Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Original Or Aftermarket Clutch? Please Help!

vchohan1

Hi All, really new to the forum so hello! I have a Toyota Yaris T Sport 2003 and my clutch needs replacing. Toyota have quoted £230 just for the part and the after market ones I. E. From eurocarparts is £60. Can you please pass on your experience and advice on what I should really go for etc any decent makes I should look out for?

Thanks!

At that age I would buy cheap. If the car is on its original clutch it has lasted 13 years. I doubt whether - based on normal UK life- your car will be on the road in 5 years time. But if you do expect to keep it, buy Toyota.

Of course, you would be foolish to replace the clutch plate only: I would also replace the clutch cover as well...

Thanks Madasafish. That's really helpful. Do you know what brands I should look out for? What difference will I notice from have a new clutch or Na aftermarket one?

Eurocarparts have a good reputation so whatever they are selling should be OK.

No idea in any difference in feel.

I presume clutches still have a thrust bearing, so dont skimp by not replacing that. If you kept the old bearing and it starting getting noisy 6 months down the line its an expensive job just to change something that will only cost a few quid extra now.

So clutch friction plate, pressure plate and bearing.

You probably just by all three in a set.

Thanks, yes I'm looking at all 3 bits. I've done some research and the brand LUK seems to have good reviews. I hardly drive the car, it's don't 110k miles. I found LUK clutch for £64 for all 3 parts. Toyota are asking for £235 without fitting for all 3 parts. Ive got someone who can fit it for me. Thinking of going with LUK since I'll only do about 6k miles a year. Any thoughts? Should I be looking at other makes?

From what I read LUK does have a good reputation. A quick search shows they are UK made in Sheffield, 45,000 assemblies PER DAY

LuK are OE supplier for Toyota and other car manufacturers. my 2.0 D4D flywheel and clutch had LuK stamped and Toyota it was a dual mass flywheel.

I have known Toyota to use Aisin clutches too.

post-125194-0-45198500-1425242529_thumb.

Ah that's reassuring to know. I think given I won't be driving the car much anymore it's a safe bet to take, so I bought one and just waiting for it to arrive now. That and a another gearbox is going in.

You have a lot of choice with the T-Sport as there is a wide selection of OE and sports clutches for it!

For my D4D, there seemed to be a lot fewer; Ended up getting a Valeo on on my old 3-door. It felt a bit softer IIRC, but that may have just been the newness?

Last time I shopped around, Toyota wanted £700 all-in to change, nearest franchise garage wanted £550 and my travelling mechanic mate did it for £400 with the Valeo kit (Friction disc, thrust bearing, spring and he also changed the slave cylinder, which is not part of the kit).

I ended up buying the LUX for £64 and have a friend to fit it for free! Job done! Let's see how it works out for me.

• 6 years later...
On 3/5/2015 at 8:40 PM, vchohan1 said:

I ended up buying the LUX for £64 and have a friend to fit it for free! Job done! Let's see how it works out for me.

How did the LUK clutch work out? 

Hi Wilf,  and welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

I just done a simple check and vchohan1 has not been on the forum since March 5th 2015, maybe that post was his last.  So it highly likely you not going to get a reply from vc.        
For your info, all I did was click on the avatar and the info pops up. Handy check before replying to a thread that is old.

Oem or Blueprint. Luk , sachs, aisin also good but can be fake if bought from unknown sellers. 

19 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Oem or Blueprint. Luk , sachs, aisin also good but can be fake if bought from unknown sellers. 

You're certainly a Blueprint fan Tony!:ph34r: I agree though, their parts are of good quality.

1 hour ago, mrpj1 said:

You're certainly a Blueprint fan Tony!:ph34r: I agree though, their parts are of good quality.

Haha, yes I like them and recommend to others, some of their parts are good quality but some are exact brands as oem but comes in a blue box instead of a red with Toyota name on it. I also had failed wheel bearing blueprint only after 45k miles but the other 3 bearings are still fine after 60k miles. I usually will only recommend any brand parts or accessories if I had tested them myself first 👌👍