first place! I would go for an older low mileage model . We know they're pretty much bullet proof

and the electrics won't be a future nightmare ! I guess it just depends on what image you want to portray and a newer car makes sense if it's to be a Taxi.

(I paid £800 for mine 5 years ago and It's still going strong!)

• Like 1

See my post regarding clutch, now trading in for a Kia, pity, it is a nice car but over a grand to replace a clutch at 31500 miles!!!

"I liked it so much that when I lost the company car I bought my own facelifted 2012 2.2 T-Spirit, which was a mistake, it's worse than both the 2008 and 2009 models. It's like they have taken all the good bits of the pre facelift model.. and thrown them away. "

Not heard that before - can you describe in more detail what you are missing?

Me, I find that the satnav whilst having a "prettier" display & POI etc. is less "usable" than the TNS700 in my T25 - I liked being able to run through a whole journey beforehand & dragging the screen around.

Lot's of little things really

The ride is worse on the new one, it's jiggly, crashy, and every sharp ridge send a shudder through the body. Which is frustrating as the handling is a bit sharper than before, shame it can't ride properly over anything other than billiard smooth road. Could be more to do with the 18" alloys as my last one had 17"

The 2009 model was really comfortable, this one (2012) is fantastically uncomfortable, it's like there's a metal bar pushing in your mid back (and yes I have adjusted the lumbar support all the way in) The only difference is my previous 2009 model had cloth manual seats, the 2012 one has leather electric seats. Also to be close enough to reach the wheel I have to be too close to the pedals, and vica versa. Didn't have that problem in the 2009 model.

The 2008 model (Admittedly a hatch) had luggage hooks in the boot. This doesn't, so you put your shopping in the boot and by the time you get home it's all over the boot floor.

The Sat-Nav system in the 2009 one was really good. The new system:

-Has a smaller screen

-Doesn't tilt so the sun reflects off it into your eyes and you can't do anything about it, or see the screen anymore.

-Takes forever to load

-Can't speak properly, what on earth is the A 4've hundred anyway? or the 3rld exit.

-Instead of saying take the 2nd exit onto the A501, it has to spell it out for you, take the second exit onto the A five hundred and one. By the time it's spewed it all out you've lost track of what it's trying to tell you. Especially worse with traffic announcments.

-It's slow to give you directions when coming off motorways, "take the next exit", it says. Yes thank you but then what? your almost onto the roundabout at the end of the slip road before it tells you what lane to get in (invariably not the one your in) the old system used to tell you to take the exit and then keep right, or left as appropriate.

-It doesn't so much zoom in as just make the map bigger. The old system allowed you to zoom in but the resolution increased as you did so.

-You can set the arrow on the screen to always point in the direction of travel, which I prefer. And it works fine until you come to a roundabout, then it changes so the map stays still and the arrow travels around the screen, which is really confusing and disorienting

-It's supposed to have active traffic mapping or something. Doesn't work, it routinly directs me into 4 lanes of stationary traffic on a daily basis. if it really understood traffic patterns you'd have thought it would have learnt by now. I go home by a different route now but sometimes for a laugh I set the sat nav and it still trys to route me into what I know is hell on earth. The old system wasn't any better in this respect but at least it wasn't pretending to be clever.

-The old system, when you were on a motorway following a route, would give you information on how far to the next services, and details about them. You could skip ahead to see how far the next fast food eatery, or filling station was. New system doesn't have that.

Sorry that was very OT, but, there you go. I'm sure I can think of more things to put down.

Thought of another one (didn't take long)

Fuel economy, ok the 2009 model was a 2.0 and my 2012 one is a 2.2 it's not going to be as economical but. By and large the 2009 model did what Toyota said it would, this one won't, I'm struggling to get 40mpg out of it.

ride: probably the 18" wheel/tyre combo. I'm currently on 17" for Winter & it definitely rides better on those - but it also doesn't handle quite as well (not that it's ever good tbh - too much weight up front means that the 2.2s understeer badly).

Seats: I have no issues. Perfectly comfy for me even on a 300 mile straight through drive.

You can get a horizontal cargo net to use those.

Unfortunately they deleted the mounting points for the vertical cargo net in the facelift (at least for the Tourer) but I have found a solution for that (cost less than the oem setup too). Not to mention that you can get the cargo manager (I have a spare if you want to buy 1).

I agree that the satnav is style over substance but I don't seem to have it quite as bad as you. What firmware & map version are you running?

I found that the eco route option often takes you down "roads" (i.e. some have literally been tracks) that you never would choose yourself. So I never use that now.

Afaik the active management isn't in the system (so it itself can never learn) but is broadcast over the air. I've yet to find a satnav (or an RDS radio for that matter) that warns you of an issue before the last exit that you could have got off to avoid ...

As for mpg is your car a D-CAT? Mine isn't & I do think that it is a bit thirstier than my T25 2.2 but that didn't have a DPF & this one does. :(

Of course mpg is also down atm because of the cold weather.

• 1 month later...

Just made the change from a 2005 to a 2009. 2009 has a bigger interior with lots of room. But I miss the massive boot space of the 2005.

• Like 1